Switching drives?
Started by CWBillow

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

7 posts in this topic
CWBillow

180 posts 78 threads Joined: Dec 2004
07-17-2010, 04:49 PM -
First of all, this is actually a Directory Opus issue...I know...I am in "deep discussions with them already, and, in a week, no solutions, so I thought I'd at least ask:

I have several partitions, among them my main system ("C"), and one that I use to back up files ("I"). I accomplish this purely by a direct copy from "C" to "I".

One of the folders that gets copied is "C:\Users\CWBillow\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\~~images~~\Icons", so it then becomes "I:\Users\CWBillow\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\~~images~~\Icons. That is a folder used for icon storage (by True launch bar).

After I have copied all the files from "C" to "", if I go over to "I" and drill down to "I:\Users\CWBillow\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\~~images~~", all is fine. But the very moment I go down one more level into "Icons", I am switched over to Drive "C"!

How / why would this happen?

Any pointers at all would help.

Regards,
Chuck Billow

Chuck Billow
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
07-17-2010, 07:41 PM -
Check if the the "icons" is really subfolder. Maybe the "icons" is just an shortcut to C: drive? Also some viruses can replace the folders with exe files that looks like folders.

Try to type the command:
Code:
dir "I:\Users\CWBillow\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\~~images~~"
in the command prompt.

Also check how the standard Windows Explorer works with this folder.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
CWBillow

07-17-2010, 11:11 PM -
Ignore this entry ...wrong key press...

CB

Chuck Billow
CWBillow

07-17-2010, 11:13 PM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:Check if the the "icons" is really subfolder. Maybe the "icons" is just an shortcut to C: drive? Also some viruses can replace the folders with exe files that looks like folders.

Try to type the command:
Code:
dir "I:\Users\CWBillow\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\~~images~~"
in the command prompt.

The command gives me a listing of the files, and Explorer shows it as a folder.

So Yuri, by my copying everything from "C" to "I", including all the True Launch folder from "C:\Users\CWBillow\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\~~images~~" , including obviously the Icons folder, couldn't have created some sort of junction link?

I don't understand why DirOpus would flip it when no other file manager does.

Regards,
Chuck

Chuck Billow
CWBillow

07-17-2010, 11:48 PM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:Check if the the "icons" is really subfolder. Maybe the "icons" is just an shortcut to C: drive? Also some viruses can replace the folders with exe files that looks like folders.

Try to type the command:
Code:
in the command prompt.

Yuri,

I'm sorry, I found it.

I copied all the ICO files to another folder, and then deleted the Icons folder, set up a new one, putting just the ICO files back, and now it's fine.

There (obviously) had to be some type of file there issuing some sort of directive that wasn't catching.

Thanks,
Chuck

Chuck Billow
CWBillow

07-18-2010, 09:52 PM -

Try to type the command:
Code:
in the command prompt.

Yuri, I found the specific issue. there was a target.lnk file in the ~~Icons~~ folder, pointing to my other drive. So every time I went to that folder, I was redirected automatically.

Could this have been place there during TLB' installation?

Regards,
Chuck Billow

Chuck Billow
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
07-19-2010, 08:53 AM -
No, TLB don't create the shortcuts there.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com