Started by Gary Mugford

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
Gary Mugford

23 posts 7 threads Joined: Aug 2010
08-02-2010, 11:25 AM -
Yuri,

I am using RC3 (I just downloaded RC4) on an XPSP3 machine. Within the last few days I downloaded and installed the Sophos tool to solve the .LNK issue that has come to light in the past fortnight. It was my understanding that if something DID trigger the Sophos tool, it would bring up a handler dialog. Although I have NOT seen that, I HAVE had issues with TLB since the install.

On the first instance, I tried to add a menu. ALL the icons in TLB disappeared EXCEPT the ones for two plugins I am using (calculator and port monitor). A reboot resolved the issue. Two days ago, I tried adding and then renaming a shortcut. The disappearance of icons happened again.

Since I had done each of these things many times over the last couple of months, I have only two suspects here. Either it is the Sophos tool or I am already infected with something via the rather large hole in Microsoft security. I am loathe to re-expose myself to the issue and the AV runs tell me I am clean. Thus, I leave the situation as is, knowing a re-boot (never a terrible thing, if time-consuming) will 'fix' things.

Just thought you should know.

GM
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
08-02-2010, 11:40 AM -
Please can you post here the screenshot when the icons disappear? Also please can you give the download link to the "Sophos tool" you are using. I'll try to reproduce the bug.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

08-02-2010, 04:21 PM -
Please can you try this version. I've found the bug in code that can cause the effect you described. But I'm not sure this will help.

Please let me know if this version fixes the bug or not.
The TORDEX Team
Gary Mugford

08-02-2010, 05:48 PM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:Please can you post here the screenshot when the icons disappear? Also please can you give the download link to the "Sophos tool" you are using. I'll try to reproduce the bug.

I think both graphics have been added. If it's only one, it's the after shot that shows no icons. I tried to rename one of the shortcuts.

I have installed the test version you sent and renaming does NOT currently make the icons invisible.

I am still running the Sophos tool on this computer, although it appears Microsoft has finally decided to issue an out-of-cycle patch. At least one of my other computers has downloaded a fix, allowing for the uninstall of Sophos Tool. Unfortunately, this is the only computer running TLB and I cannot offer any insight on how it works with the new MS fix.

GM

NOTE: Both show. Good. However, I should also note that the problem didn't occur when adding the titles. It wasn't until I tried renaming that the issue cropped up.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

08-04-2010, 02:35 PM -
Quote:I have installed the test version you sent and renaming does NOT currently make the icons invisible.
So, Is the bug fixed?
The TORDEX Team
Gary Mugford

08-04-2010, 04:34 PM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:
Quote:I have installed the test version you sent and renaming does NOT currently make the icons invisible.
So, Is the bug fixed?

To the best of my knowledge, yes. Although, honestly, I have uninstalled Sophos and now have the MS patch installed. I have read reports that Sophos' solution does, in fact, have a bug in it. According to the author of the LnkIconShim tool, Libor Morkovsky, "The Sophos Windows Shortcut Exploit Protection Tool doesn't handle all malicious link files due to mishandling of the .lnk internal data."

Regardless, if you have the proper level system, the MS Patch is the way to go. TLB's test version you sent me and the patched XPSP3 system I have it on, are now working without any issues whatsoever.

Thanks for looking at it, GM

NOTE: And I finally got around to uninstalling A-Squared today!