Explorer crashing when opening video files (TLB 3.2.4)
Started by Unbeliever

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

44 posts in this topic
Unbeliever

102 posts 17 threads Joined: Nov 2004
03-23-2005, 02:40 AM -
djmorgan Wrote:Well I can tell you this as a fact, I have just gone back to 3.2 no issues, then to 3.2.3 beta with no issues.

So if it is system dependant it is being introduced by 3.2.4 beta, which I will avoid until fixed :x

same here. explorer was crashing so much i had to go back to 3.2.3 and everything is running fine.

i never had anything like this with previous versions (including the betas)
syntaxerror64

9 posts 1 threads Joined: Apr 2005
04-13-2005, 02:09 PM -
I have been experiencing this very thing, every time I click on an AVI or WMV in explorer it hangs and eventually crashes.

This has been driving me nuts the better part of a week now and once I read this I do remember the problem started right about the time I updated my True Launch Bar.
Unbeliever

04-18-2005, 01:06 PM -
any progress on this bug?

i re-instealled TLB and it`s still there so i had to go back to 3.2 final :cry:
Atomhrt11

2 posts 1 threads Joined: Apr 2005
04-22-2005, 06:12 PM -
Same thing happened to me with 3.2.4 beta. I was simply dragging the toolbar from the task bar to the desktop. It only had IE, WMP and a Outlook icon in it. As others have said it's not happening every time, but more often than not. I dragged the toolbar from the task bar four times, and explorer crashed three out of the four times.
Is my shoe untied?
sdennis91

41 posts 8 threads Joined: Apr 2003
04-27-2005, 12:24 AM -
I am having the same problem and have been for sometime now. Even on older builds of tlb I have had this problem. I am starting to think that this bug is due to window blinds. Reason being if i don't run windowblinds with tlb then i don't get random explorer crashes. I have a feeling that tlb has a flaw within its dll that causes a refresh problem so explorer crashes out. This is why explorer crashes with a lot of movie files especially with divx video's. This will also cause the explorer to crash once the file is clicked on for viewing due to the fact that it has to preview the file on the left hand side within the common task pane. This common task pane is also skinned by window blinds. So for all who have this problem it's prolly due to the fact that you have window blinds or style xp installed. I have been trying different things out for a fix to this including other hardwardware and software configurations but can't reproduce this error until tlb is being ran with a 3rd party skin. Problem is we can't add tlb.dll to windowblinds ignore list due to the fact that its a dll and not an exe so therefore it won't work. Best bet is to use explorerxp for now or another explorer replacement for file and folder viewing. Or disable 3rd party skins.
Unbeliever

04-27-2005, 01:27 AM -
well i really doubt it's a fault of WindowsBlinds cause i don't use it.

Also the explorer crashes stopped when i went back to TLB 3.2
mtaylor21

1 posts 0 threads Joined: Apr 2005
04-27-2005, 06:27 AM -
I am somewhat surprised that this issue has not yet been addressed, has anyone heard from a devloper about the issue?
Texan

217 posts 61 threads Joined: Feb 2005
04-27-2005, 07:15 AM -
Yes, Yuri is aware that some sytems and 3.24 don't like each other....

The problem with this kind of a solution is trying to reprodce the problem, when it doesn't really happen under similar conditions all the time.

Some of us have the problem, and some of us don't.........

Some think it's this, and others think it's "that".........

I'd say 3.24 is "fragile" and/or tempermental.................
Texan
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
04-27-2005, 01:54 PM -
sdennis91 Wrote:I have been trying different things out for a fix to this including other hardwardware and software configurations but can't reproduce this error until tlb is being ran with a 3rd party skin.

sdennis91, "3rd party skin" - is this the skins for True Launch Bar or you tell about WindowBlinds skin?

I still cannot reproduce this bug Sad Maybe WB can speedup bug? And one more question to all who have this bug. What error message show Windows?
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Texan

04-27-2005, 02:01 PM -
In my case; explorer just crashes, and the whole screen goes black for a while........programs seem to continue running, and I don't lose data
and then it seems to settle down and just comes back slowly..........

Mine usually crashes when I'm trying to activate Mail Monitor......
Texan
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

04-27-2005, 02:10 PM -
Windows also write message into event log. You can read it from Computer Manager.
The TORDEX Team
Texan

04-27-2005, 04:46 PM -
How do I access? I looked in Control Panel..................

and did a RUN Computer manager.......................

Tell me how to get there and I'll send you my log................
Texan
sdennis91

41 posts 8 threads Joined: Apr 2003
04-27-2005, 09:49 PM -
Hi. Windowblinds is a program from <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.stardock.com">www.stardock.com</a><!-- w --> that adds skinning of the complete windows gui. It can be installed as a standalone app or as a part of object desktop from them as well. However windowblinds is a skin replacement for xpstyles. In which we can disable shellstyles completely to get a fully skinable gui. Please feel free to check it out at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/">http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/</a><!-- m --> for more info.

As far as the error message that appears it is pertaining to drwtsn32.exe and its as follows:

Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001295d.

As of right now though I have disabled dr watson with is a debug program included with windows xp. Since I have disabled dr.watson now all explorer does is crash out without any error messages that show up within the computer management program. All explorer will do is crash out including the taskbar etc and restart. So I'm not sure exactly whats going on but it maybe worth a try to see for the ones of what software they use as well. For instance logitech itouch software and mouseware software like i use. As well as what antivirus is currently being ran. I am using norton. I am also using microsoft antispy which also scans files in the background. But for some reason if i don't use tlb with window blinds i don't have this problem or if i use tlb without windowblinds i still don't have this problem. Thats why I am limiting it to these 2 programs. I hope this helps abit.
WilliamWey

7 posts 2 threads Joined: Oct 2003
04-30-2005, 12:10 AM -
I had installed a clean Windows XP Service Pack 2 in the Virtual PC, then install TLB 3.2.4 beta. I found Explorer.exe will crash after installing Media Player 10 from Windows Update. It always crashes in "Deteil" view mode and somtimes in "Thumbnail" mode.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

04-30-2005, 03:06 PM -
I've reproduced the bug on my computer. But it is not related to TLB. After installing some of MPEG I/II decoders I have DEP error. I've disabled DEP for explorer and all works fine. Please try to disable DEP for windows explorer. Tell me about results.
The TORDEX Team