Things to consider - RFMs
Started by akidd

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

7 posts in this topic
akidd

8 posts 4 threads Joined: Aug 2002
08-05-2002, 07:39 PM -
I really like RTB. Registered, but there are several things that occur to me while learning it. It isn't very intuitive in several ways and there are a few things I'd like to see changed.

Why do you have to select the IE Toolbars menu, choose a folder and then go back to the toolbars menu and select RTB... to get it to work?? wierd.

The first time I created a menu, I selected Properties and then changed the icon in the properties page. The icon doesn't change. You have to go to the context menu and select Appearance.

Try opening the folder of a menu you have created. Or drag and drop shortcuts onto that menu. They don't appear until you manually press Refresh??? You get a drop event or a mousepress - why not refresh then?

If a skin is selected - why are the menu appearance and font colors options visible? Changing them does nothing (wish it did work)

For the common objects that are skinned in IE, why should you have to have a separate skin? Why not use the 3d object, and menu skins available in the IE skins? This way very little would need to be skinned separately and all the skins in StyleXP would just work.

Try creating a menu, changine the appearance Thumbnails. Now change it back to icons - the text appears beneath the icons - you have to manually change the number of columns back to 1 (or whatever) and there is no way to get the text to the right of the icon without recreating the folder from scratch.

The TLB Settings tab called Toolbars should be called Fast toolbar switching or something. It seems like you are creating additional toolbars - but you are only creating toolbars to switch to...

For an app that runs inproc with Explorer - it sure seems to crash alot.

Anyway, really like it!
akidd

08-05-2002, 08:20 PM -
Got the beta... disregard my comments about the skins.

Now I have to ask - why even have skin support?
Doug Smith

218 posts 21 threads Joined: Jul 2001
08-05-2002, 10:22 PM -
Quote:I really like RTB.
What's this RTB your talking about?

Quote:The first time I created a menu, I selected Properties and then changed the icon in the properties page. The icon doesn't change. You have to go to the context menu and select Appearance.
My icon changed immediately either with properties or appearance. Might want to check your system
Quote:Try opening the folder of a menu you have created. Or drag and drop shortcuts onto that menu. They don't appear until you manually press Refresh??? You get a drop event or a mousepress - why not refresh then?
Completely wrong. I drop shortcuts into folders all day long and they appear immediately.
Quote:The TLB Settings tab called Toolbars should be called Fast toolbar switching or something. It seems like you are creating additional toolbars - but you are only creating toolbars to switch to...
I can't understand this at all. What are you talking about? Sounds like you need to learn a bit more about windows and they way it works
Quote:For an app that runs inproc with Explorer - it sure seems to crash alot.
If you are using True Launch Bar version 1.2.5 RC3 - then a crash might happen. That why it's called a BETA version. You do understand what a BETA version is don't you? If you want stability download 1.1.0.17. That's why it's called a FINAL version.

BTW - Did you tell us *anything* about your system configuration. What version of Windows (I guess XP but who knows) how much memory? What shell version etc etc
akidd

08-06-2002, 09:46 AM -
boy doug you are a friendly guy.

Your right, I didn't experience any of these things. I took time to write this forum message just to aggravate you.

Since RTB is an APP, I find it hard to believe there is much system dependence in its operation.

So regardless of the fact that someone as smart as you doesn't see the same issues - I do see them and reported them here so I could get some help.

Thanks for your help and insight. I'm going to read a "how to use windows book" now.
Eric J Johnson

193 posts 25 threads Joined: Jun 2001
08-06-2002, 10:18 AM -
Now boys.. can't we all just get alone.. Wink
-

It would be helpful if we knew what you are talking about when you refer to RTB*

Please explain or give full name and url.
-

Change a Icon by rightclick/Apperance/Change Icon
-

-->Try opening the folder of a menu you have created. Or drag and drop shortcuts onto that menu. They don't appear until you manually press Refresh??? You get a drop event or a mousepress - why not refresh then?

I think I have seen this happen a few times. I dragged a icon to a menu and it did not appear.. usually it does.
-

-->If a skin is selected - why are the menu appearance and font colors options visible? Changing them does nothing (wish it did work)

You don't have to use skins. Smile
-

-->The TLB Settings tab called Toolbars should be called Fast toolbar switching or something. It seems like you are creating additional toolbars - but you are only creating toolbars to switch to...

I not sure what you mean plus "Fast toolbar switching" is alot to fit onto a button.
You are creating additional toolbars to switch to.

If this is not in the FAQ I will make sure it is added.
Alot can be learned by visiting the FAQ site. Wink
-
-->For an app that runs inproc with Explorer - it sure seems to crash alot.

I have personally been using True Launch Bar for well over a year and had one crash from dragging a icon from the desktop to a menu in TLB. Lucky me this is now fixed. Smile

Some questions I did not understand.. so I answered what I though I did understand.. Hope it helps.
Eric J. Johnson|Proud American|GetMeHosted.com|OC-192!
GetMeHosted.com Members Get TrueLaunchBar @ OVER 50% Off!
Support the American Red Cross: Click Here to donate
akidd

08-06-2002, 03:09 PM -
Eric J Johnson Wrote:It would be helpful if we knew what you are talking about when you refer to RTB*

Please explain or give full name and url.
-

Change a Icon by rightclick/Apperance/Change Icon
-

-->Try opening the folder of a menu you have created. Or drag and drop shortcuts onto that menu. They don't appear until you manually press Refresh??? You get a drop event or a mousepress - why not refresh then?

I think I have seen this happen a few times. I dragged a icon to a menu and it did not appear.. usually it does.
-

-->If a skin is selected - why are the menu appearance and font colors options visible? Changing them does nothing (wish it did work)

You don't have to use skins. Smile
-

-->The TLB Settings tab called Toolbars should be called Fast toolbar switching or something. It seems like you are creating additional toolbars - but you are only creating toolbars to switch to...

I not sure what you mean plus "Fast toolbar switching" is alot to fit onto a button.
You are creating additional toolbars to switch to.

If this is not in the FAQ I will make sure it is added.
Alot can be learned by visiting the FAQ site. Wink
-
-->For an app that runs inproc with Explorer - it sure seems to crash alot.

I have personally been using True Launch Bar for well over a year and had one crash from dragging a icon from the desktop to a menu in TLB. Lucky me this is now fixed. Smile

Some questions I did not understand.. so I answered what I though I did understand.. Hope it helps.
RTB... me being ######. I keep calling it "Real toolbar" in my head and acidentally used that acronym.

The icons not appear did happen right after installing TLB, but since a restart I cannot reproduce.

In the True Launch Bar Setting dialog, on the "Toolbars" tab - it seems intuitive that you are creating brand new toolbars that could be enabled by right clicking the Explorer taskbar, selecting "Toolbar" and have it appear. If I am correct, this is not the case - you are creating alternate toolbars you can switch to in the same realestate as the original toolbar settings you are modifying. That was why I suggested calling the tab "Toolbar Switching" or something like that.

Glad it doesn't crash for you. I've never run RLB - never have crashes in Explorer - but since I've been running it the past few days I've seen several crashes.

It is common in software usage and design to learn a new paradigm for workflow and then assume it is intuitive. Longtime users may feel comfortable, where new users may be confused. I'm not throwing stones, as I said in my original message - these are things to consider. Just adding my opinion to help RLB reach even more users. (as it should)
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
08-06-2002, 03:46 PM -
Quote:I keep calling it "Real toolbar" in my head and acidentally used that acronym.
"Real toolbar" hmmm... nice Big Grin

Quote:The icons not appear did happen right after installing TLB, but since a restart I cannot reproduce.
What version do you use before?

Quote:In the True Launch Bar Setting dialog, on the "Toolbars" tab - it seems intuitive that you are creating brand new toolbars that could be enabled by right clicking the Explorer taskbar, selecting "Toolbar" and have it appear. If I am correct, this is not the case - you are creating alternate toolbars you can switch to in the same realestate as the original toolbar settings you are modifying. That was why I suggested calling the tab "Toolbar Switching" or something like that.
Toolbars tab used not only for switching. If you try to open second copy of TLB (or hold down SHIFT key while open TLB) you will see dialog box with created toolbars. So the name of tab is valid Smile

Quote:Glad it doesn't crash for you. I've never run RLB - never have crashes in Explorer - but since I've been running it the past few days I've seen several crashes.
Please tell when you got the crash? What do you do before crash?
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Captain Caveman

62 posts 8 threads Joined: Sep 2001
08-09-2002, 10:54 AM -
I also need to refresh whenever I drag/drop icons into the TLB Menu's. Not a big deal for me, but it does happen.

Running the latest beta... but thats been happening to myself for quite sometime.