GREAT CONCEPT, FRUSTRATING EXECUTION
Started by SolihullRog

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
SolihullRog

13 posts 7 threads Joined: Jan 2015
07-24-2015, 03:06 AM -
I have more than 50 software applications on my PC and have spent 30+ years in the business. I find the concept of TLB enormously helpful, but its execution enormously unhelpful.

It lacks so much.

The term True Launch Bar is used to represent many different concepts and objects.

What the hell does "True Launch Bar ..." mean? Apparently it means "Follow this to find a jumbled, unstructured user interface".

What is the structure of the product when installed?

It has menus. How many? How do you create individual ones in different places? How do they differ? Where's an example of setting one up? If you've created a menu, how do you get to its settings?

Oh! There's a section called "I just installed True Launch Bar. What do I do next?". It contains a few lines and then leaves you to yourself.

Bill Gates would never buy it in this state.

It's a shame.
This post was last modified: 07-24-2015, 08:24 AM by SolihullRog.
DJG

28 posts 8 threads Joined: Jun 2009
07-30-2015, 09:36 PM -
The concept allows you to create whatever menu / app launch structure suits you. It does require you to think it through, but you get exactly what you want in the end. The capabilities can be overwhelming, and therein lies its power. It's not a one-size-fits-all deal, and obviously not for everybody. If you don't like it don't use it. Most everybody else loves it.

I have also spent 40 years in the business as a software developer and architect, and this is exactly what I was looking for. I've even modded some of my plug-in skins.

Billy

18 posts 10 threads Joined: Nov 2006
08-03-2015, 07:11 PM -
Please stop whinging about the name, True Launch Bar very accurately describes it.
Please don't be lazy. It is an awesome and extremely flexible piece of software.
On my work PC I use it to list programs I use regularly, another list to present data sheets I use during the design process, not to forget the great extensions to reboot/shutdown the pc and and another to control the audio volume.
On our media PC it is an awesome movie menu system allowing menu lists for each genre.

'Bill Gates would never buy it in this state' I tend agree - I reckon they may possibly emulate as many of the wonderful features in TLB that they could achieve without problems, then integrate them and attempt to pass them off as new wonderful innovations.

DocCruncher

115 posts 21 threads Joined: Oct 2009
09-05-2015, 07:11 AM -
TLB is a WONDERFUL product.

It is one of my top five, favorite programs of all time going back many years. I first registered TLB in July of 2007 & it has been the best 20 bucks that I've ever spent. I actually started using TLB about three years earlier (as a free trial-ware product). After learning the basics I thought "I really like this product" so wanting to support the developer I bought it.

BUT... keep in mind it is a "Power Users" item which means it has a LOT of power hidden under a straight forward & clean interface.

Yes I too had many frustrating times with a high learning curve (at first). This is not a program that one jumps into lightly but rather you "grow into" over time. As time goes by you learn to really love TLB as it will "grow on you". It's power is simply AWESOME. There is nothing else like it on the market.

To give an example of it's power I have managed to combine TLB, Directory Opus File Manager & the Windows Task bar into one bar. There is not another program on the market that would allow me to do that feat. (SEE: attached JPEG's).
This post was last modified: 09-05-2015, 08:33 AM by DocCruncher.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

DocCruncher

115 posts 21 threads Joined: Oct 2009
09-05-2015, 08:56 AM -
Some other thoughts about TLB (and yes, the name is VERY appropriate).

The Plug-ins are wonderful: I use several of them such as the Clock, Calendar, & Weather (SEE: attached JPEG).

And then there is Yuri... He is a wonderful developer & a great guy that goes out of his way to help anyone with a problem.

One funny moment with my dealings with Yuri was when I asked him "Why none of his videos have sound in them?" His reply was something like "I don't speak much English & it is not a pretty thing to hear". That simply blew me away as all my dealings with him through the Forum was like I was talking to someone from my own country (USA). He went on to tell me that he did read & wright English pretty good (I would say excellent).
This post was last modified: 09-05-2015, 08:57 AM by DocCruncher.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

SolihullRog

11-15-2015, 03:32 PM -
My first visit here for a few months. I'm happy for those who love the product. I would too, if only it was professionally presented.

TLB is a product, a folder, a menu ... everything.

Most software products have objects with unique names, a clear structure, clear, consistent and comprehensive documentation.

Most software products have functions that always (or usually) work. Where they don't work, they usually tell you. TLB has selections, options and sequences which only work under certain conditions. Large areas are undocumented. And as I said originally, the website says "I've installed - what do I do now?" Answer = work it out for yourself.

Example 1

There is a Sizes tab to control Maximum and Minimum Sizes for a menu. At best, these only work randomly. At worst they don't work at all. Just like the Number of Columns. That only works under a small number of conditions.

Example 2

A thing which attracted me to TLB was the blue skin used in the examples. Having paid for the product I was told that that skin was only available on Standalone toolbars...

I don't want to use the Standalone feature, but it seems that that is where all the development goes, and the rest just stays stagnant, riddled with bugs.

As I said - it's a shame - because so much of it is just what I want.
This post was last modified: 11-16-2015, 01:07 AM by SolihullRog.
DJG

28 posts 8 threads Joined: Jun 2009
11-15-2015, 04:50 PM -
Every product has a target audience. Obviously this is not the product for you. You should move on to something else that suits you better.
SolihullRog

11-16-2015, 01:01 AM -
(11-15-2015, 04:50 PM)DJG Wrote: Every product has a target audience. Obviously this is not the product for you. You should move on to something else that suits you better.

It IS the product for me. I just want it to work...
danmeek

365 posts 127 threads Joined: Mar 2003
12-14-2015, 04:13 AM -
TLB is one of the most important programs I have. Yes, it can be complex to learn. But it is by far the best program for creating menu systems in Windows. And Yuri quite often adds and refines features in response to user requests. Try that with Bill Gates.