Net Monitor-Speed Units
Started by Zero-Point

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

7 posts in this topic
Zero-Point

93 posts 13 threads Joined: Feb 2003
10-30-2003, 06:20 PM -
Does net monitor plugin speed units only display b/s and kb/s?

I have modified a skin to show actual text speeds and when transferring something over my network it shows for example 8325 Kb/s. I would like for it to switch to Mb/s when it goes to the 1000's place so it would be 8.3 Mb/s.

Thanks,

quietbritishjim

12 posts 5 threads Joined: Nov 2003
11-15-2003, 06:24 PM -
I have almost the opposite problem: I only want to know what my rates are if they're over 1KB/s... so if they're under that I'm quite happy to just see 0KB/s instead of 200B/s or something. The reason is, that way I could glance down and see what speed I'm doing much faster than having to look at both the number and the units. I know it doesn't sound like much hassle, but it doubles the thinking required for this tiny task Wink Better controls on the units would definitely be appreciated.

PS Your units display is actually wrong: you've got b/s == Bytes per second. You should have B/s, as b/s really means bits per second. But I can live with that, please worry more about my request above!
shapeshifter

658 posts 24 threads Joined: Sep 2002
11-16-2003, 06:03 AM -
Quote:I only want to know what my rates are if they're over 1KB/s... so if they're under that I'm quite happy to just see 0KB/s instead of 200B/s or something.

Great idea, I agree.
STi Sev

63 posts 13 threads Joined: Aug 2003
11-16-2003, 12:54 PM -
I just want a decent netmon text skin that allows me to change the font of its text, and displays speeds in Kb/sec.

I still can't do that with a decent text skin.
mitchmeister

2 posts 0 threads Joined: May 2006
05-01-2006, 01:27 AM -
Since buying TLB I have ditched <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dumeter.com/">http://www.dumeter.com/</a><!-- m -->. Love Network Monitor - its the only plugin I use (other than spacer) at present.

I came across this old thread which I wanted to breathe some more life into it. I can't seem to find anywhere to modify the speed units.

The one thing i miss from DUMeter is the bandwidth units it used.

It would be good if there was some ability to customise the units. ideally i personally would like:

between 0 & 0.5 kB/s | to show | 0
between 0.6 & 999 kB/s | to show | x kB/s (to 0 decimal places)
over 999 kB/s | to show | x MB/s (also to 0 decimal places)

I guess other people will have different requirements. Here are some other suggestions;

* I like quietbritishjim's suggestion that an option to treat sub 1 kB/s as zero.
* display in bits/sec or Bytes/sec (I personally prefer Bytes as it is)
* abbreviate kB/s down to just "K" & MB/s down to "M"
* number of decimal places of precision
* what period of time the speed value is averaged over (range from say 1 second to 15 seconds)
Xyzzy

91 posts 28 threads Joined: Mar 2006
05-01-2006, 11:23 PM -
While we're at it, DUMeter also counts traffic. Very useful for the people like me, who have limits for network traffic.

So another request- add counting inbound/outbound traffic, with possibility to set starting day of month/week for counting.

X.
mitchmeister

2 posts 0 threads Joined: May 2006
05-23-2006, 03:09 PM -
also it would be good to be able to individually control the "scale" of the graph bars for incoming & outgoing traffic. What i'm most interested in tracking is my internet connection speed and as I am on ADSL my inbound speed is significantly faster than my outbound speed.

To the "Customised connections" tab could you please split the bandwidth limit by inbound and outbound.