Weather and Health Monitor Skins - This skin is for menus
Started by bbfi

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

22 posts in this topic
Scott

84 posts 18 threads Joined: Feb 2004
02-27-2004, 02:34 PM -
Thanks for the welcome! But nope, nothing in the tooltip. Everything "looks" fine--I mean, I have the menu set up correctly, and all that. The only thing missing is the data. Smile

I am also using the standard Weather Monitor plugin (using Weather Underground), and that works fine. Kinda beside the point, but...

I think I just need to know what URL to use, or what "page" of Weather.com to use.
bbfi

132 posts 4 threads Joined: Feb 2003
02-27-2004, 02:50 PM -
Hi Scott,

Use http://www.w3.weather.com/weather/local/14586 instead of your link of http://www.w3.weather.com/outlook/driving/local/14586 and see if that helps. Wink

I found the problem after trying your Zip and also getting no info. The Providers file has to be edited (didn't notice this until now). Each Custom Parameter reference I used also includes the zip code. So the zip I originally designed the Providers file with is actually included in the file and therefore it will only work at that zip code area. ???

Solving the problem is fairly easy though. Open up the Providers file with any text editor and change all the 11530 values to your zip of 14586. Save the file and try again. Should work. However, each time you change your zip, this editing has to be done again. ???

If anyone has a better idea for the Providers file to work without having to edit it each time the zip is changed, please let us know. Smile

EDIT - See post below for fix of problem and download.
Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
02-27-2004, 02:58 PM -
Well Scott, you can use many different pages to gather the weather. Usually most people would want to choose the page that either has the closest weather station to them or that has the individual weather items they wish to see in the plugin. For instance some people may wish to see the UV Index but some weather providers do not offer it on their weather site. Then another weather site must be selected that has the UV Index and is close enough to your base to be meaningful.

You can use any eather page with any skin. The provider.ini file is used to grab the data from the weather page and the skin.ini file is used to display that data in the plugin.

So....would you like assistance to find a good weather provider for your area? There is of course weather.com that you have found as well as AWS and Intellicast and Weather Underground to name just a few.

Pick one and we can work on it! Please let us know.
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
Scott

02-27-2004, 03:28 PM -
Editing weather.com-5-day.ini, and using the alternate URL per bbfi, did the trick. I haven't verified the values being populated, but at least there are values there to begin with! Smile

Thanks a lot, QSection, for the replies. I appreciate the help. And thanks for those weather site URLs!
bbfi

02-27-2004, 03:37 PM -
Okay. I reworked the Providers file and it works fine now.

I am attaching the fixed Providers file here to be downloaded. I hope this works. Wink
bbfi

02-27-2004, 04:03 PM -
Scott,

The edited file in my previous post is the sure cure for the problem so no editing has to be done. Wink
Scott

02-27-2004, 04:39 PM -
OK, cool, the editing advice did work, but the reworked version is better yet. Thanks! It's a beautiful thing.