Started by benby

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
benby

9 posts 3 threads Joined: May 2002
07-05-2002, 02:06 PM -
Yuri,

I've been using 1.2.2 beta since it came out, and I love a lot of the new features, but there are still some very serious instability problems that make it tough to use day-to-day. This post is an attempt at constructive criticism (and not a flame) because I think that problems aside, TLB is the most useful piece of software since the first word processor.

1. TLB forgets its own settings very often. I'm unable to have a control panel menu on my TLB because on every restart or refresh, any icon sizes, separators or columns are lost. The only solution I can find has been to make a folder with shortcuts to the control panel items, and use that instead.

2. You can't have two toolbar menus of the same drive with different folders showing in each (hope this makes sense). To try to explain better, I mean like one c: menu showing program files and the windows directory, and one showing documents, downloads, etc, and the opposite stuff is hidden in each menu. After a refresh, TLB forgets the different hidden folders and displays them as the same.

3. Several times now (most recently after a Photoshop 7 install) TLB completely forgot the settings on my programs menu. Since I have maybe fifty applications in there, each with its own icon, this is a tough one to swallow. It forgot all the custom icons, and all the hidden folders. Oddly, the only thing that stayed was the separators.

4. Having the recycle bin as a TLB menu does not work right. Sometimes TLB refreshes to show the full or empty recycle bin icon as is appropriate, sometimes it does not.

5. This is more a general nit (and sorry I do not have any specifics) but I'd say 99% of my windows crashes that result in a restart are from TLB. I run XP, and my system was often up for months at a time. Now, with 1.2.2 installed, it's more like days. As I'm sure you know from others mentioning this, crashes are frequently from dragging shortcuts to the desktop, and putting shortcuts to menus inside menus.

I know you're just one person developing this software, so I don't mean to complain. Rather, I'm trying to support the software by giving you all the bugs I find so you can fix them in future versions. If any of this is unclear, just post, and I will try to explain myself better.
Doug Smith

218 posts 21 threads Joined: Jul 2001
07-05-2002, 04:29 PM -
Might be helpful if you posted :

Machine type
Version of XP your using
Memory configuration /IE version etc
Other possible conflicts
etc.

Try TLB | setting | system info.

Have you tried logging on as another user (with less programs loaded) to confirm these problems.

The more background details you give the easier it is to test for.
benby

9 posts 3 threads Joined: May 2002
07-05-2002, 04:44 PM -
Doug Smith Wrote:Might be helpful if you posted :

Machine type
Version of XP your using
Memory configuration /IE version etc
Other possible conflicts
etc.

Try TLB | setting | system info.

Have you tried logging on as another user (with less programs loaded) to confirm these problems.

The more background details you give the easier it is to test for.
hmm. good point.

PIII 1.2 (actually a PIII 500, with a PowerLeap CPU upgrade)
384 megs of RAM
Windows XP Pro build 2600
Shell version 6.0.2600.0
Explorer version 6.0.2600.0000
Bios Intel A11 (if you need it)
Windowblinds 3.3 and IconPackager 2.0 installed

I've reproduced these same bugs without windowblinds running, if that helps.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
07-13-2002, 01:46 PM -
Quote:2. You can't have two toolbar menus of the same drive with different folders showing in each (hope this makes sense). To try to explain better, I mean like one c: menu showing program files and the windows directory, and one showing documents, downloads, etc, and the opposite stuff is hidden in each menu. After a refresh, TLB forgets the different hidden folders and displays them as the same.
This bug will be fixed in the next version. As temporary solution: Rename the first drive menu before creating the second.

Please check the others items on version 1.2.3
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com