Adding My Own Start Menu
Started by Medeiros

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

13 posts in this topic
Medeiros

13 posts 3 threads Joined: Jul 2004
07-08-2004, 07:56 PM -
I've looked on screenshots and seen that people have added the windows start menu with TLB.

I want large icons and when I do my Start button doesn't stretch tall enough. I want to kill the windows start button and add my own with TLB.

I can't figure out how to do this.

Can somebody help me out please?
shapeshifter

658 posts 24 threads Joined: Sep 2002
07-09-2004, 05:52 AM -
I don't understand what, specifically, you need help with.

There is a True Small Tool called Start Killer that removes the Windows Start Menu from the taskbar. The latest versions of TLB and SK even work in conjunction to trap the Win key and use that as a hotkey to open the first TLB menu on your first TLB bar as though it were your start menu.

If this is not what you meant, please let us know.
Medeiros

07-09-2004, 07:11 PM -
I want to set mine up like the picture has it.

The first icon in the TLB is functiononing just like the start bar (contains programs, control panel, admin etc...)

I wanna use start killer to kill the windows start button but I want to make my own in TLB, like in the picture.
Merops

14 posts 7 threads Joined: Feb 2004
07-09-2004, 11:53 PM -
Hello,
I think you have to create a new folder with all shortcuts and plugins. Then you change his icon.
HorusUK

458 posts 40 threads Joined: Dec 2003
07-10-2004, 02:13 AM -
From what I understand, you want to kill the Windows Start menu button, and replace it with a TLB menu that *looks* like the XP Start menu...

If that's the case, you could try to make it look similar by creating a 3-state PNG image of the Start button, and using Appearance|Set Image..." from the TLB context menu.
Back once again...
Medeiros

07-10-2004, 12:34 PM -
Ok, Thanks everyone for your help so far.

I'm including some pics to make things clear.

Below is what my desktop currently looks like.

Because my taskbar has been expanded, the start button looks weird (cause it doesn't reach to the bottom of the taskbar)

(Reb box is the area that looks weird)
Medeiros

07-10-2004, 12:36 PM -
Sorry, I attached the wrong image.

Ok, Thanks everyone for your help so far.

I'm including some pics to make things clear.

Below is what my desktop currently looks like.

Because my taskbar has been expanded, the start button looks weird (cause it doesn't reach to the bottom of the taskbar)

(Reb box is the area that looks weird)
Medeiros

07-10-2004, 12:40 PM -
I want to create a button like the one boxed in red.

It has many of the same folders as the windows start menu (like Programs, Control Panel, Printers, Turn off etc...)

Do I have to create this menu from scratch (adding all the folders I want to use) or is there a way to copy the start menu.

I'm basically looking to copy the start menu into my own button and add volume controls and stuff to it.
Dracula

407 posts 28 threads Joined: Dec 2002
07-10-2004, 02:20 PM -
First of all, the start button is painted by Windows, and it has a fixed height. So when you enlarge the taskbar, it will always leave an empty space below, this is normal.

Secondly, after you have built your own menu, you'll want to get rid of Windows' own start button. Read the posts of shapeshifter and HorusUK. Edit: and Yuri (below), sorry I beat you there Wink

Ok, to get the menu like in the screenshot you will have to build it 'from scratch', but it's easy and not much work:

Step 1: Create a regular menu inside your main TrueLaunchBar and give it a nice icon.

Step 2: Add a virtual folder inside that menu (using right-click, New, Menu, 'Create Virtual Folder' ), and point it to "My Computer\Control Panel\Printers and Faxes". Repeat this for every other item you want to appear in the 'start menu', like virtual folder to "Control Panel" itself, and "Network Connections".

Step 3: To get your normal programs inside a menu, create a virtual folder and point it to:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\
Unfortunately this will only show programs installed in your account. You might want to replace username with "All Users" to get programs installed for all users. The normal start menu automagically merges these two folders into one menu... Sad

Step 4: Add your plugins to the menu, like the volume control, and any other you like...

That completes it... [voiceover]Next week in How to build a start menu we will see the result of Medeiros, same place, same time![/voiceover]
Windows 7, IE 9.0, Shell 6.0.6000.16386, TLB 4.2.3 beta
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
07-10-2004, 02:22 PM -
Quote:Do I have to create this menu from scratch (adding all the folders I want to use) or is there a way to copy the start menu.
You must add all folders one by one. Note that all that folders are Virtual Folder.

Quote:Because my taskbar has been expanded, the start button looks weird (cause it doesn't reach to the bottom of the taskbar)
The only way I can suggest is remove start button by StartKiller. You can access to start menu by pressing Win key or you can download PresStart utility and make shortcut to it as the first button.

BTW I can post here backup file of toolbar from screenshot so you can restore see how it configured
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Medeiros

07-10-2004, 03:46 PM -
Thanks everyone for the help.

Dracula, I'm gonna follow te steps you provided and I'll post a pic when I get it working.

On an somewhat unrelated note; I want to add another TLB to the top of my screen for the plug-ins and use the bottom TLB for my menus.

I dragged the TLB to the top and created another TLB bar at the bottom but they are identical and if I make a change to either TLB it effects the other one.

How do I set up 2 TLB which will have different menus & plug-ins?
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
07-10-2004, 03:53 PM -
Quote:How do I set up 2 TLB which will have different menus & plug-ins?
Read this topic from TLB F.A.Q.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
Medeiros

07-10-2004, 04:26 PM -
Ok, i'll check out the FAQ.

Here is my start menu
csindone

10 posts 4 threads Joined: Sep 2004
11-05-2004, 08:45 AM -
Medeiros Wrote:I want to create a button like the one boxed in red.

The icon you are looking for is a standard windows icon, select Apperance>Change Icon

Then in the File name: click the button till you see Standard Windows Icons it will change the location to C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll just scroll over and you will see it