Could TLB 2.0.0.6 contain a spyware? - Strange TLB 2.0.0.6 behavior
Started by Lixeiro

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

6 posts in this topic
Lixeiro

2 posts 1 threads Joined: Jul 2003
07-13-2003, 03:38 PM -
After installing the (beta) version of True Launch Bar 2.0.0.6, I found a strange command in my registry, named “InnoSetupRegFile.0000000001”:

The command was: <machine run once : “is-SL32R.exe /REG”>

To confirm the origin of this command, I installed a demo of True Launch Bar 2.0.0.6 in another computer and I found the same command in the registry, however the name of the archive was somewhat different:

<machine run once: “is-NGUFH.exe /REG”>

I found both executables (“is-SL32R.exe” and “is-NGUFH.exe”) in my system directories.
They are very small (~30 kb), but I could not determine its properties (Product name, Legal Trademark, version, etc.).

I deleted registry the commands, the archives, and TLB 2.0.0.6 is working very well.

Are these archives a spyware?

“O Lixeiro”
:angry:
"O Lixeiro"
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
07-13-2003, 03:59 PM -
No, this is not spyware. True Launch Bar does not contain such things!

This command appear only if you install TLB over existing and opened TLB. Setup cannot replace file (dll) and delay copy process up to next restart. After restart dll-s must be registered so setup will place that commands. After restart all this commands will be removed.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
IceCaveman

213 posts 52 threads Joined: Jan 2003
07-13-2003, 04:05 PM -
I searched for all those values in my registry and found not a single evidence of them. How can you be so sure they came with Truelaunchbar? are you running somekind of monitoring utilities that detects every changed registry value? Could it not be possible you installed SOMETHING else on your computers?
Try to search for this on google, I won't search for you as I don't have this "problem" of yours on my WindowsXP with TrueLaunchbar
Lixeiro

2 posts 1 threads Joined: Jul 2003
07-13-2003, 05:29 PM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:No, this is not spyware. True Launch Bar does not contain such things!

This command appear only if you install TLB over existing and opened TLB. Setup cannot replace file (dll) and delay copy process up to next restart. After restart dll-s must be registered so setup will place that commands. After restart all this commands will be removed.

OK, Yuri.

I think True Launch Bar is a very nice program (Microsoft will certainly incorporate it in the next Windows version).

However, the properties of the archives (name, version, owner, etc) which do the upgrade, should be defined more precisely.

O Lixeiro

???
"O Lixeiro"
Fracture

24 posts 4 threads Joined: Oct 2002
07-14-2003, 11:08 AM -
This is just a guess, but those files are probably a product of the standardized installer package that Yuri uses, and not anything he wrote himself.

Like I said, though, just a guess.

Cheers,
Al
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
07-14-2003, 01:06 PM -
Fracture Wrote:This is just a guess, but those files are probably a product of the standardized installer package that Yuri uses, and not anything he wrote himself.

Like I said, though, just a guess.
You are right. I use Inno Setup installer.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com