PressStart Problem
Started by Mr. Mitch

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
Mr. Mitch

3 posts 1 threads Joined: Aug 2004
09-25-2011, 09:07 PM -
Hi! Been quite some time since I've needed to post here, which is great, but I've recently encountered a new problem that has me confused. Was hoping you might help me sort it out.

I am a long time TLB user, and have always had it set up with startkiller and PressStart. Recently I ran into a problem with some unrelated software (Acronis True Image) which left my TLB acting a bit funny, so I downloaded the latest version and installed it over my current installation. Things were ok after that, but PressStart stopped working. When I click on it now instead of the Start button re-appearing, at first nothing happens, and then a few seconds later the tlb menu closest to the Start button pops up! Exact same thing happens when I hit the Windows button on my keyboard, no start button, just the tlb menu closest to the start button popping up after a few seconds.

I tried deleting the PressStart.exe that I had, and re-downloaded it, but same behavior. Also, funny thing with startkiller.... it used to work so that it would automatically go on when I boot my machine, but that no longer works. Now I always have to click on startkiller manually for it to work. Tried uninstalling and re-installing that as well, but same thing, no more auto start with my computer.

Any ideas on what might be going on? I can't seem to figure it out. If it helps, I'm on a Win XP SP3 machine, with all the latest updates, and tlb also has all the latest updates. Been using this stuff for so many years now, it would be great if I could get it working the same old way again.

thanks for any help you can offer. Please let me know if you need any additional info from me.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
09-25-2011, 10:52 PM -
I guess the problem in the Start Killer. Open the Start Killer settings (you can press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F12). Try to turn off the option "Disable Start Menu" and turn on the option "Load on system startup".

The first option works exactly as you described - opens the first TLB menu. The second option will turn on the autostart.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Mr. Mitch

3 posts 1 threads Joined: Aug 2004
09-26-2011, 04:51 AM -
You're a genius! Thank you, that did it. It had been so long since I first installed startkiller that I forgot all about CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F12 settings. Not sure how my settings changed on their own, but real glad to have it back to what it was.

Hey Yuri, whenever anyone asks me what the most important software on my machine is, I tell them True Launch Bar.

Thanks for all!