Started by J-Mac

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
J-Mac

5 posts 1 threads Joined: Jul 2007
07-19-2007, 01:32 PM -
Hello all.

I started using TLB last week and have had some difficulty with it. I initially set it up to replace my Quick Launch menu and I got it looking pretty much like I wanted - at least for a start. However upon rebooting my PC the TLB did not start. I checked the registry keys mentioned in the Help file and none are the issue. I recreated my TLB and rebooted and this time it started OK, but the configuration had changed - the groupings I had created were moved and the separators were gone. Finally with much tweaking I seemed to have it working OK, but then my extra icons -- I believe they are what was already in the QuickLaunch menu -- keep reappearing.

I wrote to TLB Support last week and Yuri asked me to send him a screenshot and a backup file, which I did. I did get one reply back from Yuri and since then I have not heard from him. I giess we only get one contact.

Anyway, does anyone have any better knowledge as to what I have configured incorrectly? (I am guessing it is not configured right anyway). The FAQ is missing a lot of info - pages in the index but no information there - and I have read through the Help file so many times I just about have it memorized!

I tried to move the current TLB but there does not appear to be anyway to do that. Do I have to keep deleting toolbars and recreating them? Can I setup several and load only the one or ones I want?

I have a feeling that having TLB replace the QuickLaunch menu may be the cause of the issues I am seeing. Any thoughts about that?

Also, how are others using TLB? Is there a gallery anywhere to get ideas from?

Thanks.

J-Mac
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
07-19-2007, 02:21 PM -
Well, let I answer here. I hope your name is Jim. I get all emails from you.

Quote:I recreated my TLB and rebooted and this time it started OK, but the configuration had changed - the groupings I had created were moved and the separators were gone.
How have you recreated toolbar? Uninstall/Install? During uninstalling TLB runs the clearing utility. This utility removes all TLB settings except the shortcuts.

Quote:Finally with much tweaking I seemed to have it working OK, but then my extra icons -- I believe they are what was already in the QuickLaunch menu -- keep reappearing.
I've suggested to rebuild your toolbar configuration a bit. But seems you don't understand me (sorry, my English is not perfect). I've prepared two screenshots. The first scrennshot show your current layout. The second is what suggested. I've marked by red color the difference.

So I suggested to create one more menu and move all shortcuts and menus into this newly created menu.

Currently TLB have some problems when you have the automatically created menu with two arrows (>>). Moving all items into regular menu will solve the problem.

Quote:I wrote to TLB Support last week and Yuri asked me to send him a screenshot and a backup file, which I did. I did get one reply back from Yuri and since then I have not heard from him. I giess we only get one contact.
I sorry for delay.

Quote:I tried to move the current TLB but there does not appear to be anyway to do that. Do I have to keep deleting toolbars and recreating them? Can I setup several and load only the one or ones I want?
Yes you can. This feature is "Switch toolbar". Open TLB Settings->Toolbars and create new toolbars with own folders. After creating extra toolbars you can right-click TLB, select "Switch toolbar" submenu and select the toolbar you need.

Quote:Also, how are others using TLB? Is there a gallery anywhere to get ideas from?
Desktops Gallery

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
jkdclick

135 posts 11 threads Joined: May 2005
07-19-2007, 02:49 PM -
Here is the gallery. As for the rest, I'm sorry, I can not help you.

http://www.truelaunchbar.com/deskgallery/index.php
Jeremy K Dickinson
The TORDEX Team
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tordex.com">http://www.tordex.com</a><!-- m -->
J-Mac

07-19-2007, 07:51 PM -
jkdclick Wrote:Here is the gallery. As for the rest, I'm sorry, I can not help you.

http://www.truelaunchbar.com/deskgallery/index.php

Thank you Jeremy.

Jim
J-Mac

07-19-2007, 08:17 PM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:Well, let I answer here. I hope your name is Jim. I get all emails from you.

Hi Yuri. Yes, this is Jim. Smile

I figured you must not want to talk to me anymore! I'll try to answer your questions below:

Yuri Kobets Wrote:
Quote:I recreated my TLB and rebooted and this time it started OK, but the configuration had changed - the groupings I had created were moved and the separators were gone.
How have you recreated toolbar? Uninstall/Install? During uninstalling TLB runs the clearing utility. This utility removes all TLB settings except the shortcuts.

Yes, I recreated the toolbar. No, I did not uninstall/reinstall the program - you didn't tell me to try that yet. Are you saying that I should? Or just asking if I did?

Yuri Kobets Wrote:
Quote:Finally with much tweaking I seemed to have it working OK, but then my extra icons -- I believe they are what was already in the QuickLaunch menu -- keep reappearing.
I've suggested to rebuild your toolbar configuration a bit. But seems you don't understand me (sorry, my English is not perfect). I've prepared two screenshots. The first scrennshot show your current layout. The second is what suggested. I've marked by red color the difference.

So I suggested to create one more menu and move all shortcuts and menus into this newly created menu.

Currently TLB have some problems when you have the automatically created menu with two arrows (>>). Moving all items into regular menu will solve the problem.

I did create a new toolbar, but that seems to cause other problems. For example, As soon as I create a new toolbar it automatically sets itself up to the right of my taskbar - right before the System Tray. I should probably abandon what I have done so far and start fresh with a new toolbar.

One thing I did today that was very confusing: I have been creating a new backup each time I modify my toolbar. Today when the toolbar started all wrong at reboot I simply restored from the last backup and all was well again. Then I tried to create a new toolbar and leave the current one in place - didn't work. The new toolbar appeared over by the systray but the existing one disappeared. (That's why I asked if I can only have one at a time; every time I make a new toolbar the first one disappears!)

So I tried restoring it from the backup -- but the backups were gone! When I create a new toolbar I lose the backups of the first toolbar. Fortunately I had the "Sent" copies of the emails I had sent to you with backups attached so I was able to use that backup.

Could the fact that my first TLB toolbar was created right over the QuickLaunch menu be the cause of all the trouble?

Yuri Kobets Wrote:
Quote:I tried to move the current TLB but there does not appear to be anyway to do that. Do I have to keep deleting toolbars and recreating them? Can I setup several and load only the one or ones I want?
Yes you can. This feature is "Switch toolbar". Open TLB Settings->Toolbars and create new toolbars with own folders. After creating extra toolbars you can right-click TLB, select "Switch toolbar" submenu and select the toolbar you need.

OK. Say I get completely rid of this first "QuickLaunch Replacement" toolbar and create a new one. How do I put it where I want it? When I create a new toolbar they either appear at the top left of my display (I hate that position!) or down next to the systray. How do I move it anywhere else?

Yuri Kobets Wrote:
Quote:Also, how are others using TLB? Is there a gallery anywhere to get ideas from?
Desktops Gallery

Thank you; I found it now.

Yuri, as I mentioned above, it seems like the first toolbar I created -- to replace the QuickLaunch menu -- is causing all of the trouble. For one thing, it picked up all the shortcuts that were already in the QL menu. I did not want to delete them because the Help file says it could delete the program (Is that right?!) So I have been "hiding" them using the "Hide" button on the TLB context menu. That must be keeping them all still in the QuickLaunch, but just masking them, correct? If that is the case then my QuickLaunch menu folder is probably way overloaded.

Let me start over and create a whole new toolbar from scratch - see if that helps things.

I'll post back and let you know.

BTW - the screenshots you posted are close, but not that close. If I get a chance I will post here what I sent to you last week.

Thanks,

Jim
J-Mac

07-19-2007, 09:35 PM -
Yuri,

I started with a new toolbar, created a menu and used the pre-configured "My Computer". Then I created another and used the pre-configured "Control Panel". THe Control Panel menu set itself up inside the My Computer menu, making the My Computer icon on the taskbar disappear and replacing it with the ">>" symbol.

Why did it do that? I was trying to create a second menu that would be on the taskbar next to the My Computer menu. I cannot seem to create a separate menu - when I create the second one it always seems to go into the first.

Also, I experienced an explorer.exe crash while using the menu. I looked at the Event Viewer and saw that the explorer.exe crash I experienced yesterday was also caused by TLB. Screenshots of the errors below:

[Image: Screenshot-7_20_200712_57_44AM-1.png]

[Image: TLBHostUtilityCrash.jpg]

Any idea why this is occurring?

Thanks.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
07-20-2007, 01:39 PM -
Quote:I started with a new toolbar, created a menu and used the pre-configured "My Computer". Then I created another and used the pre-configured "Control Panel". THe Control Panel menu set itself up inside the My Computer menu, making the My Computer icon on the taskbar disappear and replacing it with the ">>" symbol.

Why did it do that? I was trying to create a second menu that would be on the taskbar next to the My Computer menu. I cannot seem to create a separate menu - when I create the second one it always seems to go into the first.
Objects always inserted before the button you right-click. There are two ways to avoid menu with ">>":
1) TLB Settings->Toolbar. Set the "Minimum size" into something large (50 for example). In this case TLB never show menu with arrows
2) Unlock the taskbar and set the toolbar width by dragging the right side (btw. you can move toolbar on the taskbar by dragging the left side)

To create the empty menu just type the menu name and leave the second field (path to the virtual folder) empty.

Quote:Also, I experienced an explorer.exe crash while using the menu. I looked at the Event Viewer and saw that the explorer.exe crash I experienced yesterday was also caused by TLB.
Do you use allSnap or similar software?

Quote:Yes, I recreated the toolbar. No, I did not uninstall/reinstall the program - you didn't tell me to try that yet. Are you saying that I should? Or just asking if I did?
I just asked. Reinstalling TLB never helps. It writes not so much into registry.

Quote:I did create a new toolbar, but that seems to cause other problems. For example, As soon as I create a new toolbar it automatically sets itself up to the right of my taskbar - right before the System Tray. I should probably abandon what I have done so far and start fresh with a new toolbar.
Only the first TLB toolbar moved to the left side of the taskbar. Other toolbars to the right. But you can unlock the taskbar and move toolbar into any place.

Quote:One thing I did today that was very confusing: I have been creating a new backup each time I modify my toolbar. Today when the toolbar started all wrong at reboot I simply restored from the last backup and all was well again. Then I tried to create a new toolbar and leave the current one in place - didn't work. The new toolbar appeared over by the systray but the existing one disappeared. (That's why I asked if I can only have one at a time; every time I make a new toolbar the first one disappears!)
Please can you describe what you do step by step?

Quote:Could the fact that my first TLB toolbar was created right over the QuickLaunch menu be the cause of all the trouble?
No if you turned off the quick launch, TLB takes control under the QL folder.

Quote:Yuri, as I mentioned above, it seems like the first toolbar I created -- to replace the QuickLaunch menu -- is causing all of the trouble. For one thing, it picked up all the shortcuts that were already in the QL menu. I did not want to delete them because the Help file says it could delete the program (Is that right?!) So I have been "hiding" them using the "Hide" button on the TLB context menu. That must be keeping them all still in the QuickLaunch, but just masking them, correct? If that is the case then my QuickLaunch menu folder is probably way overloaded.
Yes you are right. Switching toolbar into new folder can help. This is the best solution if you want to leave quick launch as is.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
J-Mac

07-20-2007, 07:46 PM -
Thanks Yuri.

Yuri Kobets Wrote:
J-Mac Wrote:I started with a new toolbar, created a menu and used the pre-configured "My Computer". Then I created another and used the pre-configured "Control Panel". THe Control Panel menu set itself up inside the My Computer menu, making the My Computer icon on the taskbar disappear and replacing it with the ">>" symbol.

Objects always inserted before the button you right-click. There are two ways to avoid menu with ">>":
1) TLB Settings->Toolbar. Set the "Minimum size" into something large (50 for example). In this case TLB never show menu with arrows
2) Unlock the taskbar and set the toolbar width by dragging the right side (btw. you can move toolbar on the taskbar by dragging the left side)

To create the empty menu just type the menu name and leave the second field (path to the virtual folder) empty.

OK, I'll try that.

Yuri Kobets Wrote:
J-Mac Wrote:Also, I experienced an explorer.exe crash while using the menu. I looked at the Event Viewer and saw that the explorer.exe crash I experienced yesterday was also caused by TLB.
Do you use allSnap or similar software?

No, no allSnap; not sure what type of utility that is but I'll find out and see if I am running anything similar.

Yuri Kobets Wrote:
J-Mac Wrote:Yes, I recreated the toolbar. No, I did not uninstall/reinstall the program - you didn't tell me to try that yet. Are you saying that I should? Or just asking if I did?
I just asked. Reinstalling TLB never helps. It writes not so much into registry.

OK, then I will leave it as is.

Yuri Kobets Wrote:
J-Mac Wrote:I did create a new toolbar, but that seems to cause other problems. For example, As soon as I create a new toolbar it automatically sets itself up to the right of my taskbar - right before the System Tray. I should probably abandon what I have done so far and start fresh with a new toolbar.
Only the first TLB toolbar moved to the left side of the taskbar. Other toolbars to the right. But you can unlock the taskbar and move toolbar into any place.

Understood -- I'll try that when I set another toolbar up on my taskbar. (I have a standalone running right now).

Yuri Kobets Wrote:
J-Mac Wrote:One thing I did today that was very confusing: I have been creating a new backup each time I modify my toolbar. Today when the toolbar started all wrong at reboot I simply restored from the last backup and all was well again. Then I tried to create a new toolbar and leave the current one in place - didn't work. The new toolbar appeared over by the systray but the existing one disappeared. (That's why I asked if I can only have one at a time; every time I make a new toolbar the first one disappears!)
Please can you describe what you do step by step?

Well, I decided to make a second toolbar and place it somewhere else on the taskbar. I right-clicked on the taskbar, clicked on Toolbars-->, then on "True Launch Bar...", then on the "New" button, and finally on the "Select Folder..." button. From there I created a very simple new menu, which appeared on the right side of the taskbar. However the toolbar that was already in place of the QuickLaunch menu changed -- all the items in it were scattered out of order and the separators were gone altogether. So I removed the new toolbar and to get the original TL Bar back like it was I opened the TLB Settings, and clicked on Restore, But when I selected the backup file it was showing I got an error dialog saying it could not find that file. I opened Total Commander and found that the backup files were no longer in that folder. I checked the Recycle Bin to recover them if they had been accidentally deleted, but they were not there. Can't find them at all.

Yuri Kobets Wrote:
J-Mac Wrote:Could the fact that my first TLB toolbar was created right over the QuickLaunch menu be the cause of all the trouble?
No if you turned off the quick launch, TLB takes control under the QL folder.

QuickLaunch was definitely off, so that should be OK...

Yuri Kobets Wrote:
J-Mac Wrote:Yuri, as I mentioned above, it seems like the first toolbar I created -- to replace the QuickLaunch menu -- is causing all of the trouble. For one thing, it picked up all the shortcuts that were already in the QL menu. I did not want to delete them because the Help file says it could delete the program (Is that right?!) So I have been "hiding" them using the "Hide" button on the TLB context menu. That must be keeping them all still in the QuickLaunch, but just masking them, correct? If that is the case then my QuickLaunch menu folder is probably way overloaded.
Yes you are right. Switching toolbar into new folder can help. This is the best solution if you want to leave quick launch as is.

OK, I will try to move everything to a new folder. Also, as I mentioned briefly above, I have turned that original toolbar off and have gone with a standalone TLB. All has been working pretty well, but the TL program did crash earlier today. Not explorer.exe but TLB itself. I got that familiar MS dialog saying that "TLB has encountered a problem and must close" error message. No explorer crashes yet since I moved it off the taskbar.

But I would like to run it on the taskbar, though. Have to get rid of the explorer.exe crashes first.

Thanks.

Jim