Task Bar Lock-up - Explorer un-responsive
Started by Michael_Myers

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

46 posts in this topic
bbfi

132 posts 4 threads Joined: Feb 2003
02-07-2003, 02:30 PM -
I'm not sure if my problem is related to the lockup problem, but here goes. After awhile, my computer CPU usuage goes to 100% and stays there until I go to the Taskbar and deselect my True Launch bar as the toolbar used. The explorer (not the entire system) than crashes, restarts, my True Launch bar restarts, and the CPU usuage goes back to normal which is between 4 to 8%.

Windows Version: Microsoft Windows XP Personal version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer Version: 6.0.2800.1106
Pentium 4 1500mhz
512 RAM
TLB version: 2.2
1024 X 768 32 bit display
???
shapeshifter

658 posts 24 threads Joined: Sep 2002
02-07-2003, 03:17 PM -
Quote:I'm not sure if my problem is related to the lockup problem, but here goes.

I have essentially the same setup, but I've never experienced this problem. What tlb plugins do you use? Is there any other software that you usually have running (maybe just in the system tray)?
WinXP Pro (5.1.2600) SP1 TLB 3.0 IE 6.0.2800.1106 Shell 6.0.2800.1106
Command Line 3.3.0.0 Process Viewer 2.0.0.0 Calculator 1.0.0.0
Weather Forecast 1.0.0.0 Media Control 4.0.0.0 Volume Control 2.1.0.0
Net Monitor 1.4.0.0 Up Time 2.1.0.0 System Monitor 2.4.0.0
Drive Space 2.3.0.0 Mail Monitor 1.9.9.0 TLB Clock 1.3.0.0
bbfi

02-08-2003, 03:18 PM -
shapeshifter,

I have the Drive Space and Weather Monitor tlb plugins. There are quite a few programs running at all times in the system tray. They include AVG virus checker, Agnitum Oupost Firewall, Mailwasher, Directory Opus, Wordweb thesaurus, Webshots, Windows TaskManager, Yankee Clipper III, Dialog Helper, and some others. My Taskbar looks like the jpg below.

[Image: Taskbar.jpg]

While I was typing this, the CPU usuage went to 100% and to get it back to normal, I did as I always do as mentioned in my previous posting. I could be working for 10 minutes or a couple of hours before this problem occurs. I do not see any consistency in it.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
02-08-2003, 04:01 PM -
katoaristera
Thanks for setup.ini Please try to turn off the option Use system icon cache in the Advanced tab. Let me know about results.

bbfi
When explorer crash Windows XP shows the module name where the error has taken place. Please tell me that module name. It can be tlb.dll if the bug in the TLB or other. Also can you check in the TaskManager what process take 100% CPU time? Press CTRL+ESC to open TaskManager. Also try to close TLB with normal CPU load.
Another question: do you install Weather Monitor version 1.2 clearly or updated it from version 1.1?
And the last question: do you use Virtual Folders?
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
shapeshifter

02-08-2003, 04:15 PM -
Wow... I think that is the most system tray icons I've ever seen loaded at once. I use drive space and weather monitor, too, and like I said, I've never experienced this problem. It's possible TLB is conflicting with one or more of the other (I count at least 19?) programs running. You might try shutting the programs down one at a time, then letting your system run for "awhile" to see if the problem persists. If not, the conflict was likely with the last program you shut down. If explorer still crashes after you've eliminated all the (visible) running programs, you could try looking for signs that invisible programs are running in your startup folder, registry, etc. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
shapeshifter

02-08-2003, 04:17 PM -
Hmm.. Yuri's suggestions make more sense... look into those first Wink
katoaristera

73 posts 19 threads Joined: Nov 2002
02-08-2003, 04:24 PM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:katoaristera
Thanks for setup.ini Please try to turn off the option Use system icon cache in the Advanced tab. Let me know about results.
Bad news ??? ...it was already turned off !
Other ideas Smile ?
Thanks
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

02-08-2003, 07:01 PM -
katoaristera Wrote:Bad news <!--emo&??? ...it was already turned off !
Other ideas Smile ?
Hmm... I also notice that Popup menu on mouse hover time exactly equal the time when tooltips opened. Maybe the problem is here. Try to change this option into 400 or 600.
The TORDEX Team
bbfi

02-10-2003, 10:40 AM -
Quote:When explorer crash Windows XP shows the module name where the error has taken place. Please tell me that module name.
That info is not shown. After I have the CPU problem and closed True Launch bar, the Taskbar disappears completely, no error messages occur, and about 5 to 10 seconds later, the Taskbar reappears with True Launch bar and CPU usuage back to normal.
Quote:Also can you check in the TaskManager what process take 100% CPU time? Press CTRL+ESC to open TaskManager. Also try to close TLB with normal CPU load.
The program that uses 100% is explorer. I tried closing TLB under a normal load and there is no problem at all and the Taskbar remains open. I can reload TLB with no problems also.
Quote:Another question: do you install Weather Monitor version 1.2 clearly or updated it from version 1.1?
I don't remember if I uninstall version 1.1 first or just installed 1.2 over it.
Quote:And the last question: do you use Virtual Folders?
Yes, I do. The left four icons in my Taskbar are virtual folders. 1) Start menu and program files, 2) My documents, 3) My photos, 4) Some favorite links.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

02-12-2003, 05:48 PM -
bbfi
hmm... still cannot reproduce Sad I'll try to inspect code for possible bugs. BTW can you remove plugins from TLB for some hours? Just drag them on desktop holding SHIFT key Wink

katoaristera
I'm working during some days with your settings but cannot reproduce the bug Sad I'll continue attempts.
BTW cool custom colors Big Grin
The TORDEX Team
bbfi

02-13-2003, 02:22 PM -
Quote:BTW can you remove plugins from TLB for some hours?
I have noticed that when the CPU usage goes to 100%, if I remove the plugins, the CPU usage goes back to normal. Sometimes, explorer crashes and restarts, other times it's okay. I am going to try each of the following separately, Drive Space, Weather Monitor, Mail Monitor and see if the problem occurs with one of them to narrow down the problem. If I remember correctly, I did not have a CPU problem until I added more than one of the plugins.
???
katoaristera

73 posts 19 threads Joined: Nov 2002
02-14-2003, 01:15 AM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:katoaristera
I'm working during some days with your settings but cannot reproduce the bug Sad I'll continue attempts.
BTW cool custom colors Big Grin
Thanks a lot for your tries and for your compliments. My bar that you can see in attached pic is quite simple but according to me quite useful and nice without taking a lot of space to the screen and memory to the system (which are my first aim).
Concerning the explorer bug, my opinion is this one, according to the following:
1) Many of tlb users suffer this bug, all or most of all I think have Win 2000 or XP (both home and Prof);
2) To me (and think to some others) the bug happens very irregularly:
- sometimes while using virtual folder,
- sometimes while moving some button within places of same bar or within different bars,
- sometimes while using other programs (winamp, other I don't remember);
Therefore, and sorry for my non-technical language, I thik it is not a bug related to some settings in tlb, but a "core-problem" related to some incompatibily somewhere beetwen tlb and Win32 systems.
From now on I will try to register every time exactly which was the action that caused the explorer shut down and keep a journal that I will send to you.
Thanks a lot, I can no more renounce to TLB ???
bbfi

02-15-2003, 12:33 PM -
Quote:Yori - BTW can you remove plugins from TLB for some hours? Another question: do you install Weather Monitor version 1.2 clearly or updated it from version 1.1?
Here's an update on my CPU problem. I removed all plugins and there were no CPU problems for half a day. So, after trying TLB without plugins, I decided to try it with Drive Space. This worked fine. I then decided to uninstall Weather Monitor and delete all of its files. I reinstalled version 1.2. Still no problems. I finally added the Mail Monitor and all three are running and I am on day 3.
Smile Therefore, it is possible that the CPU problem was caused by going from Weather Monitor 1.1 to 1.2 without uninstalling it first and deleting all previous files. Also, see my next statement to shapeshifter.

Quote:shapeshifter - Wow... I think that is the most system tray icons I've ever seen loaded at once.
Windows XP is so much better than 98 SE. With 98 SE, I could never have all of these plus more than 8 large applications running at the same time. As I type this, (using XP SP1 and with the previous 19 programs in the system tray, along with some that are invisible), the following are opened. Ten (10) IE windows, Outlook Express, ten (10) Opus Directory windows, Word Perfect 10, Microsoft Word 2002, American Heritage Dictionary, Notetab Light, e-Sword Bible, Quick Verse 6.0 Bible, Microsoft Search, Corel Photo Paint, Goldwave Audio Editor, Spider Writer HTML Editor, Copernic Agent Basic, and Microsoft Money. And the three TLB plugins mentioned before are also installed and working now. I could probably open up more, but I feel my point is made. Not only is this a good test for XP, but also TLB and its plugins.
Big Grin
bbfi

02-17-2003, 09:57 AM -
I guess I spoke too soon. A day after I posted my message that all was okay, the CPU problem came back. For three days, all was well, then all of a sudden I've had half a dozen CPU usuage problems. Most of them were fixed by closing down the Weather Monitor. However, today I had to restart the computer because Explorer completely crashed and wouldn't restart by itself!
???
bbfi

02-19-2003, 09:28 AM -
Wow, things have gotten worse. I installed True Launch Bar version 2.2.0.1 beta and since then, when the CPU usage problems occurs, removing any plugins or even TLB causes a complete lockup and I have to restart the computer. Before the beta version, I didn't have to restart the computer. With the previous version 2.2, whenever there was a CPU problem, the removal of either TLB or the plugins would cause Taskbar to restart, then TLB would reappear, and the CPU usage would return to normal. I would hardly ever have a complete crash. Another new problem (since I installed the beta) is that sometimes when I open a virtual folder, the system crashes.
???