Distribution Creation
Started by roger.pray

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

7 posts in this topic
roger.pray

4 posts 2 threads Joined: Mar 2007
03-07-2007, 01:34 PM -
We are just starting to look at TLB as a possible solution on a number of laptops that we have throughout our institution.

However I need to know if there is an easy way to package TLB so that I can install it remotely using one of my network tools with a common set of features, functions, bar placement and sizing, password, etc.

Please let me know if you need clarification.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
03-07-2007, 03:38 PM -
Generally yes, it is possible.

* You can install TLB and plugins with silent installation by using switch /S
* All settings, shortcuts, menus etc. are located in the toolbar folder. So you can copy this folder to the target computers
* There are some problems with auto running TLB. Windows don't have any way to open custom toolbars. But if you have the way to import registry values at startup you can prepare toolbar on one computer and export the registry key:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop
Key: TaskbarWinXP
If you import this key to the target computer TLB will start and will be the same size as on the source computer.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
roger.pray

03-21-2007, 10:34 AM -
I am currently using the trial version to test this as part of a proof of concept within my development environment.

When I use my scripting utility to call TLB for install - for example:

\\path\to\server\TLB41.EXE /s

A regular install window appears in which I need to click "Next", "I Agree", "Install", "Next", then "Finish" and of course close down the components manager (unless there is some way to set it to not have check for updates checked by default).

I also found, that using the registry key that was listed in the previous response did me no good whatsoever.

However, exporting the settings from my prototype unit under -
Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\True Software]
(the entire reg key structure) and importing that - worked great!

So...what I need to know is if I am doing something wrong somehow when trying to do a silent install of TLB41.EXE and/or TLB41-mini.EXE.

While I can fudge the distribution of the product in my development environment, I won't be able to do that when this Proof of Concept is approved and we purchase all the necessary licensing. I currently have almost 200 laptops that we will want to install this to with at least 200 more on the way.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

03-21-2007, 11:17 AM -
Quote:When I use my scripting utility to call TLB for install - for example:

\\path\to\server\TLB41.EXE /s

A regular install window appears in which I need to click "Next", "I Agree", "Install", "Next", then "Finish" and of course close down the components manager (unless there is some way to set it to not have check for updates checked by default).

Run the command:
\\path\to\server\TLB41.EXE /S

/S in upper case

Quote:I also found, that using the registry key that was listed in the previous response did me no good whatsoever.

However, exporting the settings from my prototype unit under -
Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\True Software]
(the entire reg key structure) and importing that - worked great!
This key is created during TLB installation. The only keys that you probably need to export is:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\True Software\TrueLaunchBar\Icons
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\True Software\TrueLaunchBar\Toolbars

The first key contain the icons libraries and the second the toolbars to switch to.
The TORDEX Team
roger.pray

03-22-2007, 11:02 AM -
That just goes into the category of DUH! On my part!

Never even occurred to me to try a different case!

Thanks again!

Hopefully my POC will be complete by next week and I'll purchase reqs being cut!
srgsng25

12 posts 7 threads Joined: Feb 2007
09-04-2007, 10:38 AM -
is it possible to run a scrip or something to have the software register it self with a supplies keycode and username as wel las auto import a backup file or settings

we are making a install cd for a client who is profoundly disabled we have to reload him machine ever 2 to 4 weeks and are looking to streamline the process
Steve R Gay, Jr.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

09-04-2007, 11:20 AM -
Quote:is it possible to run a scrip or something to have the software register it self with a supplies keycode and username as wel las auto import a backup file or settings
Yes this is possible. Read this topic. You'll find the description of tlb.ini file that can store the registration key.

Also you can use any tool to backup and restore the toolbar folder without build-in backup. Just backup all files from the toolbar folder (by default %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch). All toolbar settings are there.
The TORDEX Team