System commands Shortcuts
Started by Jang

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

13 posts in this topic
Jang

9 posts 3 threads Joined: Feb 2005
02-14-2005, 01:33 PM -
Don't know if it's possible, but I would like to be able to create shortcuts to system commands like copy delete etc but working with all aplications. Not like an aplication that has a delete function in it, but for example, when writing text in the browser and be able to select it, click the buttton and erase it. That would make truelaunchbar even better for tablet pcs.
I do know how to create shortcuts for functions like shutdown, but maybe that'll be apreciated by other users.
The idea is to create a new shortcut and in the properties instead of the path, be able to select the command.
Off topic, but I would also like to say that I have been using a pirate version :roll: until I was able to buy it. Now I'm a proud owner of TLB and Yuri deserves the support... Smile
HorusUK

458 posts 40 threads Joined: Dec 2003
02-14-2005, 03:43 PM -
As far as I am aware, there is no easy way to create global delete/cut/copy/paste functions, but I am willing to be proved wrong Smile

As for shortcuts to shutdown, there's always the Turn Off Computer plugin which allows you to have a button on a TLB toolbar. It's skinnable too.

Finally, welcome to the forums!
Back once again...
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
02-15-2005, 02:50 PM -
As I know it is impossible to make shortcuts to delete/cut/copy/paste. I'll try to make these as shortcuts.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Jang

02-17-2005, 09:28 AM -
Maybe I'm being to obvious but you could just simulate key presses like "control x" "control c" "control v" and delete key, I think, also for the shutdown I meant a one click solution without having to mess with the shutdown menu or confirmation dialog
HorusUK

02-17-2005, 10:13 AM -
I'd never recommend a button that does an instant shutdown, but as you asked...
  1. You could download Sysinternals Psshutdown tool, then create a shortcut to it.
  2. Create a shortcut to rundll32.exe or shutdown.exe as detailed in this handy shutdown list (for more than just Windows OS)
Hope this helps...
Back once again...
Jang

02-17-2005, 10:17 AM -
Thanks for the reply but as I said, i'm not interested in the shutdown shortcut, my interest is in the copy, paste, and delete functions
Sam Hasler

93 posts 17 threads Joined: Jun 2003
02-17-2005, 04:09 PM -
cut, copy, and paste are not "system commands" they are provided by each application individually. They shortcuts CTRL+X, CTRL+C, CTRL+V are only the same in (almost) every application because the developers choose to use those convension for consistencies sake (and because users complain loudly if they don't).

Assuming the shortcuts listed above were always valid and you could send them as keypresses to applications (that's what you'd have to do, fake keypresses, there is no global "copy" etc. command recognised by every application) it would also not be straightforward to implement because the moment you click on TrueLaunchBar it has the focus, and the application you were using becomes inactive. TrueLaunchBar then has the problem of working out which application you were using, which could include modal and any number of and non-modal windows for that application.

(A modal window is one which must be dismissed before the rest of the application can be used)
Jang

02-18-2005, 03:51 PM -
Thanks for explaining that
txl

84 posts 27 threads Joined: Dec 2004
02-19-2005, 02:48 AM -
at least fior the shutdown is it quite easy.

find "shutdown.exe" in the windows folder

make a shortcut of it

in the shortcut properties add the following to the command

shutdown -s -t0 -f

save the shortcut.

put it in the TLB bar, or make an alias in the command line plugin.

for more options

open a dos window

type

shutdown ?

look at the options and try it, you can make a reboot, with a message, aftyer a delay of xx seconds.....
HorusUK

02-19-2005, 07:29 AM -
txl Wrote:at least fior the shutdown is it quite easy.

Assuming you have W2K with the resource kit, W2K3 or XP...
Back once again...
txl

84 posts 27 threads Joined: Dec 2004
02-19-2005, 07:37 AM -
it's also possible with 95/98 using the same method with rundll32.EXE

c:\windows\rundll32.exe user,exitwindows

This being said I dont know if it's OK with 3.11 or DOS 6.22 :lol:
joelpt

10 posts 4 threads Joined: Feb 2005
02-20-2005, 04:08 PM -
You can do what you are talking about easily with Windows PowerPro:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://powerpro.webeddie.com/">http://powerpro.webeddie.com/</a><!-- m -->

This program lets you create any number of button-bars, put them wherever you like on the screen, and assign a wide range of system functions to them.

For example if you wanted to make a button which does Copy:

1. Make a new button-bar in PowerPro (go to Command Lists, New List, give it a name, and check "Auto show as bar")

2. Click Properties and set Position to Left Caption (or whatever you prefer) and OK

3. Make a new button (click Add After) and give it a name (say "CopyIt"), you can also use icons

4. For the button's Left command choose *Clip, for clip action choose Copy, hit OK a couple times

Now doubleclick to highlight some text in any application and click your CopyIt button, voila.

PowerPro is Windows on steroids ... a lot of steroids. It's quite possible you could reproduce your entire TLB setup using PowerPro (tho it would be a real pain). I use it mostly for fancy keyboard macros, you can set up all kinds of macros and have hotkeys which react in specific applications, etc. Makes it easy to add that missing feature to a given program.
Joel Thornton
Jang

03-04-2005, 12:32 AM -
thanks that should do it