1.1.0.18 Beta & XP Pro - Recurring Bug
Started by Anonymoose

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
Anonymoose

4 posts 1 threads Joined: Feb 2002
02-11-2002, 07:34 PM -
I use the beta version of 1.1.0.18 and I have found that it absolutely does not want to load TLB at startup, rather it loads the default QL toolbar. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. If anyone has the same problem I would in fact like to know. TLB is a fabulous prog so I must give props to Yuri. I did notice that there is a new beta so hopefully this little problem is fixed.
Doug Smith

218 posts 21 threads Joined: Jul 2001
02-11-2002, 08:00 PM -
No. It's not a problem. True Launch Bar is actually running.

What you think is WQL is actually True Launch Bar. It's just that under TLB 1-18 the title of the bar does not tell you it's True Launch Bar so you think it's WQL.

Anyway this is fixed in 1-19. When you start up it the title will be set to True Launch Bar
Anonymoose

02-12-2002, 12:26 PM -
Doug Smith Wrote:No. It's not a problem. True Launch Bar is actually running.

What you think is WQL is actually True Launch Bar. It's just that under TLB 1-18 the title of the bar does not tell you it's True Launch Bar so you think it's WQL.

Anyway this is fixed in 1-19. When you start up it the title will be set to True Launch Bar

Hi Doug,

Actually no, it's not TLB running at all. You see... my default WQL shows even hidden icons (specifically the Show Desktop one), due to my system showing hidden files/folders, and this does not show up while running TLB. Also, when TLB is running, the toolbars listing shows two WQL titles, and when the account used is either logged out of, or a reboot takes place, only one WQL is listed, meaning TLB is not loaded at all. I then manually enable TLB and everything returns to how it should be once I uncheck the default WQL bar. I'm about to install the x.19 beta as suggested, so hopefully this will clear the problem.

[Edit]

Just installed x.19 and rebooted, same problem. It refuses to keep TLB as the default QL, and instead it loads the default WQL. I noticed that in x.19 it renames the toolbar name from "Quick Launch" to "True Launch Bar" which is great (less confusion), but it still refuses to keep it as the default bar when loading. It may be a reg entry that wasn't entered properly upon installation or something, so if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate some insight. Thanks.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
02-13-2002, 04:39 PM -
Anonymoose, close WQL from taskbar and restart. Is WQL appear after logon?
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Anonymoose

02-25-2002, 08:07 AM -
Yuri,

First off, congrats on such a great app, (when it works for me at least) it's probably the most useful util I've ever used. But when it comes to my problem, same thing as before. No matter what I try, it still loads the default WQL and not TLB. When I disable all toolbars, it still loads WQL, so it's definitely a system problem, not TLB. I even uninstalled TLB, ran through the registry and deleted any orphaned entries, rebooted, reinstalled TLB, rebooted, ran TLB (after closing WQL), and rebooted once more and it still loaded the default WQL. One thing to note, I'm running XP Pro, and a setting under GPEdit.msc allowed you to totally disable adding new toolbars was at one time enabled, then set back to the system default (Not Configured). The exact setting was:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu And Taskbar\Do Not Display... (The last setting listed under this menu)

To open GPEdit, Start\Run\gpedit.msc ... note that AFAIK, gpedit is only available in XP Pro. This is the only thing I can possibly think of being wrong and causing this, unless someone else out there has any ideas. I'd like to find a solution for this, as having to manually load TLB each time XP loads is a real pain. Thanks in advance for any insight.

ThaMoose
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
02-25-2002, 04:38 PM -
Unfortunately this is problem of all versions of Windows. I cannot find any good solution for this.
Windows saves toolbars layout in the registry under the key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop
There are two values:
Taskbar - toolbars docked inside taskbar
Toolbars - toolbars docked outside taskbar
If you have other computer without that bug, you can take these values from it. These values is compatible with all windows (I've tried move that values from Win98 to Win2000/XP). Note you must create toolbar on the second computer using folder in the same path (paths to the folder are saved inside these values).

Why this bug appear? I think that some shells addins have conflicts.
Let's collect screenshots of file's context menu! Maybe we find that software.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Anonymoose

03-03-2002, 07:48 PM -
Yuri,

Thanks for the registry trick, it worked wonderfully. I simply installed a new copy of XP inside a VMWare virtual machine to get the appropriate values, entered them in the default XP, and logged off then on, and it kept my settings. I do have a number of context editing programs installed so they may have caused it as well. Who knows, when I begin to install the same programs in the virtual XP if I come across the offending program I'll be sure to let you know.

ThaMoose