Started by Tannin

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1 posts in this topic
Tannin

1 posts 1 threads Joined: Jul 2013
07-10-2013, 08:18 AM -
Hi,

I'm struggling to find simple information about the basics so as to avoid data loss. What is the relationship between TLB and information stored elsewhere in the file system? Normally, shortcuts are shortcuts and real objects (such as files and folders) are real objects. Menus and menuing systems (such as start->programs or the Quick Launch tray or desktop shortcuts) *always* shadow the real objects. But TLB virtual folders apparently break this rule! No doubt there are good reasons for this, but the notion of a shortcut that, when deleted, deletes the target object as well seems very dangerous, and it's an absolute no-go zone for the system I want to set up with TLB for a non-technical family member shortly. (Even for my own system I don't much like the idea of sudden-death menus.)

Where can I find a concise listing of the different sorts of items one can place on the TLB and their properties so as to avoid the dangerous ones? Which things can I put there and then safely delete? Which things must I take care not to put on the TLB lest deletion of the shortcut deletes the underlying object as well?

One can, for example, right click and go new -> menu - but does that provide the option to create a simple menu equivalent to a list of shortcuts? Or does it always create a (doubtless useful but dangerous) virtual folder? How does one tell the difference.

Thankyou!
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
07-11-2013, 05:00 PM -
Think of a virtual folder as a window of the Windows Explorer. So the "Delete" in the virtual folder will delete the real file. Also you can right-click any item and select "Open in explorer". TLB will open the Windows Explorer window with the real object/file selected. This selected file is the file that TLB delete if you'll select "Delete".

I must to say that TLB works exactly like start->programs or the Quick Launch tray or desktop shortcuts. TLB just shows the files. As you know the shortcuts are the special files. Every shortcut you see in start->programs or on the desktop is the "shortcut file". Deletion of the shortcut file is the safe operation.

So if you have the "All Programs" virtual folder, then deleting of any shortcut will delete "shortcut file". the standard Start menu works in same way.

I agree, the problems begin when you create the virtual folder with the real files (not shortcut files). But when you create menu with real files, just keep in mind that this is not a menu, this is Windows Explorer shown as menu Wink And 3 simple rules:
  • Use the Delete menu item with icon
  • Use "Open in explorer" to view what will be deleted. Or delete the file in explorer
  • Use Hide or menu filters features if you don't want to really delete something.

Quote:One can, for example, right click and go new -> menu - but does that provide the option to create a simple menu equivalent to a list of shortcuts? Or does it always create a (doubtless useful but dangerous) virtual folder? How does one tell the difference.
If you need just a menu with your shortcut, leave the virtual folder path empty. TLB will create the folder inside the toolbar folder and you can drag&drop shortcuts there - this is 100% safe way.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com