Improve perfomance by changing location of TLB bars?
Started by Klerk

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
Klerk

8 posts 4 threads Joined: Feb 2005
03-04-2005, 03:23 PM -
I hope this post is not too long :-) and I hope someone can manage to read through it inorder to advise me!

In the past (before I installed TrueLaunchBar) I used to create my XP toolbars/menus as folders in C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Start Menu.

The advantage of that location was that I could define hotkeys (using just WinXP's properties tab and without a hotkey utility program) if the shortcuts were in that folder. By contrast, such hotkey definitions do not work for shortcuts in the Quick Launch bar.

Now I am using TLB.

I have TLB set to use the Quick Launch bar in C:\Documents and Settings\Nemo\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch. In addition to that I have created extra toolbars/menus for TLB and I have placed these in C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Start Menu.

Maybe that location is a bad choice because (1) something seems to be slowing my system down when I boot up. Also (2) there seems to be a delay when I use hotkeys. Furthermore (3) I find that my hotkey finder tool (Hotkey Detective from PC Mag) now takes a great deal longer to find and report on all my hotkeys.

So my FIRST QUESTION is ... would I get better performance if I moved all the toolbars/menus which I use TLB with to the same folder as Quick Launch is in? Or would I get better performance if I moved all those toolbars/menus including Quick Launch over to C:\Documents and Settings\Nemo\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch?

Unfortunately the answer to my question does not seem to be as simple as trying it and seeing what happens. I have done that and I find that when I move those folders which define a toolbar/menu then TLB somehow still manages to display that toolbar! Even though it is no longer where I told TLB to look for it. So I guess TLB has its own copy and this makes it harder for me to understand what steps to take to remove TLB's "overhead" when I test the various locations.

So my SECOND QUESTION is ... how do I properly detach or delete these toolbars in TLB so that any residual information which TLB keeps about that toolbar also gets removed. In this way I hope to make sure that TLB does not contribute to any possible performance slowdown when I test new menu positions.

Also does anyone have any information about slow/fast access to hotkeys in these locations.

Thank you for any information.

Klerk
TLB v3.2 with net monitor & system monitor, Win XP 5.1.2800 + SP1 with all patches, Via 266 chipset + 768 MB
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
03-05-2005, 03:23 PM -
Quote:So my FIRST QUESTION is ... would I get better performance if I moved all the toolbars/menus which I use TLB with to the same folder as Quick Launch is in? Or would I get better performance if I moved all those toolbars/menus including Quick Launch over to C:\Documents and Settings\Nemo\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch?
This is the best location for toolbar folder. And you can create Virtual Folder that show you a content of you Start->Programs menu.

Note: Virtual Folder loads content only on first opening.

Quote:So my SECOND QUESTION is ... how do I properly detach or delete these toolbars in TLB so that any residual information which TLB keeps about that toolbar also gets removed. In this way I hope to make sure that TLB does not contribute to any possible performance slowdown when I test new menu positions.
Close toolbar then run Start->Programs->True Launch Bar->Reset TLB Settings. Select the toolbar folder and press Start. This utility will clear all TLB settings for selected toolbar.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Klerk

8 posts 4 threads Joined: Feb 2005
03-07-2005, 04:31 AM -
Oh noooo! Yuri, I made a real mess-up and I muddled up the question I asked. My apologies!

If you don't mind, I will re-post a bit of what I wrote and this time I will make sure that I ask my question properly! :-)

Purely for clarity I have shown my past situation when I did not have TLB in blue and my current situation with TLB installed in brown.

-------

THE PAST

In the past (before I installed TrueLaunchBar) I used to create all my XP toolbars by creating folders in C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Start Menu.

The advantage of using C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Start Menu for the toolbar folder was that I could define hotkeys (using only WinXP's "Properties" tab and without needing a special hotkey utility program).

Unfortunately, such hotkey do not work if they are defined in the Quick Launch bar. So I didn't use Quick Launch at all.

THE PRESENT

Now I have installed TLB and I am using it regularly.

I have got TLB set up to use the Quick Launch bar in C:\Documents and Settings\Nemo\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch. In addition to that I have created extra toolbars for TLB and I have placed these extra toolbars into C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Start Menu.

I wonder if C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Start Menu is a bad choice because (1) something seems to be slowing my system down when I boot up. Also (2) there seems to be a bit of delay when I use hotkeys. Furthermore (3) I find that my hotkey locator tool ("Hotkey Detective" from PC Mag) now takes a lot longer to find and report on my hotkeys.

So my QUESTION is ... in general would I get better performance from TLB if I moved all the toolbars which I use TLB with to be in the same folder as Quick Launch =C:\Documents and Settings\Nemo\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch?

Or in general would I get better performance from TLB if I did the opposite and I moved all my toolbars including the Quick Launch toolbar to C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Start Menu?

Thank you.

Klerk
TLB v3.2 with net monitor & system monitor, Win XP 5.1.2800 + SP1 with all patches, Via 266 chipset + 768 MB
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
03-07-2005, 03:14 PM -
Sorry, sometimes it is very hard for me to understand so long posts Sad

First I want to ask you about the terms you are using:

Quote:I have got TLB set up to use the Quick Launch bar in C:\Documents and Settings\Nemo\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch. In addition to that I have created extra toolbars for TLB and I have placed these extra toolbars into C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Start Menu.
Ho do you create these extra toolbars? Is this separate toolbars on desktop or taskbar? Or you tell about menus?

Now about performance of True Launch Bar. Generally performance do not depends of the location of toolbar. You can create toolbar folder at any location. The performance depends of how many shortcuts have toolbar folder only. And I do not see any reasone to make C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Start Menu as toolbar folder because (1) there are too many shortcuts and all shortcuts will be loaded by TLB, and (2) TLB uses own hotkeys handling.

The best usage of True Launch Bar: make one or more toolbars (the real toolbars on taskbar or on desktop) and add there needed shortcuts. Also you can add all shortcuts from Start Menu - the best way is to create Virtual Folder. Virtual Folders is the best choise if menu must contain many shortcuts because VF loads only when you first open it.

Some examples you can see on the screenshots section.

Quote:So my QUESTION is ... in general would I get better performance from TLB if I moved all the toolbars which I use TLB with to be in the same folder as Quick Launch =C:\Documents and Settings\Nemo\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch?
Yes you get better performance but only if you create Virtual Folders. If you copy all shortcuts from Start Menu you'll get the same problems.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com