I wnat to specify the width of the toolbar
Started by danmeek

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

12 posts in this topic
danmeek

365 posts 127 threads Joined: Mar 2003
05-31-2009, 05:34 PM -
I wnat to specify the width of the toolbar, particularly when several toolbars are docked together (separated by vertical lines). I see how to specify a maximum width but see no way to actually specify the width. When I move toolbars around (in a multiple toolbar setup), the widths change in an unpredictable way.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
06-01-2009, 02:40 AM -
You can use the option TLB Settings->Toolbar->Minimum size. This option specifies the minimum number of icons always visible on toolbar. Other tweek can help you to make the optimal toolbar size: double click on the separator between toolbar will automatically change the toolbar size to the maximum/optimal/minimum sizes.

Unfortunately windows don't allow to set the toolbar width in other ways.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
danmeek

07-03-2009, 02:03 AM -
Your first suggestion does not accomplish anything. No matter what minimum size I enter, the width of the toolbar (in a vertical column) does not change at all.

Your second suggestion also does nothing. There is nothing to click between two vertical toolbars docked together.

I hope you will take the time to reread the original question, as your answers were not relevant.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

07-03-2009, 06:07 AM -
The width of the vertical toolbars depends of the content of the toolbar. So if you have the option "Show Text" is turned on for toolbar then the toolbar width can become too large because the text of some can be too long. So you can to reduce the text for buttons or use the options "Max width of buttons with text" in the TLB Settings->Metrics. Other option you maybe need: TLB Settings->Toolbar->Same width for all buttons with text
The TORDEX Team
danmeek

07-03-2009, 04:41 PM -
You say that the "width of the vertical toolbars depends of the content of the toolbar," specifically the characters in the text of the items in the toolbar. This does not appear to be true. I have several toolbars that are much wider than they need to be in order to handle the text of the items in the toolbar. I have toolbars that change their width at times, even when I have made no changes to the items in the toolbar.

In addition, the width of a toolbar changes when it is included in the same column as another toolbar. What determines the width of the two toolbars in the same column.

Again, I see no way to make a toolbar conform to the width that I want. Many of them are too wide, and there appears to be no way to change that.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

07-03-2009, 04:50 PM -
Quote:In addition, the width of a toolbar changes when it is included in the same column as another toolbar. What determines the width of the two toolbars in the same column.
Please can you post some screenshots of your toolbars? Maybe I don't understand you clearly.
The TORDEX Team
danmeek

07-07-2009, 11:33 PM -
I have attempted to post screenshots, but your system will not accept them. It says they are too large (if jpg or gif) or says that your system will not accept PDF files at all. Thus, I cannot post screenshots.
danmeek

07-08-2009, 12:07 AM -
I have figured out how to use Picasa to make the images smaller.

Both of the pictures show a desktop extending across two screens. You see that the wide truelaunch bar, docked to the left edge of the left screen, extends into the right-hand screen.

If I try to narrow it, it automatically jumps to the narrow size and cannot thereafter be enlarged. Note that the narrow size hides or omits most of the content of the truelaunch bar.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

07-08-2009, 01:04 AM -
Please can you send the full sized screenshots to <!-- e --><a href="mailtoConfusedupport@truelaunchbar.com">support@truelaunchbar.com</a><!-- e -->

And one question: try to right-click the empty space of toolbar and select the "Open" menu item. What folder is opened?
The TORDEX Team
danmeek

07-08-2009, 02:12 AM -
Are you not able to recognize the problem from the screenshots I have sent?

I have several toolbars docked together, so when I click on an open space, the result depends on which toolbar I am in. Each time, "open" opens a Windows Explorer window showing the directory of the toolbar.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

07-08-2009, 04:34 AM -
Now I see your toolbars... many toolbars Confusedhock:

As I understand you want to see all items on the toolbars but make the toolbars more narrow. Is this right?

Unfortunately TLB cannot to control its width. TLB just report the minimum width and Windows decide how to arrange the toolbars. So you can try to reduce the minimum toolbar width. On the attached screenshot (toolbar1.jpg). You can see the toolbars Programs, debug2 and launchbar are smaller then the toolbar "True Launch Bar". I've changed the option TLB Settings->Metrics->"Max width of buttons with text"->Small buttons into 100. It is very important to change this value for all toolbars in the row to get the same effect.

So the changing this option you can make your toolbars more narrow.

Other option that can control th width of the toolbar: TLB Settings->Toolbar->Sizing step This option specifies the minimum size the toolbar width can be changed. On the screenshot toolbar2.jpg I've set the Sizing step for toolbar "launchbar" into 100. When I resize the toolbar I get the two buttons rows in the left toolbars and I can to reduce the width of the right toolbar only.

So using these two options you can create the configuration you want.

PS. I know this is your choice how to use the toolbars but maybe it will be better to use the menus instead the toolbars? One button will show all items you have on separate toolbar now. You can tear off the menu if want the menu stay opened after running something. Multicolumn menus will always show all items. And it is much easy to configure menus then the toolbars.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The TORDEX Team
danmeek

07-22-2009, 06:11 PM -
Thank you for your attention to this, but your suggestions do not work. Still, the toolbars change width, apparently at random. They also stack onto each other vertically upon reboot or relogon, thus reducing the number of toolbar columns. I have found no way to control how they appear, so I am going to give up on docked toolbars, probably, and use only the standalone ones. But those keep disappearing, as noted in my thread in the bugs section.