Started by katoaristera

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

7 posts in this topic
katoaristera

73 posts 19 threads Joined: Nov 2002
12-17-2002, 05:18 AM -
Hi,
I have my bars set up like the example below. In order to reduce bar height, is it possible to put two small bars beside a big one, like in the example above (that I drawn in paint program, in order to show what I mean)
If not, could be useful to plan in next versions, but maybe is a Window issue… ???
Thanks! Smile
shapeshifter

658 posts 24 threads Joined: Sep 2002
12-17-2002, 04:58 PM -
I've found that TLB will wrap it's icons (like words in a word processor) if it has enough space available for the new line, but not enough space to display them on the top line. For this to work, all the shortcuts, menus, and plugins you want to wrap must be in the same toolbar. You can drag and drop shortcuts, but menus and plugins must be right click dragged to new toolbar, release, and click move here. Then just play with the toolbar sizes to get it the way you want it.

This trick works fine on my system. My specs are below.
WinXP Pro (5.1.2600) SP1 TLB 3.0 IE 6.0.2800.1106 Shell 6.0.2800.1106
Command Line 3.3.0.0 Process Viewer 2.0.0.0 Calculator 1.0.0.0
Weather Forecast 1.0.0.0 Media Control 4.0.0.0 Volume Control 2.1.0.0
Net Monitor 1.4.0.0 Up Time 2.1.0.0 System Monitor 2.4.0.0
Drive Space 2.3.0.0 Mail Monitor 1.9.9.0 TLB Clock 1.3.0.0
katoaristera

12-18-2002, 03:08 PM -
Sorry, but I don't understand very well your answer...I tried some manipulation but with no results.
First: you maintain what I ask is possible or not?
Second: if first is yes, can you explain me again. ???
Thanks
shapeshifter

12-18-2002, 11:03 PM -
The short answer is that it is not possible (that I know of) to configure the taskbar like your edited screenshot.

However, it IS possible (at least on my system - see my specs above) to achieve something similar. It appears in your screenshot that you have at least 3 TLB toolbars. For the sake of explanation, we'll call the bar with the TLB Clock and Drive Space plugins "BigBar", the bar with what appears to be a shortcut to TLB Update, Mail Monitor, and Weather Monitor we'll name "NetBar", and the other bar with Winamp Control we'll refer to as "AmpBar". First, you'll want to combine NetBar and AmpBar into one toolbar. The easiest way to do this would be to press and hold the right mouse button on your Winamp Control plugin, drag it over to NetBar, release the right mouse button, and left click on "Move here". Then, close AmpBar and drag NetBar up and over until it is to the left of BigBar. Now if you drag the left edge of NetBar toward BigBar, WinAmp control (if it is last on that bar) should drop down to a new line.

You could do something like this technique with the shortcuts on the left as well if you put them all in the same toolbar. However, I don't think it's possible to have your address bar directly underneath your task switching bar.

Think of the taskbar as a very crude spreadsheet. It has rows and columns that you can drag around and resize. Icons are treated like text. If there's not enough room in a "cell", or toolbar, to display everything on one line, but there's enough room to add another line, it will put the icons on a new line. However, while the columns don't have to match up, you can't have one toolbar spanning more than one row.

I hope this is easier to understand.
katoaristera

12-19-2002, 12:37 AM -
shapeshifter Wrote:CUT
Now if you drag the left edge of NetBar toward BigBar, WinAmp control (if it is last on that bar) should drop down to a new line.
CUT
If there's not enough room in a "cell", or toolbar, to display everything on one line, but there's enough room to add another line, it will put the icons on a new line. However, while the columns don't have to match up, you can't have one toolbar spanning more than one row.
Thanks a lot for your kindness and for your diligent answer.
My system is almost same as you, except Win XP is Home edition and not Professiion one; I have installed too SP1.
I tried, but actually I don't see the effect "drop down to a new line": Netbar goes to the rigth or below BigBar entirely.
I can't reproduce what you say.
Thanks anyway.
Hope Yuri Kobets will take into account this feature for new releases of TLB. Wink
shapeshifter

12-19-2002, 12:34 PM -
I'm sorry you couldn't get it to work Sad
Unfortunately the toolbar behavior is controlled by the Windows shell, and Microsoft has a long way to go before the process of getting things the way you want them is easy and intuitive. Making TLB toolbars span two rows might be possible, but it won't be easy. Good luck, Yuri Smile
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
12-19-2002, 05:02 PM -
See attached picture. This is one toolbar with wrapped buttons. Maybe you need to change buttons margins in the Metrics tab to reproduce this effect (I recommend to change metrics on XP systems - XP skins add some space to button).

But there are one note how Windows handle toolbars in taskbar: Toolbar cannot borrow two rows Sad on taskbar. So it is impossible to make exactly you draw. The bottom row (where you have combo box with GO button) still will be there.

But maybe you will find the convenient configuration Wink
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com