Deleteing menu items
Started by daveMc

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
daveMc

4 posts 2 threads Joined: Nov 2005
11-13-2005, 06:02 AM -
Why does deleting items from the menu delete the target file? I wnat to delete the items wothout removing the target files - the present functionality makes no sense to me - does anybody know why this is

many thanks

daveMc
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
11-13-2005, 02:06 PM -
TLB delete target file because menu is the "Virtual Folder". If you want to remove item from menu without deleting use Hide.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
daveMc

4 posts 2 threads Joined: Nov 2005
11-13-2005, 02:27 PM -
Thank you for your reply.
I have seen the HIDE option but I don't know what happens when I do this - where does the link go - and when I hide am I just filing up some bin somewhere with hidden items.
I still find it very strange that users can just delete target files so easily meaning that software would have to be re-installed again - even major applications, surely this delete function should just delete a pointer to the target just as for shortcuts.

Also is it possible to download and run the new beta version independantly from my currently installed version. I have two licenses for the current version for two home PC's I bougth about 10 days ago,

thanks for the help,

DaveMc.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
11-13-2005, 02:41 PM -
Quote:I still find it very strange that users can just delete target files so easily meaning that software would have to be re-installed again - even major applications, surely this delete function should just delete a pointer to the target just as for shortcuts.
TLB works with files as Windows Explorer do. So deleted files must be placed into Recycle Bin. Also TLB show standard confirmation dialog to confirm deleting (But I know nobody read this message Wink ). "Virtual Folders" can be used as small explorer - this is one of the features.

Quote:Also is it possible to download and run the new beta version independantly from my currently installed version.
No, you can update only. Don't forget to enter new registration key.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Dracula

407 posts 28 threads Joined: Dec 2002
11-13-2005, 02:57 PM -
daveMc Wrote:I still find it very strange that users can just delete target files so easily meaning that software would have to be re-installed again - even major applications, surely this delete function should just delete a pointer to the target just as for shortcuts.

Regular TLB menu's contain just shortcuts, so deleting an item from such a menu means you only delete the shortcut pointing to the original file or program.

Like Yuri said, only with virtual folders, it shows the original directory contents, so deleting a file from that 'menu' deletes the original file. If you don't want that to happen, simply create a regular menu (rather than a virtual folder). Or use Windows' user permissions to disallow deletion of those files...
Windows 7, IE 9.0, Shell 6.0.6000.16386, TLB 4.2.3 beta