Taskbar Plugin Idea - Taskbar Plugin Idea
Started by KiNG_ZaGz

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10 posts in this topic
KiNG_ZaGz

11 posts 7 threads Joined: Jan 2004
01-28-2004, 02:49 AM -
I have a suggestion for a new feature that would be extremely usefull for people with multimonitor setups. What if you added a plugin of some sort that simulated the taskbar itself. It would show the tiles for different tasks running on a particular monitor, just like on the standrd taskbar. This could then be added to a toolbar on secondary monitors, to show the tasks running on those monitos. I'm currently using a program called ultramon to do this, but it would be excellent if I could integrate that into a standard toolbar.
shapeshifter

658 posts 24 threads Joined: Sep 2002
01-28-2004, 04:58 AM -
Please do not cross-post. Thank you.
Dracula

407 posts 28 threads Joined: Dec 2002
01-28-2004, 05:44 AM -
Well in the other thread he got a reply of some auto-snub bot, but he got the message: this is the place where plugin suggestions belong... Smile

About the taskbar idea itself... if I recall correctly, Yuri had already been trying to replace explorer entirely, which required some kind of other host for TLB (since TLB itself is not a shell).
I can't remember how far he got with the TLBhost, but I'm curious about the progress...

This way TLB could not only replace the taskbar, but also replace the system tray and that would be really nice!

Imagine it... No explorer.exe, just a TLB-Shell :-D
Windows 7, IE 9.0, Shell 6.0.6000.16386, TLB 4.2.3 beta
KiNG_ZaGz

01-28-2004, 06:16 AM -
I wasn't trying to cross post or be a nuisance or something, I just wanted to repost in the right forum this time. Sorry about the other post, I was thinking of the idea as more of a feature, so it seemed like a good idea to post it there. I couldn't find anyway to delete the post myself, so if a mod can delete it for me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. Anyway, I think the idea of doing away with explorer sounds excellent. It would still have to be there for viewing the file system, perhaps just calling an explorer object or something encapsulated in the TLB shell, so you could display file object, etc. It would be an excellent system, and so much more extensible and robust than explorer itself. It would be sweet to have a shell that was completely free form and customizable like that.
mark76uk

111 posts 17 threads Joined: Feb 2003
02-01-2004, 06:37 AM -
I'm avidly waiting for this too. However, proper dockable bars
are somewhere in UltraMon's future. I think your campaign
would be better directed in their forums. Try this thread.
See if we can keep it at the top of the forum!

It'll be a happy day when we can mix True Launch and
UltraMon bars.

/Mark
HorusUK

458 posts 40 threads Joined: Dec 2003
02-01-2004, 01:51 PM -
Errr, to a degree, I don't have to much of a problem with TLB & Ultramon. The two work together well, AFAIK....
KiNG_ZaGz

02-02-2004, 05:34 AM -
That's an excellent idea mark, I wish I had thought of that. It would even look better too, having both bars look the same (like a taskbar), instead of having a taskbar on one side, and a toolbar on the other. The two programs work fine with each other now, it just looks aweful having a toolbar with a taskbar looking thing right below it, with the visual style I use one is gray and the other blue and it just looks... blah. Especially having the grabber on the toolbar. I put my two cents in on that thread on UltraMon's site too, by the way.
HorusUK

458 posts 40 threads Joined: Dec 2003
02-02-2004, 03:59 PM -
Well done KiNG_ZaGz! Let us all know what they say!
Back once again...

02-07-2004, 01:00 PM -
I'd also like to see TLB take over the taskbar but I have a different perspective on how this should work.

I run my monitor at 1600x1200 but I need to set the icons in TLB to 32x32 so I can see them better. As such my task bars quickly losing ground to shortcuts, plug-ins and menus. I can only view four running apps at once before the taskbar buttons begin to shrink.

As such, I'd like to see the taskbar display icons only and have arrows which allow the user to scroll through the overflow if there isn't enough room to view all the running apps at once. This would sort fo work like the Mac dock but I think if done correctly it could be better than the dock and the taskbar. WindowsXP task grouping would still work but instead of the number beside the icon, TLB could use 16x16 skinnable overlay badges.
shapeshifter

658 posts 24 threads Joined: Sep 2002
02-07-2004, 01:15 PM -
Quote:I'd like to see the taskbar display icons only and have arrows which allow the user to scroll through the overflow if there isn't enough room to view all the running apps at once.
An interesting option that I've tried before, but I find that I frequently have several of the same application running at the same time with different documents loaded. Extra keystrokes/mouse clicks and wasted time waiting for tooltips are among my pet peeves, so I find it easier to display the document title on the taskbar. Icons only and instant tooltips might work, but I'd more likely than not get annoyed with them, too.
So I feel that this might be a good option to have in TLB, as long as it's just an option and not the only behavior.

In the meantime, check out this page for some third-party apps that might do what you're looking for.