Poll: Virtual folders DELETE option is critical
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DELETE OPTION IS CRITICAL
0%
0 0%
DELETE SHOULD NOT SEND FILES / FOLDERS TO RECYCLE BIN
0%
0 0%
DELETE SHOULD DELETE THE ENTRY VIRTUAL FOLDER in TOOLBAR
0%
0 0%
DELETE SHOULD NOT SHOW UP IN THE MENU of VIRTUAL FOLDERS and DELETE KEYBOARD KEY SHOULD BE DISABLED
0%
0 0%
VIRTUAL FOLDERS SHOULD BE A SHORTCUT TO THAT FOLDER ON THE TOOLBAR
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Virtual folders deleting is CRITICAL
Started by kotshome

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
kotshome

2 posts 1 threads Joined: Sep 2012
09-24-2012, 10:17 PM -
hello,

While the virtual folders is a cool and indeed a great utility which I like in true launch bar, however it is unfortunate that if we delete any files from the folder or delete the folder , it deletes the same from the harddisk.

We should hide it rather than deleting from the toolbar, any one unaware does the delete we loose the files /folder.

Cannot there be an alternative to this situation.

Probably this is addressed already, pls point to those threads.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks & Best Regards,
George Kottackakathu Thomas
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
09-25-2012, 02:06 PM -
Just published the video about the virtual folders.

To delete the virtual folder from the toolbar, you can use "Delete" from the TLB part of the context menu - this menu item have an icon. Also you can set the context menu template to hide the shell part of the context menu (I guess this must be a default options Confused ).

Hiding is possible. You can select "Hide" from the item context menu or press CTRL+DELETE on the keyboard.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
kotshome

2 posts 1 threads Joined: Sep 2012
09-26-2012, 02:03 AM -
Hello Yuri,

Thank you for the reply.

But my concern is if you delete the virtual folder on the TLB it deletes the folder from the hard disk to which the virtual folder is associated with or was made for.

Hope i could clarify the issue.

Thanks & Best Regards,
George Kottackakathu Thomas

Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
09-26-2012, 02:11 AM -
You have to use the "Delete" menu item with the icon - this "delete" removes the virtual folder from the toolbar as you expected.

I shown this in the video. Also this is possible to change the context menu template, to protect from accidental deletion of the source folder.

Deleting inside the virtual folder is always deletes the real files.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Scoox

20 posts 5 threads Joined: Jul 2009
10-05-2012, 07:28 PM -
Personally I use virtual folders frequently but I've never used the delete command from inside the virtual folder. If I want to delete something I generally do this from Explorer. I like the fact that deleted files go to the Recycle Bin in case I delete by mistake. However, if the virtual folder is a network share there's a problem because deleted files don't to to the Recycle Bin, instead they are deleted directly and permanently.

For me any of the following solutions would work:
1) Optionally disable/gray out the Delete command in the context menu inside virtual folders. This not only prevents accidental deletion but also works as an indicator that the item you are trying to delete is inside a virtual folder. The Delete command could then be made available by holding down Shift while right-clicking, which would show the full TLB context menu or something like that.
2) Better yet, customizable context menu templates so that users can choose what commands are shown (thus enabling the user to remove the Delete command).
3) Optionally display a confirmation dialogue when deleting items inside virtual folders. The confirmation could be bypassed by holding down Shift.

By "optionally" I mean that users should be able to enable/disable the feature from the TLB Settings window, just in case there are users who don't like these features.

If I could only choose one of the above I'd choose 2), but I think these options are NOT mutually exclussive, and a cobination of 1), 2) and 3) would be possible as well.
This post was last modified: 10-05-2012, 07:32 PM by Scoox.
Scoox

20 posts 5 threads Joined: Jul 2009
10-06-2012, 07:32 PM -
I just found out that it IS actually possible to customize the TLB context menu!

(10-06-2012, 09:45 AM)Yuri Kobets Wrote: The templates are located in the folder:
C:\Program Files\TrueLaunchBar\contextmenu

Templates are the simple XML files, you can make the copy of any template, rename it and edit for your needs.

This means that you can create your own template and either hide the Delete command or put it in a sub-menu for added safety whilst keeping it available. Then you select that template for Virtual Folders and you are done.