Loading Folder Contents ...
Started by quattrocchi

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

13 posts in this topic
quattrocchi

52 posts 11 threads Joined: Jan 2010
10-26-2010, 01:38 AM -
My main use of TLB is to have quick access to the HDD, via menus such as root, C, D, wk, private, Apps, etc. They are simply ways to access the harddrive contents in a way that I find much quicker than using the 'MSoft Explorer' filer.

I have ticked 'Load Virtual Folders in Background'. But TLB still spends seconds "Loading Folder Contents ...". How can I speed it up?

Brian
Auckland

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
10-26-2010, 04:27 AM -
True Launch Bar doesn't load the virtual folders content on startup by default. You can set some folders to load them on tlb startup. Right-click the folder you want to load on startup and select Appearance->Load on Startup. Also note that you have to set the "Load on Startup" option for all folders in the file system tree. With your example you need to set "Load on Startup" for folders D, private, holidays
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
quattrocchi

12-17-2010, 12:45 PM -
My next problem with virtual folders is that when I add a folder to my directory structure using the OS file manager (windows explorer) the new folder doesn't appear using my TLB virtual folder buttons.

I ensured that Load on Startup is ticked, and rebooted to load TLB.
I tried Refresh (what does this refresh?), but I still have an out-of-date file list with my TLB virtual folder buttons.

Must I delete the old buttons re-do each one whenever I make changes to the actual directory structure? FWIW I've tried that and it does work, but it's not so elegant as (say) a Refresh shortcut, is it?

Brian
TLB 5.1
Win XP sp3
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

12-18-2010, 02:47 AM -
Strange problem. I guess TLB show the content of other folder. Try to right-click the menu button and select "Open" (Maybe you have to hold down CTRL+SHIFT key to show the shell menu with the "Open" menu item). When you select "Open", TLB will open the folder where TLB take the files. Is this the same folder where you add something via windows explorer?
The TORDEX Team
quattrocchi

12-18-2010, 08:46 AM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:Strange problem. I guess TLB show the content of other folder. Try to right-click the menu button and select "Open" (Maybe you have to hold down CTRL+SHIFT key to show the shell menu with the "Open" menu item). When you select "Open", TLB will open the folder where TLB take the files. Is this the same folder where you add something via windows explorer?
Yes, 'Open' accesses the place where there are additional folders, but the button doesn't show the full list. I'm pleased you think it's strange too.

Old button (tree icon):
[Image: 1.jpg]

New button shows current folder contents, with new GARDEN:
[Image: 2.jpg]

b
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

12-18-2010, 08:59 AM -
Usually TLB shows all or nothing Wink If some files are not in menu then
1. You are using the filter on the virtual folder and "hidden" files don't pass via filter. Check the filters in Customize menu dialog box
2. Files are the hidden. Right-click menu and open "Show hidden" submenu (it appear if there are any hidden items).
The TORDEX Team
quattrocchi

12-18-2010, 09:20 AM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:Usually TLB shows all or nothing Wink If some files are not in menu then
1. You are using the filter on the virtual folder and "hidden" files don't pass via filter. Check the filters in Customize menu dialog box

I didn't activate a filter knowingly. I'll check ... Hmm, no filters apply. Each button shows the same settings under Menu=>Properties=>Filters - the old 'tree' button and the new 'private' button - for eg, Documents of any filetype.

Yuri Kobets Wrote:2. Files are the hidden. Right-click menu and open "Show hidden" submenu (it appear if there are any hidden items).

No hidden files there. Just a couple of older buttons I no longer want to use, and a spacer.
The new folder 'GARDEN" doesn't appear via the 'tree' button but does appear with the new'y made 'private' button. Both buttons access the same place, D:\private.

Is there something I can send you, like some logfile or something, that documents my button settings?
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

12-18-2010, 10:51 AM -
Quote:The new folder 'GARDEN" doesn't appear via the 'tree' button but does appear with the new'y made 'private' button. Both buttons access the same place, D:\private.
Maybe the "GARDEN" at the end of menu? If the auto arrange is not turned on for menu then new items appear at the end :?: try to type "garden" inside menu, TLB will find "GARDEN". Or turn on the auto-arrange.

If this will not help, send me the backup of your toolbar (TLB Settings->Options->Backup), I'll look into your configuration.
The TORDEX Team
quattrocchi

12-18-2010, 11:25 AM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:Maybe the "GARDEN" at the end of menu? If the auto arrange is not turned on for menu then new items appear at the end :?: try to type "garden" inside menu, TLB will find "GARDEN".
Typing 'G' points me to a small txt file starting with g.
Before I made the new 'private' button I would have to click on any other folder to get windows explorer then click up one level to access my Garden!

Quote:If this will not help, send me the backup of your toolbar (TLB Settings->Options->Backup), I'll look into your configuration.
Here
http://www.adam.co.nz/tlb/menus.tlbackup
spazeeba
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

12-18-2010, 02:29 PM -
Quote:Before I made the new 'private' button I would have to click on any other folder to get windows explorer then click up one level to access my Garden!
Hmm... this looks like there are some problems with the windows explorer. Confusedhock:

Well, try to turn on the option "Show number of items" in TLB Settings->Menu-General and compare two menus by items number. Also please can you try with other files. Add any file into private and look if it appear or not. You don't use auto-arrange as I see from the backups, so note that new files will be the last in the menus.
The TORDEX Team
quattrocchi

12-18-2010, 04:53 PM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:Well, try to turn on the option "Show number of items" in TLB Settings->Menu-General and compare two menus by items number.
Same no [80 items]

Quote:Also please can you try with other files. Add any file into private and look if it appear or not. You don't use auto-arrange as I see from the backups, so note that new files will be the last in the menus.
I added a new folder and it does not appear in either of the 'private' menus.

For another test, I also have a virtual menu using TLB called "wk" [68 items], added "0 yuri" in explorer and note that it is absent viewed from the 'wk' menu [69 items].

I then made another menu called 'work' and the new folder 0 yuri appears in the correct place (not at the bottom) [69 items].

bri

Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

12-18-2010, 05:06 PM -
Quote:Same no [80 items]
So is the "garden" somewhere there?

Quote:I then made another menu called 'work' and the new folder 0 yuri appears in the correct place (not at the bottom) [69 items].
This is normal. TLB sort items on first load, until you reposition some items by drag&drop. If you want all items in alphabetical order then right-click in menu and select Arrange Icons By -> Auto arrange
The TORDEX Team
quattrocchi

12-19-2010, 01:29 AM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:
Quote:Same no [80 items]
So is the "garden" somewhere there
No. But I've discovered that the new private button works as planned. I just deleted the old one as it continued to malfunction.
Now I can add/remove folders (via windows explorer) and the TLB button shows them.
[attachment=0]