Finally upgraded from 4.4
Started by Gbit

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
Gbit

11 posts 6 threads Joined: May 2009
04-23-2011, 12:48 AM -
I have been using TLB now for at least 3 or 4 years and love the software. I would find it hard to live without it. I just now upgraded to 5.4 from 4.4 after a about 6 months of hesitation since I had everything just about perfect. But I thought I should before I got too far behind. Well I am not very pleased Sad ! I am using a Windows XP machine and after the upgrade I have lost the transparency I had before on my menus and the text highlighting of the items on the menu. The Special Effects does give me the transparency of the menu but not the highlite of the selected item. And what is worse is that the text on the menu looks very bad with this "special effects" transparency. The old way you did the transparency was much much better, at least for me on an XP machine.

So my question is: How can I reinstall the old 4.4 version again without losing settings? Can I load the old version without uninstalling the 5.4? Or if I uninstall it, can I save the setting to put it back as it was?

I was a very happy with the way it was and should have left it that way. Now it's a mess and being a perfectionist, it is driving me crazy.

Please help me out here.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
04-23-2011, 04:00 PM -
The easy way to downgrade:
1) Close TLB and restart computer
2) Delete tlb.dll in the folder C:\Program Files\TrueLaunchBar
3) Install old version

All settings must be saved.

Quote:I am using a Windows XP machine and after the upgrade I have lost the transparency I had before on my menus and the text highlighting of the items on the menu.
Yes, transparency is changed. But what is wrong with text highlighting?
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Gbit

11 posts 6 threads Joined: May 2009
04-26-2011, 09:50 AM -
Quote:Yes, transparency is changed. But what is wrong with text highlighting?

Yuri,
The issue with the text highlighting is that with the old version, the highlighting was transparent so you could see the Overlay applied to the menu. Now with the newer transparency method, the highlighting is opaque and doesn't allow the overlay to show through. This would seem to be because the "new" transparency is not making the whole menu transparent like the old version did.

This same issue has the highlighting of items on the toolbar also affected. When I hover over a toolbar item/icon the highlight is opaque and doesn't show the gradient color of the toolbar.

The other issue I had was the "sharpness" of the text (highlighted or not) when the new transparency is applied. I have seen this lack of sharpness to the text in other applications that tried to emulate the Vista like transparency... so it might just be my machine that can't deal with it.

ALSO: I did not mention, I am using the "Classic" Windows theme/UI on my XP machine and have defined the "highlight" among other things in Appearance , which may be the difference.

If this issue were resolved, I could move to the newer version, but otherwise I'll stick with 4.4. The new features like:
- the "shift" key to move menu items when they are locked
- the "margins" for separators
- the "Icon only" with "Icon with text" mixed on the same menu
are great enhancements I would use, but not enough to live with the transparency issue.

Thanks again though, for a great product and for what is probably the best customer support I have ever seen.