Icon sizes
Started by Corinthian

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

7 posts in this topic
Corinthian

40 posts 16 threads Joined: Sep 2001
02-21-2002, 01:26 AM -
What if I want 48x48 size icons on TLB, and a mix of 32x32 and 16x16 size icons in the menus ?
Currently, this is not possible (as far as I know).

I suggest that the icon size setting in TLB Settings -> Advanced is separated into a Menu setting and a Toolbar setting.

Or alternatively that the icon size setting is removed from TLB settings and that you could choose the icon size you wanted from right click -> Appearance -> Icon Size.
This way, you would have complete control of the icon size in all different menus.

What do others think about this ?
Doug Smith

218 posts 21 threads Joined: Jul 2001
02-21-2002, 06:23 AM -
Personally I think took much time is being wasted on cosmetic changes to True Launch Bar like ICON sizes and SKINNING. I think Yuri has done pretty good so far but it seems some people always want more.

How many friggin sizes do you really need. When will you be satisfied? There are more important things to be done to improve TLB.
Corinthian

40 posts 16 threads Joined: Sep 2001
02-22-2002, 03:25 AM -
I understand that some people may find one thing more important than other things.

Mr. Smith obviously thinks TLB needs improvements in areas that I am satisfied with (launching applications).

I like eye candy, and in my opinion icon size matters.
It is my right as a paying customer to suggest improvements in the areas that matter to ME !!!

No offense to you, Mr. Smith.
I just think you sounded a bit hostile in your reply.
Doug Smith

218 posts 21 threads Joined: Jul 2001
02-22-2002, 03:51 AM -
Well here's the thing.

As I see it we are BETA testing right (if you check your TLB settings and it says Beta then you are a beta tester)

The purpose of BETA testers is to contribute to the greater development of the program 'for the general public' not just quote 'to suggest improvements in the areas that matter to ME !!!'

My comment was intended to point out that reliable functionally improvements to True Launch Bar are more important (and more commercial) than 'eye candy'

If you look back over the version history from about relase 1-13 you'll see that quite a lot of Yuri's effort has gone into skinning, transparency and icon sizes which are nice to have and appeal to the 'geek' but don't sell to the general public as much as say a full featured DRAG and DROP function which the average user can understand more easily.

What's the point of eventually having the prettiest launch bar around if all it does is look good and is not as smart or smarter than an improved Windows Quick launch.

And I know '*for a fact* MS has release plans for an upgraded Quick Launch that does a lot of what TLB does now.

Let's not get sidetracked (and eventually left behind) is the point of my message.
Xeno-X

6 posts 2 threads Joined: Feb 2002
02-23-2002, 11:43 PM -
Quote:The purpose of BETA testers is to contribute to the greater development of the program 'for the general public' not just quote 'to suggest improvements in the areas that matter to ME !!!'

alright good point... but most of the time something that "matters to ME" (or him in this case) will end up mattering to someone else and most likely enhancing their experience (it's usually the little things that make the difference).-- Although I don't think I'd really use the icon size thing too much... well actually on second thought I might use it too help highlight certain programs in a popup group.

Quote:blah...blah...blah.. eye candy
Wink

Hehheh. to this "quote" , I just say that I like eye candy and I think that many "non-geek" people like it too. I mean If I'm gonna have a program that skins my desktop, such as Microsoft XP Visual Styles or Windowblinds then I want all of my desktop to be skinned. It looks like crap when Everything is in order and then their is a spot that sticks out like a sore thumb... It's not that big of a deal... but it's a bit annoying. For the most part I would rather have functionality over eye candy.

Oh and if Yuri is goind to support Icons and all that stuff that Corinthian said then I think he should support Windows XP style icons up to 128X128... because I have a few cool icons that size that I'd like to try out! :0

----
btw. I like all the icon board enhancements.
----

Quote:And I know '*for a fact* MS has release plans for an upgraded Quick Launch that does a lot of what TLB does now.

I was just wondering where you got your info pertaining to this... or if you have a site that I could go too, to read up on this more... I'm just wondering what Microsoft has up their sleeve.

Alright well that's enough for now I guess... talk to ya later.

-Xeno-X
----
When I find time I'll think of a better signature. Come too think of it I have plenty of time. Well when I get a creative spark of genious I'll rewrite my signature then. Smile
----

02-28-2002, 12:37 PM -
"Eye Candy", "Geeks", step back and look at this from a sales prespective. I would first like to say Yuri does a great job with this app. OK, I see it all too often that people strive for technical excellence with their applications, this is to be applauded. The one thing alot of apps miss is visual appeal, and to the general public as a whole, this is important. EG: GM spend the next 10 years developing a car that runs on the sniff of a fart, hits the showroom floor and it's a sqare looking thig painted in a grey primer ???? IT WOULD NOT SELL. If someone suggest something, as Corinthian did, the possability should atleast be explored, do your math, is more than one person asking for this ?? Many are asking about skinning and visual appearence, so I would lean toward saying that it should play a role in the development of this program. Technical superiority is great, but how do you sell it, at the end of the day Yuri want something for his hard work. Final note. WindowsXP was sold to us stating staing it's ability to be customised, should we not be developing our applications in a similar fashion ??

Sorry if I rambled on, but if you want plain, go back to WIN3.1 Big Grin
Jayzun

49 posts 10 threads Joined: Dec 2001
03-03-2002, 02:31 AM -
Agree with everyone except Doug. The "Geeks" are going to be using more of the technical aspects. The average joe wants a souped up quick launch bar that has all sorts of cool bells and whistles as far as how it looks...they don't want to navigate menus, etc... So I think you're really off base. I would like to see icon size options also and any bug fixes that he can provide. I would also like to see things like weather forecasts, winamp song title buttons...but as far as the functionality of truelaunch...it currently does everything I ask for and I'm a "geek"...so I doubt if the general public is going to need much more either.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
03-03-2002, 04:10 PM -
OK, "Small" and "Large" is not enough Wink I'll make more sizes in the next version.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com