optimize memory request
Started by rij73

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5 posts in this topic
rij73

33 posts 9 threads Joined: Jan 2003
01-24-2005, 10:02 AM -
I was thinking that it would be cool if I could have the option to optimize memory when clicking on the system monitor. I know it's available from the right-click menu of the process viewer, but when my system monitor shows high ram usage, it would be so much easier to only have to click once right on the meter rather than go to the process viewer, right-click, and select optimize memory...

what do you think?
Dracula

407 posts 28 threads Joined: Dec 2002
01-24-2005, 02:28 PM -
That would be very convenient indeed, but I prefer my current left-click action. I'm sure you can find many tools that 'optimize' memory and assign one of those as "run on click" action. That's the idea of a user-configurable action... Wink

Also keep in mind that 'optimizing' memory sounds more useful than it really is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the time it just swaps around some data to free some physical memory, and Windows will swap it back within several minutes.
Windows 7, IE 9.0, Shell 6.0.6000.16386, TLB 4.2.3 beta
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
01-24-2005, 02:41 PM -
Quote:Also keep in mind that 'optimizing' memory sounds more useful than it really is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the time it just swaps around some data to free some physical memory, and Windows will swap it back within several minutes.
I think that you are right. Every time when I try to use some of memory optimizer all I get all memory goes to the swap. But it some cases this can be useful to force this.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
rij73

33 posts 9 threads Joined: Jan 2003
01-24-2005, 03:06 PM -
Yeah.. I've tried lots of memory optimizers, but most of them live in the system tray. I definitely don't want something that's always running... kind of defeats the purpose. If you know of a good freeware app that you can run with a command switch to optimize and immediately quit, that would be great...
sdennis91

41 posts 8 threads Joined: Apr 2003
01-24-2005, 03:38 PM -
I think this should be made as a new plugin. Take the optomize feature from the process viewer and create a new plugin from it. It could be a bit of a small tool instead but if you make it a plugin then people would have to buy tlb to use the plugin after the trial period. Where as if it were a small tool anyone could get it free. Also on the plugin add a feature to defragment the memory. By default clicking you optomize the memory but if you right click you can select to defrag the memory, and set up other options of the plugin. This plugin if possible could replace the system monitor memory function by making Memory Optomizer Plugin skinable as well. This will allow us to see how much memory is being used just like the system monitor plugin shows. Also add a feature to plugin that auto optimizes and defrags the memory every so often on timed interveals. I think this would be a great plugin to go along side the process viewer. However the process viewer does need added functions like path to the process in use.