Started by Q Section

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

15 posts in this topic
bbfi

132 posts 4 threads Joined: Feb 2003
03-14-2004, 01:05 PM -
kaizen,

I'm the one who did the skins for the menu based weather monitor and I'm glad you like it although you have problems with some of it due to configuring it. I apologize for not actually answering your question. I must have overlooked the part about my skins and your findings. Sad

Two things, first is that I didn't even know AWS updated their site. I have used the same page for years with no problems. Smile

Second, after trying their new site, I found quite a few problems with it. For instance, the new site works only with cookies and remembers the zip code only at their site, instead of at Weather Monitor. Therefore, if you happen to change the zip code at their site to check some weather in a different area and forget to change it back to your hometown, then you will get that info on Weather Monitor each time instead of your home zip code. Sad

Also, there is no parsing for wind speed or direction, or monthly rain, or min./max. values, or metric values. So, although the new site has pictures, it lacks additional info and use with Weather Monitor. Sad

And this is the real problem here. Web sites with weather info keep changing their setups which fouls up Weather Monitor. And each site likes to determine what info we get. There is NO site I know of that has everything we want. :angry:

Most of these skins are written by users of TLB. We do it for the challenge, love of it, or whatever reason we have. Since, it is a hobby and we do not get paid for it, perhaps we do not produce the skins with everything needed for individuals who do not have our aptitude in programming. This, of course, is an over site in our eagerness to create something that we feel is really good and useful to others. But, as you mentioned, the lack of documentation, updating, trying it out with different areas or operating systems, or whatever, is beyond our limited capabilities (at least mine). ???

I also understand where you are coming from, in that most people will give up and go onto something else. That is the purpose of these forums. To help others get it up and running. I feel we do a fairly decent job in this, but improvements can be made and I'm sure we all agree that we want TLB and all of its plugins to excel. And as long as we get feedback from people like yourself which is constructive and not something like "This stuff doesn't work. It stinks", then I believe we will be able to satisfy the needs of others and have them have the ultimate in plugins and desktop usability. Wink

I hope this helps somewhat, kaizen. Wink

Messages In This Thread
News Plugin - by Q Section - 02-14-2004, 02:01 AM
[No subject] - by kaizen - 03-12-2004, 04:14 PM
[No subject] - by HorusUK - 03-12-2004, 05:04 PM
[No subject] - by Q Section - 03-12-2004, 05:57 PM
[No subject] - by HorusUK - 03-12-2004, 07:46 PM
[No subject] - by BlueHeaven - 03-13-2004, 10:44 AM
[No subject] - by bbfi - 03-13-2004, 11:32 AM
[No subject] - by kaizen - 03-14-2004, 11:07 AM
[No subject] - by bbfi - 03-14-2004, 01:05 PM
[No subject] - by Q Section - 03-14-2004, 01:33 PM