Issue with Virtual Folders & Tearoff Menus
Started by Samuel52

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1 posts in this topic
Samuel52

1 posts 1 threads Joined: Aug 2012
08-20-2012, 10:47 AM -
I recently updated TLB from the 4.4 version to the current version.
In playing around with this new version I found something that I'm not sure is a bug; or a misunderstanding on my part, and I need some help.

When I first install TLB (version 4.1, I think) I had created a button menu called "Quick Folders" and in the past I was using the QF button to store shortcuts to folders I want access to by grabbing a folder out of Windows Explorer and pulling it to the QF button, creating a shortcut to it in the process. The problem over time was that the QF button was becoming a big mess with so many folder shortcuts in it.

One thing I like in TLB was the way a user's Documents folder would expand to show the contents inside it, and how other folders with in would expand too. So looking in the TLB help file of this new version I discovered this "Virtual Folder" capability could work on other folders too.

I created a few virtual folders buttons in the QF menu for a few of my top level folders and saw that like the Documents folder they were expanding to show the contents, and lower level folders would expand too. And the little arrow on the right side let me easily tell which buttons in the QF Menu would expand to show the contents, or simple open in an Explorer window, which I liked.

Anyway in trying this out I also found (by accident) that grabbing the cation bar with the mouse would separate this expanded listing from the button (another new feature in the newt version, I think). Now I knew TLB had this trick feature called a Tear-off Menu, yet I had never used them as I couldn't think of why I would ever want to do that. But I though this was pretty cool since I could now position this expanded folder listing anywhere on my desktop, and saw some advantages in it. Cool

Then when I closed the free floating folder listing, I thought it would reattach itself back to the virtual folder button I originally tore it off from. Instead I found my expanding virtual folder button no longer showed the little right arrow, and now seemed to behave like one of my non-virtual folder shortcuts - clicking on it opened an Explorer window of that folder. Huh

I've looked though the TLB help and can't seem to find anything that tells me how to fix this, other than by creating a second virtual folder button for the same folder. So I'm hoping you can explain what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
08-22-2012, 01:00 AM -
This is the bug, I'll fix it in the next version. The problem in the option TLB Settings->Menu->General->Run submenus on click. This option allows to open the virtual folders in explorer with single click. Turn off this option and TLB will open the menu. This topic shows how to "attach" the tear off menu.

You can open the virtual folder in explorer with double click.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com