Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 posts in this topic
Wisewiz
Speaks Ancient Geek

81 posts 31 threads Joined: Dec 2007
02-07-2016, 06:27 AM -
Yuri,

I've been using TLB for more than ten years (Yeah, I should buy another license!) and many of my menus contain virtual folders, but I've never seen the menu flyout that says "Loading Folder Contents" until very recently. It only shows for about a half-second; just long enough to read it. Then the full folder contents shows as usual. Have I done something that slowed down my menu's access to the folder contents? Is this a new feature?

(BTW, I've needed to use the Restore control from my TLB backups a couple of times recently. Works perfectly every time!)

Thanks.
Wisewiz
To those who do not have any, even a little knowledge of computing seems like wizardry.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
02-10-2016, 10:45 AM -
The option for this: TLB Settings->Options->General->Load Virtual Folders in background

When "Load Virtual Folders in background" is turned on TLB shows "Loading Folder Contents..." while loading content. When this option is turned off, TLB freezes before content will be loaded. This can create some problems if you are using folders with many items.

This option is turned on by default.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Wisewiz
Speaks Ancient Geek

81 posts 31 threads Joined: Dec 2007
02-10-2016, 10:55 AM -
Thanks, Yuri,

There must be a threshold for the number of items in the folder (or the time it takes to load them all) that I never passed until recently. If I reduce the number of items in the folder, should I expect the "Loading folder contents" notice to stop popping up?
(A few minutes later)
Never mind. I just did some serious housekeeping in the folder that was giving TLB trouble because of its size or number of items. I had the same folder on both of my computers, and the "Loading" notice was popping up on both of them. I have removed a lot of old garbage from the folders on both computers, and the popup has stopped on both computers. The sheer genius of this program continues to amaze me, even after all these years of using it.
This post was last modified: 02-10-2016, 11:31 AM by Wisewiz.
Wisewiz
To those who do not have any, even a little knowledge of computing seems like wizardry.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
02-10-2016, 11:25 AM -
Yes, generally you will not notice the "Loading..." when there are not many items and your system (drive and windows explorer) is fast.

Also note, you can preload some folders huge folders. Look at the attached screenshot. I usually preload the "Programs" folder.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com