presstart - open at mouse location
Started by cracksloth

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
cracksloth

2 posts 2 threads Joined: Mar 2003
05-13-2003, 11:16 AM -
i have already submitted this request via email but i thought i would share it with the community. presstart should open the menu at the current mouse location, that way, you do not have to move the mouse across the screen to get to the startmenu. also, if you use tclock2 then you can assign an commandline to be launched when you rightclick the desktop. if you set it to presstart then when you rightclick on the desktop, you will get the startmenu (feels like linux or litestep)! currently you can still do this but the menu will only open in the corner of the screen. i hope someone finds this useful.
Doug Smith

218 posts 21 threads Joined: Jul 2001
05-13-2003, 12:50 PM -
I'm sure you think what you wrote is clear. For me I can't understand what you want to do.

Quote:presstart should open the menu at the current mouse location

If you are using a standard TLB taskbar at the bottom of the screen, why not just put pressstart at the very LEFT end of True Launch Bar then when you click the icon the start menu opens right there above the pressstart icon.
shapeshifter

658 posts 24 threads Joined: Sep 2002
05-13-2003, 01:25 PM -
I'm an ex-Litestep user, so this makes perfect sense to me, and I agree it would be a great feature. With cracksloth's suggested setup and modifications, you could right click on the desktop, and instead of the normal context menu, you'd get the Start menu. If you have a shortcut to PressStart at the bottom left of your screen (like I do now), it would function exactly as it does now.

Personally, I'd recommend taking this a step further by adding a command-line parameter to PressStart for position. It could be general (presstart.exe -topleft), current mouse position (presstart.exe -mousepos), or coordinates (presstart.exe -150,500). However, I'm sure this would at least double the program's size, and its small size is a major attraction, I'm sure.

I don't do "simple" very well. Can you tell?
Q Section
Weapons Я Us

899 posts 100 threads Joined: Feb 2003
05-13-2003, 06:09 PM -
Hello Everyone

Let us get this straight. Using tclock2 and adding a script one can right click anywhere on the desktop and get the Start menu. Does this apply on the screen if, say, TLB forum is open? Lastly, what is the difference between current mouse position and coördinates and general? We are using tclock2 but with its clock not showing and we use TLB clock plugin. Big Grin
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
shapeshifter

658 posts 24 threads Joined: Sep 2002
05-13-2003, 07:07 PM -
Quote:Let us get this straight. Using tclock2 and adding a script one can right click anywhere on the desktop and get the Start menu.
Yes, but currently only in its original position (bottom left corner of screen)
Quote:Does this apply on the screen if, say, TLB forum is open?
No, it must be on the desktop.
Quote:Lastly, what is the difference between current mouse position and coördinates and general?
These were only sugggestions for Yuri, they are not currently emplemented. The difference is that current mouse position would make the start menu appear at the current mouse position, where ever it happened to be on the screen. Coordinates would make the start menu appear on the screen at the specified coordinates. General would make the start menu appear in one of the specified corners (or possibly centered on a side or in the middle of the screen). Again, these do not currently work, they were only suggestions.
Quote:We are using tclock2 but with its clock not showing
Uhm, why?
Q Section
Weapons Я Us

05-13-2003, 09:48 PM -
Well you see old boy - we found this program the easiest way to 1) manipulate the caption backgrounds under the desktop icons to make them transparent, 2) to change the text color of those icons, 3) change the start button icon and 4) change the start button text. Take a look at the screenshot and let us know what you think.

Best wishes.

HMSS Q Section
HMSS Q Section
click here for 30+ ideas from a Special Plugin List
some examples=
UV Index Monitor, Allergy Monitor, TLB Version Monitor, Cinema Monitor
Visualise World Righteousness
Semper Ad Fundum
Working for the Secret Intelligence Service
Q Section
Weapons Я Us