FLB hows up in the Toolbars list but that is all
Started by WhoAmI

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
WhoAmI

5 posts 1 threads Joined: Feb 2006
02-27-2006, 12:09 PM -
I just installed Free Launch Bar, but it will not do anything when I try to select it. I've tried reinstalling it with reboots and tried the following "ideas" from within this forum:
- Check for the Policies registry keys (NoSave... whatever... they were not there)
- Disabled the "disable personalized menus" in the Group Policy Editor (originally not configured)
- Used the MSKB article to reset the possibly corrupt toolbar entries
and some others along the same lines.

I have WinXP Pro SP2, SAV 9 CE, Windows Defender beta 2. I have full administrative rights. If it helps any, I was running a beta version (3.2.4 I believe) a long time ago, then removed that. Tried 3.2.12 beta - same problem that I'm having with FLB. Removed that (reboot), installed FLB.

Any Other ideas out there?

If it helps any, I use Process Explorer by SysInternals (Great tool for you fellow IT ppl BTW) and flb.dll is not getting loaded by Explorer like it should be, unless it only "locks" the file when a toolbar is actually displayed.

Thanks for your time!
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
02-27-2006, 01:47 PM -
Try to create new account and open FLB under this new account. Is this working?

Also do you have other toolbars like iTunes, Desktop Manager etc. Are that toolbar working?
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
WhoAmI

02-27-2006, 03:29 PM -
I haven't tried a new account, but I have tried using different accounts (all with administrative rights). Also, all of the other toolbars are currently working (all being the default Windows toolbars such as the Address, Links, Desktop, and Quick Launch; Language Bar from Office; and the Windows Media Player 10 toolbar).

I failed to note that I have IE7 Beta 2 installed as well.
WhoAmI

02-28-2006, 06:07 AM -
Any idea what DWMAPI.DLL does? When I look at flb.dll with MS's Dependency Walker, it complains that the file can not be found...
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
02-28-2006, 06:17 AM -
Strange... Google say then DWMAPI.DLL is "Desktop Windows Manager" - the part of Windows Vista. flb.dll don't depends of this dll.

Maybe I need to test IE7....
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
WhoAmI

02-28-2006, 09:14 AM -
Well, if that's really what is causing the problem, then it probably wouldn't hurt! Is there anyone else out there that is having similar problems and have IE7 beta installed?
WhoAmI

03-10-2006, 07:25 AM -
As an update, I just had a hard drive failure and my latest OS backup is from just before I installed IE7's beta. Just so you know, it still does not work so I don't think it is an IE7 - related issue.

Just a thought, but you should look into making a registry cleanup tool for TrueLaunchBar and FreeLaunchBar. I almost wonder if maybe one of the beta's I had long ago never uninsulated properly and may be causing the issues... (I had trouble removing the last one I had) you could also add in the known registry fixes.
jim0615

1 posts 0 threads Joined: Apr 2006
04-10-2006, 11:41 AM -
I have the same problem but never used the software from here. I always thought it was something that happened when i joined my computer to a domain, and yes i have full admin rights on the domain and local computer. My other guess was that copernic search messed it up long ago on me. I also see that missing file with the sysinternals program. Hope this helps and if you do figure it out ever im hoping u post the fix here so i can fix mine as well:-)