Auto Sensing Bar idea - Could be changed by active window title
Started by mark76uk

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
mark76uk

111 posts 17 threads Joined: Feb 2003
02-21-2003, 07:19 AM -
Hi, I was just playing with the great new Auto Sensing bar feature on the new TLB beta. Fantastic for opening P2P program download folders! Smile

However, the way I expected it to swap bars was according to the title text of the active window. Would this be a useful addition?

Perhaps, say.. Each time you look over your website, you want the programs and folders to hand for editing it. Also, easy access to Javascript, HTML and Perl reference sites. The title bar of the browser will indicate what site you're on. A TLB could change when the active window title includes *yoursitename.com* or *Your Site Name* (with the asterixes as wildcards.)

Or.. You're browsing files in explorer. The name (and path, optionally) of the current folder is shown in the title bar. A TLB (maybe attached to the explorer window?) changes to make related programs, files and folders quickly available.

Or.. You want your skins folder when looking at the TLB skins page.. or plugins folder when looking at the plugins. Getting to these could be made easier by having a TLB swap for title bars which include *Skins Library* or *plugin*

No doubt some people have *really* frequent tasks they do which could be made easier by an 'active window title' sensitive bar.

/Mark
shapeshifter

658 posts 24 threads Joined: Sep 2002
02-21-2003, 07:38 AM -
Sounds like that would be useful to me. By the way, nice avatar Wink
mark76uk

02-21-2003, 04:14 PM -
The attached screenshot shows part of the Perfect Keyboard interface which deals with detecting the current window state and title. Actions can then be performed, according to what is found.

I just discovered that Auto Sense TLBs *do* change if they are attached to Windows Explorer windows. This could be good news for anyone who'd like an explorer toolbar which varies according to the folder you are browsing.

shapeshifter Wrote:By the way, nice avatar Wink
Thanks. Animation Shop does the water ripples.
south-park

4 posts 0 threads Joined: Feb 2003
02-26-2003, 12:43 PM -
Quote:I just discovered that Auto Sense TLBs *do* change if they are attached to Windows Explorer windows. This could be good news for anyone who'd like an explorer toolbar which varies according to the folder you are browsing.

Does anyone known how this works ??
mark76uk

02-26-2003, 01:05 PM -
Answers to questions you may be asking:

(a) How do I add a TLB to explorer?

See this link.

(b) How do I make an explorer toolbar which varies according to the folder i'm browsing?

I don't think you can. This was my feature request.

© How does auto sensing work?

Auto-sensing loads a magic bar when you are using a particular program. This can be used for quick access to tools and files you use in connection with the program.

To make one:-

(i) right click on a TLB which you want to replace with magic bars when particular programs load
(ii) go to 'TLB settings'
(iii) click 'auto sensing' tab
(iv) add a new workspace (i.e. magic TLB bar), give it a name
(v) choose the folder you wish the bar to be based in
(vi) choose the programs you want to trigger appearance of the bar

Click 'OK' to leave the options. Load a program you chose to trigger a magic bar. The bar should appear (blank, if you chose an empty folder for it to be based in.)

The magic bar should appear whenever you are working in its related program(s), or revert to the original (non-magic) bar whenever you click to a different program.

Unlike other programs, using an explorer window will not make the bar revert back to the original bar. Neither will any of the programs you select as 'common programs' (e.g. calculator, dictionary.)

Smile
/Mark

(Bit tired of typing, so sorry if I left anything unclear.)