Early thoughts about Metro in W8 Preview vs TLB in W7
Started by atitlan

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
atitlan

33 posts 16 threads Joined: Dec 2008
09-18-2011, 09:14 PM -
Been using TLB since 2008. Can not imagine owning a PC for serious work without it.

Have been following the first buzz about W8 and its Metro interface. After reading Thurrott, Bott, et al in their numerous posts from the Build conference and studying the screenshots, I find it hard to imagine that Metro on 8 will remotely approximate the efficiency and effectiveness of TLB on 7.

I do appreciate the utility of Metro for touch screen tablets and smart phones. But I don't see its benefit for word processing, desktop publishing, web site building, illustration and bit map editing, spreadsheet work, etc. on a PC.

Anyone thinking to the contrary or with experience to the contrary from using the W8 preview?

Here's hoping the 'desktop environment' far being deprecated in W8 will continue as a full fledged, easily toggled alternative for PCs and will continue to support the next generation True Launch Bar.

Yuri Kobets: long life and prosperity — and long live TLB!.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
09-18-2011, 10:01 PM -
I've tried the Windows 8 and the new Metro interface. The Metro interface is good, but for tablet PC's with the touch screens or on the media centers. Using Metro on the desktops with mouse is very hard (I even don't find the shutdown button Confusedhock: ). The good news is there are the same desktop as in Windows 7, and TLB is working fine there. I don't think that MS switch all W8 desktop computers into the Metro interface in the final release, so TLB will outlive the Windows 8 Big Grin
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
atitlan

33 posts 16 threads Joined: Dec 2008
09-19-2011, 03:30 PM -
Thank you, Yuri, for your prompt response.

Happy to learn that you think similarly about Metro but above all that TLB will continue into the next generation of Windows.

All good wishes!