Started by cammm14

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
cammm14

8 posts 3 threads Joined: Nov 2003
01-07-2004, 06:25 PM -
Explorer crashes when i am running 2.2.1.3. I am running Trillian, msn, earthlink, getright, notron 2003, zone alarm, winamp, Musicjukebox.... thats about it.

It crashes randomly i can't really pin point a program out, the ones listed above are just programs running in the system tray.

Windows fully updated.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
01-07-2004, 08:17 PM -
What plugins do you use? Try to delete plugins one by one to find unstable plugin. If this not help you try to close TLB and delete all files named tlbdata and tlbdata.xml.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
HorusUK

458 posts 40 threads Joined: Dec 2003
01-08-2004, 04:47 AM -
I'm experiencing similar problems, but I've found that renaming MSVBVM60.DLL to something else (effectively disabling VB6 programs, but then I tend to avoid VB...) stablilses my system. It's a real PITA because I like to run SpyBot often, so I have to rename the dll (thereby destabilizing my system), run spybot, reboot the machine into safe mode, rename the dll reboot, and THEN have a stable system again. It has to be done this way, as I've yet to find a process killer that will let me unload the dll. If you know better, please let me know!

In my quest to solve this issue, I recently did a complete re-install, but I still get random crashes. I do have a tendancy to be running beta's of everything, so I'm well aware it goes with the territory!

Maybe anyone who has this problem might like to try this, and let us all know if it works for them, too? ???
Back once again...
Dracula

407 posts 28 threads Joined: Dec 2002
01-08-2004, 05:52 AM -
Quote:It has to be done this way, as I've yet to find a process killer that will let me unload the dll. If you know better, please let me know!

The DLL is most probably in use by explorer.exe (use Sysinternal's Process Explorer to be sure).

First open a command prompt, then terminate explorer (by choosing Start -> Shutdown, and then clicking Cancel while holding Ctrl+Alt+Shift). Now you can rename the DLL in the command prompt and launch explorer.exe again.

No reboot required, but you might miss some tray icons. Use a program like SystrayX to prevent this loss...
Windows 7, IE 9.0, Shell 6.0.6000.16386, TLB 4.2.3 beta
HorusUK

01-08-2004, 06:25 AM -
Yes, it is tied to the explorer process, and if I didn't have so many programs that fail to gracefully recover froim an explorer crash, and don't refresh their icon in the systray, I end up with a useless system! However, thanks for the SysTrayX tip. I'm looking at it now Wink
Back once again...
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
01-08-2004, 05:31 PM -
Hmm... TLB do not use MSVBVM60.DLL dirrectly. What version of this dll on your system. My MSVBVM60.DLL has version 6.0.92.37 And it stable. Also I know many spy software that sit on explorer and make it very unstable. Maybe one of them is on your computer and it use MSVBVM60.DLL. So when you rename it this software failed on load. Also there are many shell extensions that can cause problems and use MSVBVM60.DLL

My suggestion: try to compare dll's list used by explorer with and without MSVBVM60.DLL maybe you will find the worm Wink

Also some months ago I successfully removed all spy modules using IE Doctor or something like this. Unfortunately I do not remember exactly name of this utility but try to search it on google.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com

01-11-2004, 01:22 PM -
i have no plugins installed....
HorusUK

01-11-2004, 03:25 PM -
I'm running MSVBVM60.DLL version 6.0.89.64 and is part of the VB6 SP5 installer. However, you have a later version than me. Anyone know where I can get the latest VB6 runtimes? The MS site only has VB6 & VB6SP5 versions available for download Sad

I'm absolutely certain I have a clean system and I have just run ad-aware & Spybot prior to sending this, and I'm clean.

Typically, I haven't had that many problems since I mentioned it!
Back once again...