Send hotkey
Started by Blue Proteus

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 posts in this topic
Blue Proteus

18 posts 9 threads Joined: Jun 2009
01-22-2012, 09:00 AM -
It would be great to see a plugin (or new button type for the Launchbar) that would send a hotkey combination when pressed.

Example: I set up a button or menu item that when pressed would send "Cntrl-C" or whatever hotkey was assigned.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
01-22-2012, 11:20 AM -
Please can you describe how do you plan to use this plugin?
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Blue Proteus

18 posts 9 threads Joined: Jun 2009
01-22-2012, 11:32 AM -
Sure, there are a few programs I use that allow hotkeys to be assigned to perform a number of different events...the problem is that if not used often, it's easy to forget the hotkey combination. If I could instead create a button on the launchbar that would send the hotkey combination, I could give that button an obvious name, and wouldn't forget what the hotkey was.

I'll give an example of how I would use that now:
There's a program I'm using that allows virtual desktops. (Let me add that I'm aware of the virtual desktop plugin that works with Launchbar already, but it doesn't work the way I need it to.)
The program allows you to switch desktops through the use of hotkeys. But I'm not that big a fan of hotkeys, I'd rather press a defined button. (Plus there's a good chance that I would forget what the hotkey is anyway.)

So if I could create a button that sent for example "Ctrl-Shft-Z" when pressed, I could assign that hotkey to desktop 1. I could label the button "Desktop 1" and I would always know what it's for. (No confusion about hotkeys.)

Thanks
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
01-22-2012, 02:09 PM -
Thank you. I'll make this plugin.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
mls

87 posts 25 threads Joined: Mar 2010
01-22-2012, 06:53 PM -
(01-22-2012, 02:09 PM)Yuri Kobets Wrote: Thank you. I'll make this plugin.

You can use vbscript's sendkeys to do this - I´ve used it extensively and it works fine.

Look for an example on the web but it's as simple as creating a .vbs file and putting it on a toolbar or menu. Change the icon or set an overlay image to get rid of the standard vbs icon.

You can also use autoit or autohotkey but with vbs you don't need to download anything - it works natively in windows via wscript and can be written in vb or javascript.

What I would like to see is a TLB API that can be called from wscript to eliminate the need to simulate keystrokes to perform functions.