Unhiding is much too quick
Started by jmazor

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

9 posts in this topic
jmazor

5 posts 3 threads Joined: Dec 2003
12-24-2003, 10:21 PM -
The taskbar docked at the side of my screen unhides too readily. Can you please consider either (A) delaying the Un-Hide so that it only happens when the mouse pointer is purposely held against the edge of the screen (see, for example, Taskbar Activate which allows the user to set a delay - http://home.nordnet.fr/~pmdevigne/TaskbarActivate.html, OR (B) allowing the bar to un-hide only if the Control Shift key is depressed while the pointer presses against the screen. See for exaample, http://www.cliptrakker.com/
IceCaveman

213 posts 52 threads Joined: Jan 2003
12-25-2003, 05:02 AM -
The problem is: It's handled by Windows, not TLB, TLB uses explorer.exe and is limited by that, it's not possible to change it to only effect TLB, it would have effect on all Windows. I would reccommend you to keep your auto-hide bars at the left side of your screen as most of the time you don't need the mouse there.
PsychoMark

122 posts 9 threads Joined: Jan 2003
12-25-2003, 01:56 PM -
On a sidenote: Yuri's been working on a standalone host for TrueLaunchBar. A very early version was released on these forums, mostly for testing if it actually worked. Once he gets it working completely (which I think has a lower priority than solving more urgent bugs in TLB and the plugins) these kind of features can be implemented... but until then you're stuck with explorer...
fhurst

18 posts 6 threads Joined: Nov 2004
07-31-2005, 12:18 PM -
IceCaveman Wrote:The problem is: It's handled by Windows, not TLB, TLB uses explorer.exe and is limited by that, it's not possible to change it to only effect TLB, it would have effect on all Windows. I would reccommend you to keep your auto-hide bars at the left side of your screen as most of the time you don't need the mouse there.

My family made me remove truelaunch bar from their Windows User Accounts because Truelaunch unhides too quickly when the mouse is moved to the edge of the screen. It drove my daughter nuts even when I slowed her mouse travel.

I keep my Truelaunchbar to the left of the screen and wound up installing another application called "Desktop Coral" which effectively takes up an adjustable amount of space when docked there. It can be adjusted by dragging to allow a buffer zone that you can over-shoot the mouse into and not trigger an unhide. It can also be made transparent so that your wallpaper is not affected. It does reduce the size of my open windows, but this is a compromize for sanity's sake.

After saying all this, I really would like TrueLaunchBar even more if it had an adjustable delay for unhiding, even if that means a standalone version that does not use Explorer to unhide it.

Even with TrueLaunch docked on the left side, and Desktop Coral docked there as well, I overshoot and TrueLaunch unhides and gets in the way all to often. Also I prefer keeping my old toolbar alive as well as the start button and it's "Sysem Tray" and I prefer it docked on the opposite side, on the right of the screen. It too unhides prematurely and gets in the way and sinse I can only use one Desktop Coral at a time I can't use one on that side.

This, and the fact that I cannot find a way to change the color of the seperators, takes away from the convenience that otherwise could be.
Have a Goodun, Cheers!
fhurst
NetMage

30 posts 11 threads Joined: Jan 2004
08-05-2005, 11:35 AM -
It looks like TaskBar Activate should work with TrueLaunchBar - it lists itself as working with other Windows bars.

Has anyone tried to use it?
fhurst

08-06-2005, 03:00 PM -
NetMage Wrote:It looks like TaskBar Activate should work with TrueLaunchBar - it lists itself as working with other Windows bars.

Never heard of it, where is it offered?
Have a Goodun, Cheers!
fhurst
fhurst

08-08-2005, 06:07 AM -
NetMage Wrote:It looks like TaskBar Activate should work with TrueLaunchBar - it lists itself as working with other Windows bars.

I found Taskbar Activate and have been using it since your last post to me. It works great, however, it did not launch when I opened Windows this morning and I had to maually launch it. I will see if this is a recurring problem, but either way I will continue to use it with Truelaunch Bar with the hopes this function will be a part of Truelaunch Bar in the future.
Have a Goodun, Cheers!
fhurst
Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
08-08-2005, 06:45 AM -
fhurst Wrote:...It works great, however, it did not launch when I opened Windows this morning and I had to maually launch it...
Try this: create a shortcut to the .exe file and place it in your Start>Programs>Startup folder. If you need further assistance please post. Be a good chap and let us know how it went.
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
fhurst

08-11-2005, 11:04 AM -
Q Section Wrote:
fhurst Wrote:...It works great, however, it did not launch when I opened Windows this morning and I had to maually launch it...
Try this: create a shortcut to the .exe file and place it in your Start>Programs>Startup folder. If you need further assistance please post. Be a good chap and let us know how it went.

I had restarted Windows the next day and verified that it was a recurring problem, so I checked to see if the application had placed a shortcut in the startup folder and it had not, so I created one. I then remembered that this program was offered in two versions, one with an installer and one without, and since I usually default towards those without, the version I am using doesn't seem to have an option to start with Windows and thus can't create a shortcut.

The version with the installer probably installs a shortcut automatically. So anyone else who reads this, and decides to try this program, may want to try the version with the installer if you aren't familiar with startup shortcuts.

Thus far everything has worked well on my XP Home operating system and I have no complaints (And my machine is heavily laden with applications 15 of which visibly open with Windows ( There are some that don't appear in the system tray, as well as system services that run in the background).

Based on my experience, thus far, I will at this point recommend this application in conjunction with Truelaunch Bar.

I have two bars one on each side of my screen, Truelaunch to the left and Windows to the right, I'm not comfortable with removing my Start button, so it resides unobtrusively at the top of my Windows bar and the System Tray at the bottom right where it has always been.

Truelaunch Bar and Taskbar Activate seem to be made for each other. I have found that a delay of 500 ms is comfortable for me and It took several days to get used to, but it sure beats those two bars unhiding when I overshoot.

Both applications are a blessing and now that I have tried them, I refuse to be without either of them.
Have a Goodun, Cheers!
fhurst