Network Stats Monitor - New Plug in suggestion
Started by Lyle

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
Lyle

5 posts 2 threads Joined: Dec 2002
12-14-2002, 06:36 AM -
I started use TLB instead of Sysmetrix because it was more discreet, always viewable and easier to customise to my needs. However one tool that is missing is a Net Stats plug in. I would like to see my current Network input usage in KB and Output (Although less important) in KB. These could be textual, I am unsure of how useful a histogram would be as it would be so small.

Network usage is an important piece of information to Bradband user especially when downloading from many different sources.

Anyway that is my suggestion Big Grin

The work being done on TLB is excellent especially the continuing inprovements. I am recommending TLB on my website and will also mention any improvements to TLB there.
shapeshifter

658 posts 24 threads Joined: Sep 2002
12-14-2002, 08:03 AM -
I agree that a network monitor plugin would be very useful (although I think this topic belongs under the TLB discussions). My suggestion would be 2 horizontal bar graphs, one for inbound traffic, one for out. Allow the user to select his internet connection (from dial-up through T1) from a list in the proprties window. Maybe have another selection in that list called "other" which activates 2 text boxes to enter up and downstream speed manually. Maybe include a link to dslreports.com's speed tests to help people figure out their speeds. The plugin could then use the entered "max" values, monitor the actual traffic, and compute a percentage to populate the graph for each side. I'd also like to have the option of displaying the actual bandwidth used (in kb) or a percentage inside this graph (similar to drive space), or just the text readouts for people who don't want the graph.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
12-14-2002, 06:43 PM -
The topic has been moved Wink
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
12-14-2002, 06:49 PM -
OK, I'll make this plugin Wink

Lyle
BTW what is your Windows version. I found that on Windows NT4/2000/XP it is not too hard to take statistic about RAS connections Smile On Win 9x/Me a bit harder Sad
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Lyle

5 posts 2 threads Joined: Dec 2002
12-15-2002, 02:33 AM -
I use windows XP pro Big Grin

Thanks for looking into this - I am sure it will proove to be a successful plugin.