Open in a NEW WINDOW or Run/Launch an application before running the CURRENT Shortcut
Started by gks

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
gks

18 posts 4 threads Joined: Nov 2014
02-13-2015, 09:33 PM -
I have some webpages as menu-items in a TLB menu
I have some onenote locations as menu-items in a TLB menu

Every time i click on the menu-item - it opens the location in already opened instance of the window, opening in a new tab in chrome and overriding already opened location in case of onenote (which is very problematic, although not any fault of TLB)
Can we have some way to launch the TLB item in a NEW instance of that specific application.

OR,
Can we have a field for a menu-item where i can specify - "Run application Before / After" -> To specify to TLB -> (1) First run onenote.exe (2) then run the shortcut of current menu-item OR (1) first run the shortcut of current menu-item (2) then run the autohotkey script

or is this feature of 'run before / after' already available and i could not find it yet ?

Although, there is a workaround to do so by specifying the path for onenote.exe in the shortcut but then the shortcut is TRUNCATED in the end and TLB also truncates the shortcut from the end
Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
02-14-2015, 11:00 PM -
Are you talking about opening a web page in a new tab versus opening a page using a currently opened tab and thereby wiping the opened page and you wanted to keep that page open? Also if this is the case which browser are you using?

If the above is true for web pages and you are using Firefox a solution can be provided for you.

Please advise.
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
gks

02-16-2015, 09:30 PM -
Thanks,

I've 2 distinct 'parts' of workflow(s) ->

(1)
(a) In TLB Menu I've added some locations to 'OneNote Pages'
(b) Now i open a onenote page -> It opens correctly
© then i click on another onenote page shortcut in TLB -> It opens 'this' shortcut also in the 'SAME' window in which the previous onenote page was opened and thus over-riding the previously opened location in onenote, while I want to open 'this' new page in a new onenote window
(d) I might have a small workaround for it -> adding onenote.exe (full path) before the shortcut in the TLB-item properties
Problem with this approach -> It will truncate the path string from the end
(e) I've devised a perfectly working work-around for it -> I've developed an ahk script which has 2 lines ->
line 1 -> Open a new instance of onenote using onenote-specific keyboard shortcut
line 2 -> open the onenote location

Thus for adding a shortcut to onenote page in TLB menu ->
(i) I create a new ahk script and add the onenote page location in this ahk script
(ii) then in TLB menu -> I add the shortcut to 'this AHK script' and not to the onenote location
Problem with this approach -> For each onenote location i've to write a SEPARATE ahk script which is a time-and-MOOD-consuming / wasting-task

(f) So what i want is ->
I want to add the 'Onenote Location' shortcut to TLB and not to Ahk script
then in this shortcut's properties somewhere i can tell -> Run OpenNewWindow.ahk (to open a new onenote window) BEFORE running the shortcut for 'THIS TLB Menu-item'

So that when i click on TLB Menu item -> It will first open a new instance of onenote and then will run the TLB-menu-item shortcut

(g) So the requirement is to have an option in TLB-Menu Properties / Appearance - to 'RUN AN APPLICATION BEFORE / AFTER running the 'path' specified for THIS TLB-menu-ITEM'

(2) Same thing is required for google chrome as i've added some web-locations to TLB menu

One More request ->
Many times for the shortcut to a onenote page which is under many levels in onenote -> THE PATH IS TRUNCATED IN THE END as shown in TLB-items properties, and does Not work as the truncated location is NOT FOUND
While it seems to work fine if the path is given in an ahk script and then ahk script is run

Is there any work-around for using the longer paths 'using TLB menu only' without using the ahk script ?

Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
02-17-2015, 02:12 PM -
The solution that was mentioned is actually for the purpose of for example clicking on a webpage shortcut in a TLB menu and opening in a new tab in the browser instead of opening in the currently open tab.

As far as Onenote - that will have to be for the Developer to advise. Sorry but Onenote is not used here so there is no experience with it unfortunately.

The Developer should be able to advise you soon here.

Best regards
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
gks

02-20-2015, 01:11 AM -
Thanks,

Hi Yuri, any views on it . . . .

Actually i just provided the example for onenote,

The general request is simple ->
to have an option in TLB-Menu Properties / Appearance - to 'RUN AN APPLICATION BEFORE / AFTER running the 'path' specified for THIS TLB-menu-ITEM'

One More request ->
Many times for the shortcut to a onenote page which is under many levels in onenote -> THE PATH IS TRUNCATED IN THE END as shown in TLB-items properties, and does Not work as the truncated location is NOT FOUND
While it seems to work fine if the path is given in an ahk script and then ahk script is run

Is there any work-around for using the longer paths 'using TLB menu only' without using the ahk script ?
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
05-03-2015, 12:16 PM -
Quote:to have an option in TLB-Menu Properties / Appearance - to 'RUN AN APPLICATION BEFORE / AFTER running the 'path' specified for THIS TLB-menu-ITEM'
I'll add this into the Buttons properties. Is this OK?

Quote:Many times for the shortcut to a onenote page which is under many levels in onenote -> THE PATH IS TRUNCATED IN THE END as shown in TLB-items properties, and does Not work as the truncated location is NOT FOUND

Is this the standard windows shortcut? Please can you try to copy this shortcut to the desktop and run (double click) it. Is it working?
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com