Want to be Able to Change Default Settings re Columns, Order
Started by danmeek

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
danmeek

365 posts 127 threads Joined: Mar 2003
02-12-2005, 05:45 PM -
Gotta say that, while TLB is nice, the settings are a bit weird. I see no way to change the default so that all toolbars go to 3 columns or arrange themselves alphabetically, etc. Seems that this requires manually changing the settings for each "sub"-toolbar.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
02-14-2005, 11:41 AM -
If you tell about toolbars then you can use profiles to make toolbar with same settings. Unfortunately the size of toolbar cannot be saved in profiles because this is the Windows behaviour.

If you tell about menus (the columns is the property of menu) then open customize menu dialog box and setup all options then turn on the option "Apply to CHILD folder".
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
danmeek

365 posts 127 threads Joined: Mar 2003
02-20-2005, 12:00 AM -
This does not answer my inquiry. I do not want to just apply the settings to child menus. I want to apply it it all menus. Your program seems to provide no way to do this. Thus, since I have 20 menus, I must manually change the settings on each one. This seems a waste of time.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
02-20-2005, 12:43 PM -
Now I see. Thank you. I'll try to simplify this.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
joelpt

10 posts 4 threads Joined: Feb 2005
02-20-2005, 03:52 PM -
After using TLB for a little while it seems that the ContextMenu/ButtonProperties/... menus could probably be combined together into a more cohesive interface.

Perhaps you could create a global preferences dialog which has an explorer-style tree on the left (with a top level "All" folder containing each of your quickbars), and on the right the various preferences pages (tabbed interface?). This would let you see all your folders in one tree, and you could group-select all or any part of the tree, then choose your settings on the right-hand side and apply them.

I think this could also make it clearer which TLB settings and properties can be specified on a per-menu/per-item basis, and which are just global settings.

For example, we have the Customize Menu prefs pages, which have the "Apply to THIS/CHILD folders" checkboxes -- so pref "inheritance" exists here. Then there is the Context Menu prefs page (in TLB Settings) which has default context menu settings (global), then within Button Properties you can set the context menu settings on a specific item, but there are no "THIS/CHILD" checkboxes in this area.

I would suggest not doing any kind of automatic "inheritance" of preferences at all, but instead just add the tree-view preferences editor. This will let people selectively 'inherit' (copy) their prefs to whichever menus or submenus they like.

I don't think people are really going to need automated inheritance, once you set up your TLB you aren't going to change it that often, and it's just unneeded complexity. Managing your inheritance rules would probably end up being more involved than just making the changes manually (think about Windows ACLs management for novice users).
Joel Thornton