Multiple entries showing in Add/Remove
Started by silentabyss

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

14 posts in this topic
silentabyss

7 posts 1 threads Joined: Dec 2004
12-01-2004, 01:57 PM -
I am finally getting around to asking this question. This has been an issue for me ever since using TLB.
Whenever I have done an update to the program I end up with yet another entry showing in add/remove. I now have three showing there. If I attempt to uninstall one it removes TLB completely. How does one go about updating this program and not getting additional entries in Add/Remove? I find that extremely annoying.

I have also read over the FAQS page and particularly the part where it shows the correct procedure for updating. It shows a screenshot there of a menu that I do not see on my system (running WinXP Pro). I'm not sure how to add an image to the post here, otherwise I would.
Dracula

407 posts 28 threads Joined: Dec 2002
12-01-2004, 03:06 PM -
Make sure you use TLB version 3.2 and install plugins (and updates) using the Component Manager. This will not create individual entries in Add/Remove software for each plugin anymore.

If there are several "True Launch Bar" entries, you could remove them by uninstalling each of them, you'll get an error message for some of them, but at least all entries will disappear. Then install latest version, which will add one single entry.

Adding attachments (such as images) really isn't difficult: try scrolling the page down while editing your post, and try to guess what the section "Add an Attachment" would do... :p
Windows 7, IE 9.0, Shell 6.0.6000.16386, TLB 4.2.3 beta
silentabyss

12-01-2004, 03:15 PM -
Can you please be more specific when you state to use the component manager? I update the program from within it's own interface. Surely that is how it is designed to be used. That always creates the additional entries in Add/Remove. Also, I do not use any additonal plugins for TLB.

Normally attachments and adding images are two different things. I wanted to use the IMG tags but it was not straight forward as to how to accomplish that. I do understand how to add an attachment.
silentabyss

12-01-2004, 03:33 PM -
I am going to put two attachments here. One showing the screenshot of the menu from your FAQs stating how to disable TLB. I have never seen thatt option yet in any of my menus. The second attachment will show what my menu looks like. Hope this helps.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Dracula

12-01-2004, 03:34 PM -
The Component Manager can be found here:
- Start > (All) Programs > True Launch Bar > Components Manager
- Right-click TLB > TLB Settings... > About > Check for updates

And please mention which version of TLB you're using in your next post. This can be found in the same About screen described above.
silentabyss

12-01-2004, 03:41 PM -
This is what I have in add/remove. I have at a previous time removed all of this and reinstalled from scratch. This fixes it only until I update it again, and then it adds another entry.

silentabyss

12-01-2004, 03:46 PM -
I am using version 3.2 Is using the component manager as you show different than updating it this way? See screenshot.

Dracula

12-01-2004, 04:07 PM -
The button "Check for updates" simply launches the one and only Components Manager. And if you use that to upgrade TLB in the future it will not create an additional entry. You'll just have to get rid of the existing entries from previous updates, either by editing the registry directly (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall) or referring to this post from above.
silentabyss

12-01-2004, 04:20 PM -
As I have stated earlier. I have already done that on a previous occasion in trying to solve this problem. It didn't work at that time. The next time I updated it, there was the second entry in Add/Remove.

I will do it again in case this was a bug that has been addressed since the last time I tried it. I will get back to you with the results. Thanks for your responses.

Just so this is not mis understood in my situation here. I have always used what you refer to as the components manager to update True Launch Bar. I have never updated it in any other way.

Currently, I have completely removed the program and all additional entries in add/remove. The registry has been cleaned of all leftover entries and teh installation folder was removed. I have reinstalled the program and I now have to wait until there is another availble update before I can do this again.

I will be back again after that to let you know what happens. I don't expect it will behave properly though in that regard as it hasn't yet.

Can you also explain where to find that menu selection showing in the screenshot I posted from your FAQ'S? The one showing how to close the toolbar. I have not ever seen that and have no idea how to close it. Perhaps that is why it is not updating properly as it states to close it first.
Dracula

12-01-2004, 05:44 PM -
Indeed the "Close toolbar" option is not always visible.
Right-click on an empty spot or at the far left of the windows taskbar and make sure that "Lock taskbar" is not checked. Then right-click on the left edge of TLB, and the option should be there.

Btw, an other way to disable TLB is to right-click somewhere on the taskbar (which is either locked or unlocked), go into the 'Toolbars' menu and uncheck "True Launch Bar", as shown in the attached image.

Oh, and please use the edit button if you want to add notes to a previous message and nobody else has replied yet Wink

silentabyss

12-02-2004, 03:00 AM -
Thanks!, I think just deselecting the toolbar is far easier than trying to click in the exact spot to get it to show the close toolbar option. It might be a good idea to add the instructions on how to locate that in the FAQ, becasue that is not intuitive at all. I never leave my toolbar unlocked so I never would have found that.

I think in the future to prevent some issues with this I will just completely uninstall this program each time there is an update. Doing this in order to remove the additional entries in Add/Remove also resolved a long shut down issue I have been having and was not able to resolve. This seems to have been related to True Launch Bar and the way it has been updating improperly. It now shuts down quickly as it should.

I really do enjoy the program, it is a great way to organize shortcuts and get them off of the desktop, and access to them is quick.
naga

13 posts 3 threads Joined: Mar 2004
12-03-2004, 10:18 PM -
silentabyss Wrote:...
I think in the future to prevent some issues with this I will just completely uninstall this program each time there is an update. Doing this in order to remove the additional entries in Add/Remove also resolved a long shut down issue I have been having and was not able to resolve. This seems to have been related to True Launch Bar and the way it has been updating improperly. It now shuts down quickly as it should.

I am having this exact problem. Is this the only way to get around it?
Dracula

12-04-2004, 05:00 AM -
Erm, have you read the entire thread?

You could tweak the registry on the location I mentioned, you'll automatically know what to do when you see the keys. And if not, then use the uninstall/reinstall method. Or just leave the entries there, they won't hurt your system Wink
naga

13 posts 3 threads Joined: Mar 2004
12-04-2004, 11:32 AM -
Dracula Wrote:Erm, have you read the entire thread?

You could tweak the registry on the location I mentioned, you'll automatically know what to do when you see the keys. And if not, then use the uninstall/reinstall method. Or just leave the entries there, they won't hurt your system Wink

Yes Dracula, I was referring to the long shutdown issue. I did the registry tweak and it helped a bit. I was wondering if the reinstall method was the only other way to do it. Thanks for you help. Smile