Renaming folders without losing seperator bars, sorting, etc
Started by Interstellar

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
Interstellar

9 posts 5 threads Joined: Mar 2006
11-29-2009, 02:30 PM -
For example, I have the Internet Explorer Favorites as a virtual menu and have folders within IE favorites that have seperators /labels and manual sort orders

If I want to rename one of those folders inside IE favorites, all the seperator/sort info for that folder is lost and I have to re-create all the seperators again. Is there a way or utility to preserve that info when renaming?

Thanks!
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
12-02-2009, 04:41 AM -
I'll fix this bug in the next version. Right now you can edit tlbdata.xml by any editor and replace old name with new one. After refreshing menu the old settings will be applied.

To find tlbdata.xml right-click the "root" menu (Favorites), and select "Open in explorer". Open the selected folder in the explorer - tlbdata.xml must be there.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Interstellar

12-05-2009, 09:55 AM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:I'll fix this bug in the next version. Right now you can edit tlbdata.xml by any editor and replace old name with new one. After refreshing menu the old settings will be applied.

To find tlbdata.xml right-click the "root" menu (Favorites), and select "Open in explorer". Open the selected folder in the explorer - tlbdata.xml must be there.

I tried this and it did not work for me.

There are no "tlbdata.xml files inside the subfolder that is inside "favorites" folder

My TLB files are not in the "Quick launch" folder. They are in a seperate folder "c:\TLB". In the root that TLB folder is one of the "tlbdata.xml" files. Looking at it through a text editor, I can see the entries for the various virtual folders I have set up which includes "Favorites" That is one of the virtual folders I have setup on my main Windows taskbar. Also contained within the "c:\TLB" folder contains another folder called "favorites" looking in that folder I can see the second instance of "tlbdata.xml" along with "namespace.tld" and "setup.ini" a text editor view of the second "tlbdata.xml" showes the various IE favorite URL's with last access info/run count/passord etc. Within that "tlbdata.xml" file I also see the folder name references that I am having trouble with keeping the TLB info. (seperators/sort order etc.) If I phyically should change the name of one of the folders inside "favorites" folder then all the seperator bars inside that folder are lost.

I have edited the tlbdata.xml file inside "c:\TLB\favorites" to reflect the new changes of the changed folder name that is within "favorites" but all that does reinserts the position of the folder name in the "favorites" virtual menu. It does NOT recover the seperator bars that were inside the folder within "favorites"

Looking inside the renamed folder in question, I see NO additional "tlbdata.xml" files. that should contain the seperator bar info? Just the URL files associated with the folder. I am set to see all hidden files and "tlbdata.xml" is not there.

I have also other virtual folders such as utility folders etc. with subfolders with seperator bars inside the virtual menus there too and none of them have tlbdata.xml files within them either. That info is also lost if I change the subfolder name.

This has been a problem for many years and through all the evolving versions of TLB. so I do not think it is an actual bug. I cannot find the separator bar/sort info for those subfolders anywhere. Is it contained in the binary file "namespace.tld" ?
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
12-14-2009, 04:54 PM -
Well, the file you need to edit is c:\TLB\favorites\tlbdata.xml

find the string:
Code:
<folder name="Old Folder Name">

and replace it with the string
Code:
<folder name="New Folder Name">

Also be sure the entry with "New Folder Name" is the only in the file.

The TLB must be closed before editing.

If you don't see the entry with the "Old Folder Name" then it was removed (TLB can remove the entries when they don't exists).

Before this problem be fixed, I can recommend to move some item in the menu after renaming. This force TLB save the current layout with the new name.

PS. If you send me the tlbdata.xml by email and tell the new and old folders name, I can edit the file for you.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Interstellar

12-14-2009, 05:28 PM -
Ahh, that was it! Closing TLB Toolbar first made it work. Then I edited the file.

Thanks for your help and the work you have done creating this Great program! I couldn't use a computer without it!