Started by Stormlight

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2 posts in this topic
Stormlight

2 posts 1 threads Joined: Apr 2008
11-13-2013, 09:03 AM -
Old computer setup:
[Windows XP Pro] I created a TLB folder on my D: drive. From within TLB I created a profile that pointed to this folder. In this TLB folder I created additional folders with different names that appeared as menus on the TLB Taskbar menu. Within those folders I copied-and-pasted shortcuts, which TLB recognized the next time I opened the TLB taskbar menu. I also backed up the TLB Taskbar menu and settings and routinely saved this file in the TLB folder on the D: drive. Then TLB folder contents and backup file were saved to an external HD.

New computer setup:
[Windows 8.0] I first installed TLB. From my external HD, I copied the TLB folder's contents (including the restore file) to the laptop's C: drive. I then booted up TLB and pointed my profile to this folder. Then I used TLB's restore function, using the backup file I'd made earlier on my old computer.

NOTE: TLB installed in the "Program Files" directory (the default install setting) instead of the "Program Files (x86)" directory where all my other programs installed.

Issue:
The TLB Taskbar menu came up along with all the menus and sub-menus, including separators, labels, colors, etc. But none of the shortcuts appeared inside the menus and sub-menus, even though they are still in the main TLB folder on my laptop's C: drive. However, the program shortcuts in the main menu (those NOT inside other menus or sub-menus) did appear and I changed the target path for them to match Win 8.0's different directory structure.

I deleted one of TLB taskbar menus and recreated it by using the right-click/drag method. All the shortcuts reappeared but now all separators, bold letters, colors, descriptions (!), etc. are now gone. These I will have to redo again.

Perhaps I don't fully understand how the backup/restore works in TLB. Did I miss a step or do something I should not have when I tried to transfer my settings to my laptop? Thank you for any help and insight you can provide.

Dave
This post was last modified: 11-20-2013, 04:20 AM by Q Section.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
11-13-2013, 11:56 AM -
Quote:NOTE: TLB installed in the "Program Files" directory (the default install setting) instead of the "Program Files (x86)" directory where all my other programs installed.
True Launch Bar is native x64 application, so it is installed into "Program Files" folder by default.

Quote:Perhaps I don't fully understand how the backup/restore works in TLB. Did I miss a step or do something I should not have when I tried to transfer my settings to my laptop? Thank you for any help and insight you can provide.
TLB uses the absolute path for virtual folders and shortcuts, so if you've changed the path, menu will be empty.

It is possible to restore the layout. First you have to restore tlb from the backup to other toolbar folder: we need some files from there. Now find the files tlbdata.xml in the old toolbar folder and copy to the corresponding folders of the new toolbar folder. After refreshing TLB all separators will be restored.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Stormlight

2 posts 1 threads Joined: Apr 2008
11-14-2013, 09:27 PM -
Hi Yuri,

Thank you for your reply.

I located the tlbdata.xml files and used IE to read the them. I discovered that the tlbdata.xml files ARE the original files. (There are descriptions in them that I remember in the originals.) Iā€™m assuming the restore was successful but for some reason TLB is not loading the XML data.

Iā€™ve started deleting each menu in the TLB taskbar popup menu. Then I use the ā€œNew / Menuā€ option and point to the folder with the same menu name in my TLB folder. Next, I refresh TLB and the shortcuts now appear. However, any shortcut descriptions in the tlbdata.xml file still does not appear. I checked the XML file and the descriptions are there but does not show when I highlight the shortcut. Right now I am inserting the descriptions back into the shortcuts by copying them from IEā€™s XML viewer and pasting them back in using TLBā€™s ā€œAppearanceā€ option. After doing this, the descriptions now appear.

Again, thanks for your help,

Dave