new provider script weather plugin (BBC 5 day)
Started by kie

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
kie

9 posts 2 threads Joined: Aug 2003
08-05-2003, 03:43 AM -
I wrote a provider ini file so that people can use the BBC's weather service. I've found that it's more accurate for me as I live in the UK. However they provide details of weather all over the world.

It gives a 5 day forecast.
shapeshifter

658 posts 24 threads Joined: Sep 2002
08-05-2003, 05:22 AM -
Great first attempt, but I've got a few problems when I use it. First, not all the values are loaded (meaning WM probably can't find them). The values I get are: Temperature, Conditions, Sunrise, Sunset, Updated, Air Pollution, Sun Index, and Wind Speed - and nothing else. I've tried with 2 different URLs. Second, if WM did load all these values, it would probably crash explorer when the tooltip was displayed. The reason is that the shell (of which WM is a part - for now) limits tooltips to 1k in size. In typical Microsoft short-sighted fashion, the OS doesn't know what to do if it's larger, so it hangs. Third, and most minor, the wind speed value doesn't reflect the current wind speed. It looks like it might be pulling it from one of the wind speeds in the 5 day forecast.

Good idea, but the technology is a bit inadequate to handle this right now, I think.
kie

9 posts 2 threads Joined: Aug 2003
08-06-2003, 06:04 AM -
that explains why it's started to crash!

here's a shortened version featuring the current conditions and a 3 day forecast which is stable on my system.