[Solved] New User With A Problem
Started by kryten68

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
kryten68

8 posts 3 threads Joined: Jun 2011
06-03-2011, 10:36 PM -
I bought True Launch Bar based on the description from BitsDuJour yesterday - It sounded exactly what I had been looking for!

Spend a while yesterday setting it all up and replacing the dock that I had been using previously. Very happy with it too.

...Apart from one thing.....

My laptop is noticeably slower now.

I have set up seven menus only. Each points to a virtual folder with between 3 and 19 items. No gadgets. Nothing else just menus.
I first noticed the slowdown when I was editing a document after setting it all up. Closer investigation shows cpu running high mostly because of explorer.exe consuming up to 49% CPU.

So I uninstalled and rebooted. Explorer.exe was then examined and found to be peaking at about 8% CPU.

I re-installed and restored my menus and I'm back to (up to 49%) CPU - with some slowdown.

My laptop is a T400 Lenovo Thinkpad.

I really like TLB and want to adopt it as my chosen launcher, I think Tordex (Yuri?) has done a bang up job with the software, but the high CPU is a real problem.

Would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Regards,
Stuart

PS - Just as an afterthought I suppose I should really:-

1. Uninstall & Reboot.
2. Reinstall TLB (Monitor CPU )
3. Restore Menus one at a time while monitoring to see if any one of them is causing it.

Will try that today.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
06-04-2011, 02:02 AM -
If you don't use plugins TLB don't take CPU at all. But even with plugins 49% is much high.
Please can you give more information about your system: what is your Windows version. Also check if you are using the latest TLB version (5.4).

Also please can you backup the toolbar (TLB Settings->Options->Backup) and send the backup file to me by email (<!-- e --><a href="mailtoConfusedupport@tordex.com">support@tordex.com</a><!-- e -->)? I'll check your configuration on my side.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
kryten68

06-06-2011, 04:33 AM -
Hi Yuri,

It was the plug-ins that were causing the problem. Not knowing which ones I might want I chose to download them all.

I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled and chose no plugins. Now cpu/explorer.exe is fine.

I re-instated my Menus and whoosh I'm flying now! Awesome product. Makes a real difference to your productivity!

One more question, if I may? Is there any way to reduce the width consumed on the taskbar when using icon&text label option? It seems that even if the text is E.g. 5 Chars there is a big space between the final Char and the next Menu item? See screen cap.[attachment=0]

Its minor though.

Thanks for an amazing product.
Stuart

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
06-06-2011, 07:02 AM -
Quote:One more question, if I may? Is there any way to reduce the width consumed on the taskbar when using icon&text label option? It seems that even if the text is E.g. 5 Chars there is a big space between the final Char and the next Menu item?
Try to turn off the option: TLB Settings->Toolbar->General->Same width for all buttons with text.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
kryten68

06-06-2011, 07:35 AM -
Fantastic!
Thanks Yuri

Another satisfied customer Big Grin