Mail Monitor version 2.0 suggestions - Please discuss and add your suggestions
Started by cmishima

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

61 posts in this topic
cmishima

347 posts 138 threads Joined: Jun 2001
09-21-2003, 11:47 AM -
I think the current Mail Monitor 1.9 is actually the best POP mail checker available. Thank you to Mr, Kobets for such a fine utility.

I would like to start a thread to discuss Mail Monitor 2.0.

Here are some requests that have been made.

- Mail Monitor should have ability to access WEB based email such as Hotmail and Yahoo mail.

- User should be able to ADD and REMOVE DNSBL services

- Make all Mail Monitor windows resizable

[Image: resize.jpg]

- Add suspend this rule feature

[Image: suspendrule.jpg]

- Allow for Export and Import of mail accounts
Please read the True Launch Bar FAQ (Frequently asked questions)
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.truelaunchbar.info">http://www.truelaunchbar.info</a><!-- m -->
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
09-21-2003, 12:17 PM -
Quote:User should be able to ADD and REMOVE DNSBL services
You can it right now. Find dnsbl.ini file inside installation folder. This file have transparent syntax so you can add/remove DNSBL services. But I'll make UI for this operation also.

Quote:Add suspend this rule feature
Disable all filtering conditions inside rule to suspend rule. To do this quickly just select all conditions, right-click Disable

Other features will be released. Thanks.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Denis

192 posts 19 threads Joined: Dec 2002
09-21-2003, 03:53 PM -
Hello. Smile

Yuri has just delivered the best version of Mail Monitor, and we already start making requests. Big Grin

Well, here are mine. Wink

- Ability to create specific rules per account, and common rules for all accounts.
[Image: apply-to.gif] [Image: rules-per-accounts.gif]
- Right-click menu in the message/source/headers window.
Mainly to be able to "copy" without having to use the keyboard.
- A simple HTML parser mainly to be able to click on properly formed links.
- The ability to create folders in the Mail Monitor accounts pane (i.e, Friends, Work, To save, ...).
[Image: folders.gif]
- Ability to edit/change the "From" field when replying.
- A "Write new mail" button.
- Adding "Deleted by rule", "Manually Deleted" to the log file.
- Ability to customise the font settings used to display the messages.
- Ability to change the messages background color.
- Ability to add/delete message icons from the "Set message icon" window (can already be done by accessing the "msgicons" folder).
[Image: message-icon.gif]

- Ability to use animated .gif images as message icons.
- Ability to send an "Account doesn't exist" automatic reply using filter rules (I know this has a technical name but I don't rememver it; could be useful as defense against spamming, maybe).
- Ability to import/export accounts settings to make Mail Monitor updating simpler/faster.
- A better handling of the panes sizes when the main window is resized (toolbars appears when not neccessary, automatic resizing of the "From", "Subject", ...fields).
- Ability to set the Mail Monitor window to open automatically when a certain rules is triggered.
- Ability to have a Mail Monitor icon on the desktop, that would animate when new mail is received (maybe when using active desktop?).
- Option to trigger a .wav file when spam is received (a small "pop" sound as used by some pop-up stoppers programs) (already available).

That's all I can think of right now. I'll come back with more later. :0 :p
rij73

33 posts 9 threads Joined: Jan 2003
09-21-2003, 06:04 PM -
How about, automatically load message when certain conditions are met, like the email is from the friend list?
cmishima

347 posts 138 threads Joined: Jun 2001
09-21-2003, 06:13 PM -
I think some of your requests are already available in ver 1.9.
Quote:Option to trigger a .wav file when spam is received
1.9 can play sound when message satifies conditions.

Also some of your requests I made in my first post (import/export accounts)

I think best to check 1.9 first the please explain more clearly (with illustration if possible) which are your new requests.

Thank you
Please read the True Launch Bar FAQ (Frequently asked questions)
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.truelaunchbar.info">http://www.truelaunchbar.info</a><!-- m -->
Denis

09-22-2003, 02:11 AM -
Hello cmishima. Smile
Quote:I think some of your requests are already available in ver 1.9.
"Option to trigger a .wav file when spam is received"
Yes, sorry about that. ???
I don't think any of the others are already available.
But please let me know if I'm wrong. Wink
Quote:Also some of your requests I made in my first post
I know, but don't see it as a problem, on the contrary.
The more a feature is requested, the more it shows Yuri how important it is to Mail Monitor users, don't you think? Smile
Quote:...then please explain more clearly (with illustration if possible) which are your new requests.
Ok, I will. Wink
I'm not too keen on posting big images though.
I'm on a modem connection and your images add 40 seconds to the time it takes this page to load. ???

P.S: I added a few mock-ups to my first post.
@ Yuri: please let me know if you'd like to explain some of my requests or add more mock-ups. Smile
Lazlo

11 posts 6 threads Joined: Feb 2002
09-23-2003, 02:57 PM -
I'd like to see a user configurable delay at Windows startup before Mail Monitor attempts to connect.

Previously I had a dial-up connection and Mail Monitor would try to check before the connection was made. Now I have an ADSL connection but I run mail monitor through a couple of local proxies (one for spam checking, one for webmail connection) and Mail Monitor will attempt to check for mail before these are up and running.

In both instances Mail Monitor gives a connection failed error, whereas if there was a user configurable delay this error would only appear when there is a real problem.

Lazlo
rij73

09-24-2003, 10:50 AM -
Here's another one...

How about a filter action that automatically forwards messages to another address (like cell phone). It would be nice if this could be easily turned on and off, and if preferences could be set for how many characters to forward.

See: http://mobile4you.4team.biz/?page=h....ge=http for the idea...
mark76uk

111 posts 17 threads Joined: Feb 2003
09-24-2003, 02:26 PM -
It seems strange to me that the Mail Monitor plugin is
becoming something serious as Eudora or Outlook Express.
It's gotten so many features that it could be sold seperately!

All the other plugins are about enhancing the desktop, yet
Mail Monitor doesn't improve the desktop environment more
than any other good email program. True Launch Bar is about
enhancing the desktop, right?

/Mark
Denis

09-24-2003, 03:09 PM -
Well, mark76uk, I have never seen TLB as a desktop enhancement, more like a handy tool to make our lifes easier. Smile
I believe it started as a quick-launch replacement (hence its name) and that's what made me interested in it at first.
But it has grown into much more than that, mainly via its plugins, of which Mail Monitor is the only one I use.

I'm sure if Yuri decided to sell Mail monitor separately he would find quite a lot of peope willing to pay for it.
I'm not sure if that was your point though. Big Grin
rij73

09-24-2003, 03:11 PM -
I consider mail monitor to be in the pop email checker utility family. Most of those kinds of programs reside in the system tray. I also consider mail monitor to be a desktop enhancement, because it integrates a mail checker with the quick launch area and saves you from having to run another 3rd party program in the system tray.
Denis

09-24-2003, 03:19 PM -
..."saves you from having to run another 3rd party program in the system tray."

Which is exactly what I was doing before using Mail Monitor. Smile
Doug Smith

218 posts 21 threads Joined: Jul 2001
09-24-2003, 04:17 PM -
rij73 Wrote:I consider mail monitor to be in the pop email checker utility family. Most of those kinds of programs reside in the system tray. I also consider mail monitor to be a desktop enhancement, because it integrates a mail checker with the quick launch area and saves you from having to run another 3rd party program in the system tray.
If you read back over the older posts before you started using True Launch Bar you'll see that one of the long-term plans is to incorporate the system tray into True Launch Bar. Mail Monitor is a part of the strategy.
Denis

09-24-2003, 04:30 PM -
"...one of the long-term plans is to incorporate the system tray into True Launch Bar."

Cool. Big Grin

Is this plan measured in months or years? Smile
mark76uk

111 posts 17 threads Joined: Feb 2003
09-25-2003, 09:47 AM -
Well, I guess it's hard to argue against such a high quality plugin. Perhaps what we see now is just the foundation for some innovative features which tie in to the True Launch Bar.

/Mark
(P.S. How is it that Mail Monitor relates to incorporating the system tray into TLB? I don't understand.)