Port Monitor Plugin makes Explorer crash
Started by David Tong

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2 posts in this topic
David Tong

55 posts 15 threads Joined: Jul 2006
07-27-2007, 11:55 AM -
While playing with Port Monitor plugin over the past couple of days I found that quite frequently (within a few minutes of opening it by hovering on its icon in a tool bar) it makes Explorer crash. I can't pin it down to a specific action because the same operation does not always trigger the event, but today the following things made it happen

1. Just hovering on its icon in a toolbar and letting it open.
2. Right clicking on the opened display and attempting to alter the number of columns in its display.

The symptoms are:

1. The Port Monitor display becomes unresponsive and the other icons in the toolbar that it 'lives in' also freeze.
2. The first click on an icon in a second TL bar (such as a virtual folder) makes the folder display appear but then that too stays frozen on-screen when I move the cursor away from it. The cursor remains in hour-glass mode.
3. At that point I can sometimes get another virtual folder to open but then that freezes as well.
4. I use a second monitor as an extended desktop with Ultramon providing a second task bar. While the above-described events are happening on the main monitor, the second monitor continues to work normally (I'm typing these notes on the second monitor while the events occur on the main monitor - the main monitor is now completely frozen).
5. The only way back is to stop the process explorer.exe in Task Manager and restart it. After that things work normally again until I start using Port Monitor again.

I searched for 'bugs in Port Monitor' and found just one brief reference at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forum.tsoftcentral.com/viewtopic.php?t=2847&highlight=port+monitor">http://forum.tsoftcentral.com/viewtopic ... rt+monitor</a><!-- m -->. This was a post by Dracula on May 28, 2007.

Hoping this helps you to track it down when you can get round to focussing on it :-).

David Tong.

PS. I'm running TLB with fully-patched WinXP on a Toshiba Tecra M5 laptop.

PPS. I just played a bit more with it and it seems that a good way to trigger the crash is to right click in the Port Monitor pop-up window. I also noticed that sometimes the second display becomes unresponsive as well as the main screen. Also I noticed that Task Manager showed memory usage by Explorer during the crash when the second screen stayed working was 78MB, but it's only about 45MB normally and it remained at 45MB when both screens froze.
Dracula

407 posts 28 threads Joined: Dec 2002
07-28-2007, 04:54 AM -
Yes, I also still notice explorer freezing occasionally when playing with Port Monitor. And also I have been unable to find a way to reproduce it.

Btw, nice high-quality post there, David Smile
Windows 7, IE 9.0, Shell 6.0.6000.16386, TLB 4.2.3 beta