IE7 and Windows Desktop Search
Started by spammeandyouredead

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2 posts in this topic
spammeandyouredead

1 posts 1 threads Joined: Jul 2006
07-14-2006, 03:33 AM -
For the last few days I have been searching these forums, and the net generally, looking for an answer to my problem.....

I have been trying to install TLB4, with absolutely no success. The install runs correctly, but when I right-click my taskbar and click Toolbars, the only toolbars available are Quick Launch and Desktop. I have tried EVERY remedy in these forums, I have followed EVERY link in these forums, I have deleted registry keys mentioned in these forums, as well as others not mentioned in these forums!, I have deleted files, I have registered and unregistered DLLs until the cows came home, I've sacrificed a goat, I've pulled my hair out with tweezers (and I'm REALLY UGLY when I'm bald!)........NOTHING WORKED.......I started suspecting Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3 (well, why not - Bill buggers up everything else!), but uninstalling it didn't help...then tried uninstalling Windows Desktop Search...all the while waiting hours through interminable reboots.
Finally it got too much (I hope TLB 4 is really good...!) and I reformatted my hard drive. That's not as bad as it sounds - I'm a compulsive reformatter - I do it every 6 months or so....but THAT fixed the problem!
Like I said, I think IE7 and WDS were probably the culprits, but I haven't been game to re-install them yet - I'd at least like to try TLB.
For all I know, the Toolbars menu may have lost it's ability to have items added long ago and I only noticed it when I tried TLB, I was just curious to know if anyone else had had any experiebces with TLB, IE7 and WDS?

And just by way of interest (how about a free license for all this testing and reporting!!)...I have been using Free Launch Bar on my work PC for ages now, but when I installed TLB, not only did it not appear on the Toolbars menu, but Free Launch Bar stopped working, and also disappeared from the right-click menu. I also tried it with a completely fresh user account - I'm the administrator ;-)...same result. I also have IE7 (beta 3) and WDS on my work PC (but I ain't reformatting that!)

07-17-2006, 06:22 PM -
Works fine here. Do you have IE set to allow third party extensions?