How to open menu folders with keystroke ?
Started by mutant

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10 posts in this topic
mutant

9 posts 3 threads Joined: Mar 2005
03-21-2005, 07:43 PM -
On the basis of a recommendation in PC Pro Magazine (UK) I have installed the trial version of True Launch Bar and have been greatly impressed.

However, the one thing I am looking for before replacing my trusty copy of Tray Menu is the ability to navigate and use the folder menus with the keyboard rather than a mouse.

Having spent some hours with both the current and beta versions I feel I am almost there but not quite.

I have set up a virtual menu using a blank folder on of my drives as the target. I have then configured this to open with a hot key and have added to the menu the various folders and drives I want in the menu as shortcuts.

This all works perfectly. I can open the menu with a shortcut key (Alt + Up arrow) and then use the arrow keys to move up and down the list. I can then open any folder I want in Windows Explorer by pressing the Enter key (or if I choose to with a single click of the mouse). So far so good this is exactly what I want.

My next step was to use the TLB settings “Other Options” to activate “Expand folders to shortcuts”. This then allows me to navigate up the menu and then using the right or left arrow keys to move into the various sub menus or even down to file level.

Unfortunately, and here is the snag, I can then no longer open any of the folders in the menu by pressing the Enter key or with a single click of the mouse. They will, however, open with a double click of the mouse. I can nonetheless open files with the Enter key.

It seems that enabling “Expand folders to shortcuts” disables the ability to open the folders with the Enter key or with a single click of the mouse.

So, my question is, am I missing something obvious that would enable me to use the expanding menus with keyboard shortcuts or is this an inherent problem with the way the menu is designed ? And finally, if the later, is this something that is likely to be addressed in future versions.

Many thanks
Unbeliever

102 posts 17 threads Joined: Nov 2004
03-22-2005, 01:12 AM -
You are right. I also asked for this option some time ago and Yuri (the TLB developer) said it`s on his to-do list.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
03-22-2005, 04:16 AM -
In the next version this feature will be released:
* Enter to open folder in explorer
* Right-arrow to show menu
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
mutant

03-22-2005, 04:42 AM -
Yuri

Many thanks for the rapid response - that would be very welcome.

Just to confirm

Enter - to open the folder in a normal double paned version of Windows Explorer - i.e. the equivalent of Explore not Open in Explorer in the context menu.

Right and left arrows - to open and close sub menus

Thanks again - I will look forward to the new version
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

03-22-2005, 10:43 AM -
mutant Wrote:Enter - to open the folder in a normal double paned version of Windows Explorer - i.e. the equivalent of Explore not Open in Explorer in the context menu.
Enter will emulate the double click.
The TORDEX Team
startkilling

10 posts 1 threads Joined: Nov 2004
03-22-2005, 01:49 PM -
BTW, now you can open or explore folders from the keyboard if you don't mind hitting two keys to do so.

Just press the context menu key (normally next to right WIN key) and then O or X.
mutant

03-22-2005, 07:23 PM -
startkilling

Thanks for the suggestion - I should have thought of it myself.

As you say, it's not a perfect solution but it will provide a means of using the keyboard until Yuri does his stuff.

Hopefully it won't be too long as I've just bought a copy of TLB. Am just waiting for the registration to get rid of the wretched Demo logo !
mutant

03-25-2005, 08:44 AM -
Yuri

Thanks for the registration key - the toolbar now looks a lot better !

Having now set up a menu that mimics (with enhancements) the Tray Menu I was previously using I would like, if possible, to modify slightly the wish list we discussed earlier.

As you can see from the image (attached below) the menu is primarily a list of drives and folders on my machine. The menu is a virtual folder and the items on it are all shortcut folders.

Ideally I would like to be able to navigate the menu by using the mouse and the keyboard with the minimum number of actions and clicks.

Mouse action

At the moment I can hover over the menu icon and the menu will spring open. As I move the mouse up and down the list sub menus will spring open automatically. If I single click on a file in one of the sub menus the program of file will open. All of this is perfect.

But if I single click on a folder shortcut in the menu nothing happens. To open a folder in Windows Explorer it is necessary to use a double click.

Request 1 - So my first request would be to have an option to be able to open the folders in the menu in Windows Explorer (double pane) with a single click.

Keyboard action

I can open the menu with a keyboard shortcut and can happily navigate up and down the list with the arrow keys. I can also open a file or program file by pressing the Enter key which is exactly what I want. What I can't do at the moment, as we discussed earlier, is open a folder by pressing the Enter key.

Also, when using the keyboard the menu behaves slightly differently from the way it behaves when using the mouse. For some reason as one moves up and down the menu the sub menus don't spring open automatically (as they do with the mouse).

So at the risk of taking advantage of your previous generosity I now have two requests for this section rather than one.

Request 2 - Which you have already kindly offered to fix is to be able to open a folder in Windows Explorer (double pane) by using the Enter key.

Request 3
- It would be nice if the behaviour of the menu was the same with both keyboard and mouse - i.e. for the sub menus to spring open automatically as one moves up and down the list.

I hope that, by adding to my wish list, I am not taking advantage of your apparent willingness to enhance an already great product.

Many thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

03-27-2005, 11:41 AM -
Quote:Request 3 - It would be nice if the behaviour of the menu was the same with both keyboard and mouse - i.e. for the sub menus to spring open automatically as one moves up and down the list.
About this request. As I understand you want TLB to open sub menus when you select it using keyboard. But this can cause the problems. With mouse there are not problems because you can move mouse anywhere but when submenu opens the keyboard focus comes to submenu. The other thing this is very non-standard behaviour. If you are using keyboard then you need to press right-arrow to open menus. using Enter for this is also standard but I agree that overwriting this behaviour can be useful.
The TORDEX Team
mutant

03-28-2005, 07:23 PM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:
Quote:Request 3 - . As I understand you want TLB to open sub menus when you select it using keyboard. But this can cause the problems. With mouse there are not problems because you can move mouse anywhere but when submenu opens the keyboard focus comes to submenu. The other thing this is very non-standard behaviour.
Yuri

Many thanks for the further response.

I have to confess that I don't fully understand the objections to Request 3 but as I am not a programmer I am more than willing to accept your advice.

If you can manage Requests 1 and 2, I will be more than happy.

Thanks again.