Publisher Unkown causes UAC to pop up on Vista and 7!
Started by gate1975mlm

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2 posts in this topic
gate1975mlm

487 posts 90 threads Joined: Dec 2004
01-25-2009, 07:48 AM -
I am running Windows 7 and UAC pops up when checking for an update in True Launch Bar.

I think the reason this happens is because True Launch Bar says "Unknown" for Publisher.

See photo to see what I mean.

So can you add your name to the Publisher and this maybe would stop UAC from poping up?

Check the name of the program and the publisher information. Each UAC dialog provides you with the name of the program and information about the publisher. If the program has a verified publisher, it means that the program has a valid digital signature. A digital signature helps ensure that the program is what it claims to be and comes from a reputable publisher. If the program has an unknown publisher, it doesn't have a valid digital signature from its publisher. This doesn't necessarily mean the program is harmful—many older, legitimate programs lack signatures. However, you should use extra caution and allow a program to run only if you obtained it from a trusted source, such as the original CD or a publisher's website. If you’re unsure, look up the name of the program on the Internet to determine if it’s a known program or malicious software.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
01-25-2009, 11:14 AM -
gate1975mlm Wrote:I am running Windows 7 and UAC pops up when checking for an update in True Launch Bar.

I think the reason this happens is because True Launch Bar says "Unknown" for Publisher.

This is because the executable file is not digitally signed. Vista show this popup even file is signed (just the caption is green and name appear). On the Windows 7UAC don't ask the confirmation for signed files.

gate1975mlm Wrote:So can you add your name to the Publisher and this maybe would stop UAC from poping up?
Yes, I plan to sign the TLB executable files (with Windows 7 this is more important). But this is not very easy for me to get the digital certificate to sign files. It costs ~$400 and many time and documents to confirm my identity.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com